What does 'nu' mean?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by xvicente, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

El Segundo Universe

2. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

PNIR (Post Nero Incursion Reality)

PRENIR (Pre Nero Incursion Reality eg: TOS)

PTIR (Post Temporal Incursion Reality)

NALT-Real (Nero Altered Reality)

PTA (Post Temporal Anomaly)

SANS-GK-R (Post George Kirk Reality)

NI (NARADA INCURSION)

STV (Sans-Vulcan Timeline)

and so on... :techman: [wink!]

Yep - Star Trek works for me also!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  3. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

AT - Abrams Trek or Alternate Trek

AUT - Alternate Universe Trek

4. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ or even Trek Alternate Universe or The Alternate Universe, TAU. It even has its own symbol: τ

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Again, any "Alternate Universe/Reality" labels will only work in the short term, until someone starts up another alternate Trek continuity. The goal is to find something useful in the long term -- something that isn't tied to the current perception or state of the thing, or the current involvement of any individual, but something longer-term, something that will still work 20 or 30 years from now regardless of what might happen in the interim.

6. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oddly, I always thought 'NU' stood for New Universe as well, but also was a play on the trendy alt spelling of the word new, too. Sort of like a double entendre.
    LOL!

7. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Well, I'm going with TOS, TOS Movies, BermanTrek, and JJTrek. I think people understand those even if they're not officially sanctioned.

8. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I don't see the problem with this. We'll manage that when we get to it.

I understand the desire to create a classification system that is all-powerful and all-encompassing. I really do. But it just isn't possible. The classification we have now is already fraught with anomalies and alterations.

TOS is actually called just Star Trek, so TOS is just sort of a glorified nickname;
    TNG refers to it status as sequel of the first series, but it's inherently bound to obsolescence: what about the next next generation?
    DS9 unlike any other, has a number in it. why not DSN?
    VOY and ENT aren't really acronyms, just shorthands.

I mean, where is the coherence? The robustness of it? The 3-letter rule seems the only constant here.

9. Christopher

I'm not saying it's a problem. It's just not what I'm looking for. The specific thing I'm wondering, as I've already explained, is what a more timeless, long-term designation might be.

But it's not about individual series, it's about the universes they inhabit. Bad Robot has given us this nice, handy label for the original continuity, the Prime Universe. Which is a fairly nice parallel for the name of other continuing timeline we have in Trek, the Mirror Universe. I'd just like to have a similarly straightforward and effective label for the third enduring reality that's now been introduced, one that won't become obsolete when a fourth one comes along.

And really, I don't understand why some people have gotten the idea that this is a search for acronyms. I'm looking for actual words.

But I'm just playing with ideas. I'm just wondering, or wishing. If you don't want to play the game, fine, no harm, no foul. But I'm still looking for what I'm looking for.

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

When the old pre-Internet newsgroups and BBS were all we that we had, I recall "Star Trek Classic" (STC) being used by many fans to distinguish the original series from Filmation's animated series (STA). It hadn't been all that long since the USA had its New Coke vs Coke Classic debates. About that time, David Gerrold was auctioning off cans of original Coke (not just Coke Classic) in SF convention charity auctions.

Then along came "The Next Generation". And STC seemingly morphed into the more catchy TOS, and STA became TAS, perhaps to conform with TOS.

So the concept of "nuTrek" may well have its roots in that. Trek Classic vs New Trek.

11. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

NU = Nyota Uhura

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

nuTrek = not ur (father's) (Star) Trek

13. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Something like 'the Abramsverse' or simply 'the Abrams era'?

Or maybe the Bad Robot era.

14. Christopher

I've addressed this several times already. The new continuity is currently being produced by Abrams and Bad Robot. We don't know if that will always be the case. After all, anything that anyone creates in the Trek universe is ultimately the property of CBS, so other creators can use it in future productions. Filmation Associates produced the animated series, but the Paramount-produced sequel shows were able to mention names and concepts from it ("Unification" referenced "Yesteryear," DS9 used TAS's name for Kor's 23rd-century warship, etc.) By the same token, Bad Robot is producing the current Trek movies, but it doesn't own them. CBS and Paramount share the copyright and CBS holds all the trademarks. (Which actually puts Bad Robot in a lesser position than Filmation, since Filmation actually did hold a copyright to TAS along with Roddenberry's Norway Productions. But Filmation no longer exists and Roddenberry sold Norway's Trek rights to Paramount sometime between TAS and TMP.)

So it's entirely possible that at some point in the future, someone other than Bad Robot will produce films or TV series set in the Nero-created timeline. So I'd prefer a name that doesn't specify any given creator or production company, something that's just about the timeline itself and its content or its relationship to the others.

15. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

*waits for the dust from dry and pointless facts to settle*

And your preferred name would be?

*crickets*

I think either nuTrek or JJTrek will stick for at least the two recent movies.

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Whatever term becomes the convention, it won't be one which can be specified at this time with any certainty. As with all the (generally-accepted) designations for previous Treks, we'll just have to wait and see which one floats to the top in regular usage. Even then, there's no guarantee it'll be universally agreed-upon (VOY vs. VGER, anyone?)

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't all of it start with the new Battlestar Galactica being called nuBSG, with all the nuCharacters like nuStarbuck and nuAdama, nuetc...?

18. Christopher

No, but neither can any of the other stuff I speculate about as a science-fiction writer. The point of the exercise is to imagine credible possibilities -- not what will happen, but what could work.

19. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Nope. Wasn't nu then, having already been used in describing various genres of popular music. (See: nu-disco; nu-funk; nu-metal; etc. In fiction, see: nu-Earth. See also names of many business ventures going back at least as far as the 1960s; nu isn't new.)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  20. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Nu isn't new? My head hurts...