Conversation(s) Heard After the Movie [spoilers, maybe]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Joel_Kirk, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, this movie took in more money than the last one, and as anecdotal evidence, I know several people who wouldn't dream of watching a "Star Trek" movie, that have told me STiD is a "Must-See", and I've heard no one complain that homages, Fan Service, whatever you want to call it kept them from seeing it or damaged their enjoyment while watching it.

Rotten Tomatoes doesn't seem to indicate truth in this statement either.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I just wonder why some people seem desperate for this movie to be considered a failure?

3. Sindatur

And don't forget Man of Steel is an even bigger failure, only having made $528 Million so far, if only they hadn't hired Bad Robot and Nolan :guffaw:

4. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

The only thing I heard was a pair of teenage girls whinging that they found the film boring and that it lacked action... :wtf:

5. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

To the OP: People tend to hear what they want to hear.

I loved the movie, and I heard nothing but positives leaving the cinema on opening night. Now, does that mean there weren't ANY naysayers? Of course not. I just was not clued into them.

Also, to anyone who thinks this movie is a financial disaster in any way, shape, or form?

:lol:

6. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

It may be true that people hear what they want to hear and see what they want to see, and they describe that as whatever they want to describe that as.

I haven’t read where anyone has said that STID is a “disaster” financially. That sounds like someone's trumped up hyperbole about what people are actually saying, at least the people I've heard and read. The word I’ve read a lot has been “disappointment” with regard to its domestic numbers. $450 million means that it may still have a ways to go to match the last film after you adjust for inflation and the larger production and marketing budgets. There are still 2 more countries that have openings coming down the pike, I believe, so it will continue to add to its current world-wide gross.

Now, is $450mil by itself bad? No. Are the domestic numbers by themselves bad? Also, that’s a no. Might there be a little problem when the domestic numbers, in spite of the “good” reviews and reportedly good word-of-mouth, are tracking behind the 2009 movie? All I can say is it’s something to think about. Anyone who thinks that is something to mock or ridicule could be called “desperate” in their attempts to deny that.

Then we have the people who want to claim that because STID had “competition” (isn’t that every film?) that this is the reason why it didn’t do as well domestically. I think if people want to see a movie, then they see the movie. If they don’t, then they don’t, but who can really say…

I’d rate Man of Steel a little bit above STID. In spite of the film’s many issues, I actually felt something for the Clark character the whole way through and I think the actor did a great job playing him. I don’t know if the numbers for MoS are a disaster, a disappointment, or a major-super success. It was heavily marketed as Chris Nolan’s next film, and considering that the last 2 batman movies both made over a billion each, half that and counting at this point might be good??

Getting back to the topic of conversations heard after the film, I can’t really say. I just remember being relieved because it was finally over. Last film I stayed, though, as well as a number of other people, for some of the credits. I don’t remember any conversations, but I do recall people seeming happy. :)

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I encountered some fans saying this about STiD at the same time as heaping praise upon the fanfilm, "Of Gods and Men", for the wonderfulness of its homages and "fan service".

Hilarious.

A STiD focusing on some other Eugenics survivor being revived instead of Khan would have had people screaming, "Orci! Missed opportunity! Harrison could have been... Khaaaaan!"

8. Therin of Andor

Loved Henry Cavill, but STiD didn't have a - what? - 40-minutes long sequence of skyscraper destruction as a climax. It was mind-numbingly repetitive and boring.

9. Sindatur

Why do people keep suggesting that ST'09 needs to be adjusted for inflation? Here in the US, a Dollar pretty much buys you now, what it did then, that was only 4 years ago. Heathcare/Health Insurance costs more today and Houses cost less, but, most everything else is pretty close to the same. Is there such a drastic difference in 4 years in other countries' inflation that would make a meaningful difference in ST'09's Worldwide Take?

LOL Therin, if they know Of Gods and Men, those weren't the people I meant, I meant the General Audience :guffaw: The Fans that would have those kind of conversations will see it no matter what is served up (Sure they may not like it, but, they'll watch it to make sure).

10. Spock/Uhura Fan

From my view, Therin, they both had that. I thought the action was overdone in both. And yes, Henry Cavill was a very good Clark/Superman. :)

11. Spock/Uhura Fan

We don't have to adjust for inflation at all. Domestically, without inflation, and the last time I checked, STID was still behind. Internationally, it's ahead, so that helps. The massive marketing campaign they put together there worked, and so they should be proud of that.

I don't know about other countries' inflation rates, but the numbers are reported in US dollars, so I'm not sure that even matters.

And that's where STID is missing numbers because it's not doing as well domestically. General audiences overseas appears to be a different story, though. For most people, I'd guess, if they are not interested in something, they don't complain about it. What happens is that they just don't see it. So, maybe there's your answer? :shrug:

12. BillJ

Well...

http://www.film-releases.com/film-release-schedule-2009.php

You can believe what you want, but there were no billion dollar movies opening around Star Trek 2009.

13. Spock/Uhura Fan

Bill, I don't even have to click the link. Iron Man 3 came out 2 weeks before STID. It is not like they opened side-by-side. And again, if people want to see something, then they will.

14. BillJ

And Fast & Furious 6 opened one week after. Star Trek 2009 faced off against X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Terminator Salvation and Angels & Demons. All three combined did less money than Iron Man 3.

Up didn't come out until three weeks after its release and was directed at a different audience and Transformers: The Revenge of the Fallen was six weeks later and Harry Potter was more than two months later.

Star Trek 2009 had three-weeks where it was competing against mid-range hits, Star Trek Into Darkness was sandwiched between two monster hits.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

After the movie I heard people saying two things: how shocked they were that a Star Trek movie was so good, and how much they liked the way Zoe Saldana's character was handled. ;)

16. Spock/Uhura Fan

^Okay, lol. ;)

Which begs the question why wasn't it a "monster hit" by itself? You could say about Iron Man that STID came out just 2 weeks later, and, and then it was FF6...

And before you say something like, "Iron Man 3 had the Avengers to help it...", I'll just compare STID to Iron Man 2.

That wasn't a great film to me either (although I'd watch it again over STID), but it grossed $312mil domestically and about $312mil overseas for a total of about $624mil. It also only had one movie to go off of, and Iron Man, at least from what I've heard, was considered a "B-grade comic hero" to begin with when the first film came out. RDJ is a star now, but at the time he was still struggling to an extent when he got the Iron Man gig. I read that he just got the part, and I'm glad he did.

Anyway, same thing with Star Trek '09. No one was a big star, but Quinto had some notoriety with Heroes, and no one knew what was going to happen with a franchise that was decades old and a little worn after Nemesis. The first film was a success, like IM1, and the second film did better over seas than the first one, like IM2.

One difference, though, is the fact that the second movie only did $6mil less than the first over all domestically. We'll see where STID ends up, but it doesn't seem like it's tracking to close out only $6mil behind, and it has much better reviews and reported "word of mouth." Like I said before, it's something to look at.

Still, if you want STID to be the victim of other films, that's okay by me. I think I'm done here anyway, since we're off the topic of conversations after the film.

17. Therin of Andor

But the STiD destruction stuff was always interspersed with snappy dialogue, character bits or other sequences. The battle in "Man of Steel" went on. And on. And on. And on. And on... I kept glancing at my watch.

18. Spock/Uhura Fan

I'll PM you my response. :)

19. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I guess different people perceive things differently ... but to me, Kirk's death scene felt like a parody. And I heard quite a few giggles in the audience when Spock was doing the Shat, so I was definitely not alone with my feelings.

I really don't understand the writers here. There must be a way to stay true to Star Trek and use known things/people from the Prime Universe without blatantly ripping off previous episodes/movies. If I ever have to hear lines like "the needs of the many" or "I shall be and always have been your friend" again, I'll go nuts! Those lines were perfect in TWOK, and they should stay there! We really don't need TWOK quotes in every new movie that comes out ... :scream:

20. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

I almost giggled myself, until Spock's "Khan!" scream morphed right into the Vengeance's PLUMMETING OUT OF THE SKY scream.

It was like someone handing you a box of Koala Yummies and you giggle at the novelty and say "Yeah, I remember these! Haha!" then you open up the box and discover that it's FULL OF BEES.