A Hater Revisits nuWho

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Bones2, Nov 30, 2009.

1. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, they are just like everyone else, which means that some of them are more promiscuous than others. I guess we'll all have to learn to live with that.

2. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

Yes, some are more promiscuous, but when every representation is of a predatory queen, that doesn't help gay people as a whole. Indeed, I find it an offensive misrepresentation that damages the whole community.

3. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

^WTF are you talking about? Besides the fact Jack isn't gay, he goes all ways, and besides the fact he hasn't seemed to be anything but flirty since he got with Ianto, there are many different characters in Doctor Who who have been everything from married bloke having a thing with his butcher, to a married old lesbian couple.

4. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

Bob the Skutter I suspect that USS Bones is worried about the people who wont see Jack as "omnisexual" they might just see him as gay.

Now I think even the must backward of folk, should be intelligent enough to recognise that he is not gay, and might use the term bi sexual.

I dont think is much difference between Captain Jack and a hetrosexual character like, dare I say it Captain Kirk, the only difference is that instead of just women, he "charms" anything & everything.

5. The Mirrorball Man

I'm not sure you're being entirely objective here. As Bob said, there are all kinds of homosexual characters in Doctor Who. They're treated exactly like heterosexual characters. Some are good, some are evil, some are promiscuous, some have lifelong partners, some are extravagant, some are restrained.

I may be wrong, but I'm beginning to suspect that your very intense dislike of the Captain Jack character is coloring the whole Doctor Who experience for you.

6. Bones2

No, no, not at all. I was merely saying that he's the worst example of RTD putting gay things in for their own sake. Being as Doctor Who is about 95% Jack-free anyway, I certainly don't let my dislike of the character affect how I view thngs, not even with the stories he's in.

7. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Gay things in for their own sake, what does that even mean!? So should the lesbian couple in Gridlock have been a hetrosexual couple, why would that matter either way?

8. Bones2

Well, there's just this obvious thing with new Doctor Who where there are more gay references forced in than there would be if they weren't trying, and it just feels so obvious and grating. I want to make clear I'm in no way a homophobe, but it's just irritating. Like they're pushing the agenda.

But I don't want to make a thing of it. Let's talk about how little sense that bloody screwdriver makes instead.

9. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

The screwdriver is pretty over-used. More often than not I don't mind because I simply love the device... but sometimes it's used for absurd things. Dreamland is chock full of ridiculous screwdriver uses. I think RTD has acknowledged the over-reliance though. I think the worst actually is when the Doctor uses it as a tricorder-type device... I don't really get how it can do that for anything. Vibrating things, turning things on/off fine, but scanning?

And the convenient use of deadlocked doors as well. At least Donna, or possibly River, had the sense to just kick the damn thing in.

10. Bones2

Come to think of it, maybe this is a good opportunity to compile the screwdriver uses.

1. Stops plastic arm from receiving signal.

11. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I think there is a YouTube video on this already (or something similar)

12. The Mirrorball Man

Oh yes there is.

13. The Mirrorball Man

There are more interracial couples than gay couples in Doctor Who, and I've never felt that they were pushing any agenda. I guess I'm just blasé.

Yeah, it's just a bloody magic wand, isn't it? :D
    (no, that one wasn't a gay reference)

14. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I used to feel this way until I took a moment to consider what this gay agenda might be. Perhaps the agenda is to help create a world inwhich people can feel comfortable with themselves and their sexuality, and dare to love the ones their heart's desire without fear of discrimination, or intimidation. When you look at it that way, how can it be a bad thing?

So kids learn about same sex relationships, so what? The worst that can happen is that, when they're older, they feel comfortable reaching out, or reciprocating, but how is that hurting anything or anyone?

There are matters of taste, always, but I have no right to be offended by someone elses preferences, nor does anyone else, and a family show, such as Dr Who is, is as good a place as any to teach these values.

15. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree that Rose is an extremely weak season starter, though apparently it was a good enough (re)introduction for the public at large. It does have its moments though - there are a few nice bits of dialogue and some decent acting here and there. Clive is not bad. But I agree about the humour seeming forced.

When I watched the leaked version of it (with the classic series theme tune instead of Murray Gold's tacked on) I remarked that on first impressions it seemed like some odd (not very funny) parody of Doctor Who.

Also, the loud and obtrusive electronic music drives me nuts. I think they improved the mix slightly for the dvd release, but it's still a shocker and something that plagues the rest of the first couple of seasons pretty badly.

16. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Truth to tell, I was very close to crying with disappointment when I saw Rose. After waiting for Doctor Who to come back to TV for 16 years, I thought to myself, "THIS is what they give us?"

I look upon it a little more favorably now, as The Unquiet Dead and The End of the World really made up for it. By the time we got Dalek, I knew we were getting something special.

17. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the whole, I prefer the 9th Doctor over the 10th (except when it comes to hair and fashion sense... in that case, Tennant rocks).

BUT On the other hand, I can see how an episode like Rose would be a rather poor way of introducing the Doctor. I feel that future episodes show is good and bad in much better ways (truly, future episodes are what made me a fan of Nine in the first place).

The next episode should do quite nicely :)

18. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Here's the thing: "Rose" wasn't written for Doctor Who fans. It was written as the first episode of a new family-oriented TV series.

RTD et al. just gave the new viewers a little time to get used to the kinds of things this show could be. And it worked. A lot of fans of the original enjoy the new series, and a lot of new fans, many of them not even born when the show went off the air, have come along.

Besides, despite a quibble or two with a couple of the things thrown in for the younger end of the audience, I liked "Rose."

19. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Fucking gay people, existing all over the place. It's sick, I tell you.

Anyway, "Rose" is a perfect opener (though "The End of the World" is even better), Eccleston is the best actor to ever play the Doctor (though he's not my favorite), and the Earth revolving speech was the point where I knew the best television show ever was back.

20. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always start everyone on "End of the World." The opening witht he Doctor asking Rose, "Do you want to go forwards or backwards in time?" is the perfect introduction.

I love how the Doctor goes from Rose's baby step of one hundred years in the future, to something incredible, The New Roman Empire, and then really gets a little out of control and whips them five billion years into the future to show her the end of the world.

Hooks 'em each and every time. I get my converts by the opening credits. By the close, where we see an exciting NEXT TIME scroll by to the Doctor shouting, "You've seen the future, now let's have a look at the past! 1860! How does 1860 sound?"

Rose: What happens in 1860?

Doctor: I don't know. Let's find out!

This has them addicted. And it, too, captures Doctor Who perfectly. Let's find out!