Photobucket beta gripe

Discussion in 'Web Sites/Design' started by Unicron, Dec 16, 2012.

1. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, I noticed last night that you can no longer link to newly uploaded images that are larger than 1024 pixels. There used to be a setting where you could either have it resize a large image or keep the large image as long as it was less than 1Mb, but no longer. Apparently the large image is still there for the uploader, but you can't link to it.

This is a deal breaker for me. Anyone know what other options there are, and their limitations?

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I switched over to ImageShack.us last week, where you can have it automatically resize before you upload. The bandwidth and storage are also unlimited, whereas PhotoBucket has once again cut their storage and bandwidth allowances.

The only limitation I see on ImageShack is that once you upload a picture, you can't really edit it there. Otherwise, ImageShack is leaps and bounds beyond Photobucket.

3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm having a problem now that's just manifested itself, where people's Photobucket pictures are getting .html appended to the URL. Apparently no one else is suffering from this problem.

For example, if I enter http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt41/saturn0660/bread.png into the URL field in the latest version Opera, it changes into http://s596.beta.photobucket.com/user/saturn0660/media/bread.png.html and throws me onto an album page.

On the other hand, if I enter http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt41/saturn0660/bread.png into the URL field in IE8, I can see the picture fine. Photobucket is not a trusted site in IE.

I can see my own Photobucket pictures fine in either browser.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the beta debacle, and/or privacy settings on my Photobucket account.

I've made every effort to clear all site preferences for Photobucket out of Opera, but that still doesn't fix the problem.

Any ideas, anyone?

4. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I noticed that too. I think they're trying to force you to see the pics on their webpage instead of just the pic by itself.

I'm not looking to resize, I want to keep the large image. Is that possible?

5. smiki

smiki Captain Captain

I'll recommend imgur. It also has unlimited bandwidth and storage and you can also edit the images before and after they've been uploaded.
    The images won't get deleted if they've been accessed at least once in six months. And this is all with a free account. You can also upload without an account too. The limit for image size is 1 MB (5 with paid account) I believe (which means reeally high res jpgs are allowed, they don't get resized... if you try uploading a non-animated image from 1-10 MB it gets compressed and/or resized to fit under 1 MB). And also the images themselves are up even when the site itself is down.

For (free) larger gifs or something like that (several MB) there's minus.com

Edit: They've changed the image deletion time to 3 months now though.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  6. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Didn't ImageShack used to be more strict on their storage requirements? I seem to recall they were the first online host I tried, and I got locked out of my account when I accidentally exceeded my storage at the time. But that was some years ago so I could be wrong.

7. Amaris

Oh, yes. You don't have to resize at all. It will take an image up to 10MB in size if you're registered.

Yep, I've got Imgur as a backup.

I checked the terms of service just to be sure, but yes, Image Shack is unlimited bandwidth and storage space.

8. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm getting that too, with Opera 12.14. Haven't tried it with a spoofed User-Agent, though.

9. CorporalCaptain

There are threads on the Opera forum about it. It appears to be a real problem with Opera. Users report having submitted bug reports, both to Opera and to Photobucket, although Photobucket doesn't officially support Opera. I've tried everything I can think of that I can tweak in the preferences, whether site-specific or global, including scripting, plug-ins, redirection, referral, browser ID. Nothing has worked.

Opera's upgrading their render engine soon, so an important upgrade is coming soon, if not a major one. Maybe it'll get fixed then.

I'm not happy!

10. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It must be a pretty bizarre bug, then, because I can't think what could possibly cause something like that to happen.

It wasn't unheard of for certain sites to fuck over users of certain browsers, at least a few years ago, and Photobucket seem like pricks, so I wouldn't put it past them to do something like that.

It annoys me when sites cripple themselves on certain browsers for absolutely no good reason (e.g. YouTube not using HTML5 for all videos with Opera on *nix, even though it can support any format/codec that YouTube can serve, if GStreamer and FFmpeg are installed).

11. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I couldn't figure out how to add more pics to an existing album.

12. CorporalCaptain

A follow-up on the Opera/Photobucket issue:

Although I'm not claiming that it is, it appears to be fixed. From http://my.opera.com/community/forums/findpost.pl?id=13859432:

13. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

It stinks.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So, they removed themes? Or am I just not finding the setting?

15. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have had trouble with it as well; I liked the old version (I sound like an old man, lol)

16. Amaris

Yep. I've since transferred everything over to ImageShack, because it looks like PB is sticking with this arrangement.

17. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

I've had more problems with PB since they made those changes. What a pain!

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Upgraded from a bucket to a shack, have you?

Which brings to mind the Your Yorkshiremen sketch from Monty Python.

19. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

My biggest bitch is that you can't upload from a URL.

Why the hell not? And to say "it's coming" for a couple of months...how hard could it be to do something that you were previously doing?

20. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

Ugh, this is why I'll never use photobucket. It never seemed stable for hotlinking anyway with all the constant changing and upgrading. Too often I see pictures on forums that weren't posted long ago with the "sorry, this image is blahblahblah" message instead of the image.

I don't host galleries anyway, so if I want to post a pic I'll use imgur, tinypic, imgbox or DWteam. If I absolutely need to post several images at once, I use imagebam's gallery feature. The only downside of imagebam is you can't sneak around the thumbnail coding to link the fullsize pics or you get a broken picture icon. (I do at least :P)