The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PlainSimpleJoel, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The terraforming is not the problem, they can adapt to that, it's all that fricking metal in the sky making TV impossible. This is why they had to legalize prostitution. No more television.

The Talaban would see this as proof from god that they are right.

Gotta wonder about the Votans trying to settle in that part of the world if it's really all that harmonious?

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Suddenly it all makes sense . . ..

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Bride Wore Black: Well that was a helluva shock.

I particularly liked this bookend..

Doctor to Nicolette: "You know I've changed too. I've become a healer instead of a destroyer. And that's why I'm so sorry for what I have to do. But it's for the greater good."

Letter written by the Doctor, purporting to be Nicolette's note: "I told myself I was acting for the greater good. But that kind of thinking leads you down a dark road."

I know the Doctor said Nicolette was using the greater good as an excuse but I think she fully admits here to using it in the same way, and she wonders where her own choices will take her.

And NOW..

WHO ARE THE BAD GUYS? I assume Nicolette reported to others, they are going to come looking for her I assume? Also kind of wanted the doctor to stay possibly bad.

As to the rest of it, I enjoyed seeing younger, less slick Kenya. Well done.

I can see Stahma laughing over her own well played idea when she thinks about how Christie will react to wearing the blinder.

"Weddings are stupid", Irisa. Girl after my own heart.

Great visuals for it!

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure everything will go very sour though.. and not just because of the parents. The dear boy is not ready for a political marriage and there's no escaping that is what he has.

[​IMG]

How is it that Tommy is suddenly like 10 years older than I thought he was?

How is it that no one smelled the body?

And finally I am always crapping on about this..

RAMBUTAN!

[​IMG]

Always a stand in when alien fruit is needed.

:lol:

4. Guy Gardener

If only there was some alien tech that could fake insanity by projecting an avatar of the recently dead who will put forward insistently an agenda designed to somehow frakk up the world.

Is the show getting better or have I just lowered the bar so much, that it's impossible to make any more bad episodes?

5. teacake

It's getting faster and punchier. Which makes it better than it was at the beginning.

6. Guy Gardener

But I can still smell the stink from the beginning.

7. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

Rambutan

[​IMG]

Durian

Both of these fruits are a good stand in for Ailen fruits

8. teacake

NO ONE wants the durian on a hot set, trust me.

There is a bowl of kiwanos in front of the doctor at one point too, another frequently used alien fruit.

[​IMG]

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, this was a pretty cool episode. The flashbacks fleshing out life in the town before the beginning of the series were interesting, we learned rather surprising twist about Mayor Nikki. Doctor Yuwell just became ten times more interesting than before. And finally, the scene where Datak pulls his energy blade on Rafe, but Rafe just reveals his gun is a defining moment of awesome for both characters. Hell, we even get what some fans longed to see on Enterprise, an alien (in Enterprise, Shran, in Defiance, Datak) calling a human with darker skin a "pink skin" and that human pointing out their darker pigmentation.

Yeah, this was a pretty solid episode. Great character moments, backstories fleshed out, significant plot developments. It's got it all.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, turns out shivkala was right about Mayor Nicki and I was wrong. She was an Indogene sleeper after all. I guess I gave the show too much credit for avoiding the simplistic approach. I should know better by now.

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then Nolan had a line at the end that someitme good people do bad things.

I'm going to miss Nicolette though, I was starting to like the mean old bag. :)

12. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

In my case, the bar has been lowering as I got older.

More generally, these days I watch a lot of stuff which I never would have watched a decade ago. For example, around a decade ago I thought tv shows like NCIS, CSI, Law & Order, etc ... were beneath me. These days, I watch a lot of procedural cop shows.

13. teacake

You can pull the plug on me if I end up watching all those CSI thingies :lol:

My bar is a lot lower for sci fi, space ships = goodness. I would rather watch mediocre sci fi than excellent other stuff.

14. Guy Gardener

What I meant was that Defiance itself has forced the bar to be lowered, and then lowered and then lowered again. I can probably go back and rewatch the (formerly intolerable)pilot now to find it a flawless marvel.

This is how Orwell thought that the news would be manipulated in the future.

15. teacake

The news has been manipulated like that for years now.

16. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

I frequently encountered something like this, when it comes to music albums from rock bands with relatively long careers.

Numerous bands had crappier and crappier albums as their careers went on. After awhile, their early records sound like "masterpieces" compared to the more recent stuff they've been producing. Especially when their early albums were rather mediocre to begin with.

17. teacake

I'm still crying about the decline of The Cure :(

18. Guy Gardener

Less drugs = worse music.

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So, since the mayor covered for her sister, did she think her sister killed the guy?

20. Guy Gardener

As far as Amanda was concerned, whosoever killed Hunter Bell, did Kenya a favour, and deserved a medal, even if it was Kenya.