(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't disagree with that assesment at all, and I think Everton/Villa/Spurs is roughly where we are in terms of International footy, and I think in many respects we punch above our weight. Certainly even though we have good players we tend to lack strength in depth at times.

When he became manager of Derby, the first thing Clough did was have them take down all the old trophies/pictures etc because he wanted the team to build its own history, and I've long said England won't do shit until someone has the gut to say "Fuck 1966, it was 45 years ago."

Unlikely given the British media. We're either the shittest team in the world, or the best team in the world, there's no inbetween, which is a shame cos sometimes it'd be good to celebrate that we make the quarters etc.

2. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can you imagine the wankfest that the media would whip themselves up to if we ever won the World Cup again?!

Yeah - I think the likes of Spain, Brazil, Germany, Argentina etc are far superior now. Everton or Villa is about right.

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Beckham, Ferdinand and Owen were that good though but sadly certain parts of the team weren't up to that level mainly the depth of the squad. 2002 WC and Euro 2004, we had fantastic chances to win something but we lossed the real WC final against Brazil in the last 8, the winner of that was always going to win the overall tournament and 2004 we defended our 1-0 lead when we should of attacked.

Beckham, Owen, A.Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, G.Neville who were the best of the former generation could walk into any club team back then at their peaks but sadly you need a team to win a tournament NOT 7 players from 23.

Before that thrashing from Germany at the World Cup, I always felt ENG played better against touger opposition but the problem was they normally finished even results and of course in a WC or EURO...Pens follow that result ;)

Apart from Brazil, Germany and Spain, I don't think ENG have to worry that much because we can beat the likes of France, Italy, Holland, even Argentina (who we have a superior record against) and co but of course generally we might have less of the ball during the game but until Fabio came along our defence was normally pretty strong when fit.

The Problem is were not doing what Blanc is doing with the French team and thats making wholesale changes. Capello seems so arrogrant he refuses to see what doesn't work and keeps trying it over and over to show us all hes right, Well Fabio guess what you'll never be right. ENG won't win 2012 but really its time we made a semi final again in a major tournament.

4. Angel4576

^^ France outclassed us at Wembley not long ago. We'll soon play Holland so that'll be a good measure.

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

France slipped up at the weekend like us with a 1-1 draw and against a worser team than the Swiss so there not great yet. Capello got so many things wrong against France like Jordan Henderson in an anchor role :rolleyes: and I was talking about an ENG team without Capello anyway.

Every single match bar the one defeat in 2001 since we beat thrashed them at Euro 96 has finished a draw and we have played them alot since 1996 so I expect another draw but generally their good matches.

6. Angel4576

I think generally England are one of a clutch of European nations who're suffering at the moment. Besides ourselves there's France, Italy, maybe Portugal, and maybe Holland.

I think everyone's a fair way behind Spain and Germany.

As I said above, I think we have the talent coming through, and eventually, given a decent manager he could get the most out of them. Sadly, at the moment, we're a long way off the pace.

Given the number of really good youngsters who must be close to breaking through into the senior team, I wonder if the FA would be tempted to give Stuart Pearce a crack? He has after all managed the U21s very well, for a good amount of time. He'd have that understanding and respect from the players.

7. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

The Netherlands are 6 for 6 in this Euro 2012 qualification so far and reached the finals of the World Cup last year. I would love to suffer like that.

8. Angel4576

^^ Yeah fair point. It wasn't really Holland that I was thinking of primarily, but again, I wouldn't put them in the same bracket as Spain and Germany.

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I would have Pearce as the Asst Manager behind Redknapp with his Spurs team of Bond/Jordan as caoches alongside Ray Clemence as goalie coach + England medical/physio team lead by the great Gary Lewin.

Pearce needs a vital role for the reason you stated the U21 players for the future are his players.

10. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

My biggest nightmare.

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

As long as he now realises he has to pick 10 outfield players and a goalkeeper :)

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

It's ok, Henry Kissinger and Placido Domingo will drum the corruption out of FIFA!

Seriously? Blatter really has lost the plot now...

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Liverpool must like getting ripped off...

:wtf: am sure some are later add ons but come on FFS, got Sunderland have gotten £44 million from Bent n Him in 2011 so they have serious cash to splash. Surprised that they seemed to have cooled on buying Charlie Adams who is £8 million probably and at his peak.

Well the Torres money is gone now.

Sunderland need to spend well or I can see a relegation fight for them.

14. Angel4576

Fair play though, Liverpool are assembling a pretty decent squad, and a squad that could form the next generation of England players - Kelly, Flanagan, Henderson, Carroll.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

How is Henderson worth £20 million when it looks like Utd will be able to buy Ashley Young for just £16?

Actually I guess Young only has a year left on his contract so I've answered my own question!

16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I don't doubt Jordan Henderson is a decent player and well could turn into a very good one but a deal eventually worth £20 million is INSANE. Now the papers tend to over estimate transfers sometime but anything close to this price is stupid unless a large sum is add ons depending on games he plays and breaks into ENG team etc.

Liverpool need to replace Gerrard with someone who can score goals and Charlie Adams would of been a good fit for that, Jordan is more of a Jack Wilshere type player who assists.

Liverpool need at least 1 winger and a Left Back now.

17. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The official price is 16.5

I think N'gog is also going the other way.

When Meireles played that position he was awesome. He got shifted on the right again towards the end of the season and his formed dipped.

As for wingers, Adam Johnson would be my pick but I doubt City would sell.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

£16.5 million is still too much IMO and as for Adam Johnson, he's too good to sit on the bench if I was him I would consider forcing an exit come January if Machini doesn't play him more. Its strange how both ENG/Man City Coaches are italian and don't fancy him because of how attacking he is :rolleyes: They don't seem to get him as a player, while a Liverpool or Spurs would get the best out of him IMO.

Just read via Henry Winter's (Telegraph journo) that Phil Jones is having a medical for the move to Man Utd. I thought he was with ENG at the U21 championships ??? I guess Evans is going to be sold then, I can see Sunderland wanting him.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

17 Million for Jones apparently...

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

A pre Deal for next season would of made better sense, even if Evans is sold now WHERE is he going to fit into the squad to play enough games for such a price :confused:

De Dea, Young and Jones is looking at around £50 million and yes he could sell some players + loans to make funds but I doubt he can afford a decent central midfielder now.