DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I understand the dedication to Levitz. I was a fan of his original Legion run, a huge fan, but this time around the story was lacking originality and unfocused. There is no shame in replacing him and putting him on another book. Heck, he might have saved Legion Lost if he had been writing that instead.

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I think they gave Levitz the Legion as a reward when he stepped down as president of DC Comics. So until it utterly bombed they had no recourse for removing him.

3. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really liked Levitz's initial pre-New 52 return to the Legion. But after the book re-re-started it seemed to lose focus and all the plot threads I liked vanished.

Sadly the end of the Retro-boot LSH most likely ends any further chances we have at seeing the almost-original Legion. Next, we'll probably get yet another full reboot.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I could never give a flying fig about the Legion, which is funny because I love superheroes and I love sci-fi, so the two together should be amazing. But I just never cared about the characters, the universe, or the stories. The only one that ever grabbed me was the Great Darkness Saga and that's only because Darkseid was in it.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is Darkseid dead in the post crisis timeline after the Great darkness saga?

Is he alive in any other (older) Legion continuity?

And even if Darkseid is dead, unless Apocalips has been destroyed, there would be a line of succession to make sure that the pure evilness of their existence continued...

Kalibak is an idiot, but Darkseid has other sons.

6. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

The Great Darkness Saga was Darkseid's first introduction to the Legion verse (and his first appearance in a number of years, I believe). The events of those five issues rippled through Legion stories for a while...at one point Validus was Garth and Imra`s son taken from them by Darkseid just before birth and transformed.

This continuity really didn`t change until after Zero Hour IIRC.

7. Guy Gardener

Ah, sorry, I was thinking of the Quiet Darkness (LOSH 21-24, late 1991. There is an ad for Star Trek VI on the inside cover of issue 24.) not the Darkness Saga.

I thought that the Quiet Darkness was Darkseid committing suicide ("Death by Legion".), or I was told this, I only own three of the issues, I had to move my bed to get them out of my book shelf since google was being a punk ass bitch, and I'm pretty sure I haven't read them, and the final issue has a dream about Darkseid, so maybe he's still alive, and I may be thinking entirely about a different Legion vs. Darksied cross over....

The advertising, of which little I recall, made the Quiet Darkness out to be a dirge of sorts.

"Immortality is too long, even for God."

Advertising lies.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really enjoyed Batman #23 from last week...enjoying what Snyder is doing with Nygma right now. Snyder's take on the "I Shall become a bat" moment was very interesting and of course Capullo is just doing remarkable work on this book. Interesting the password was "cain". I wonder if that is setting up the future introduction of David Cain?

In contrast I am really disappointed in "Superman Unchained" right now. The first issue so far was the best issue. I'm not entirely certain what I thought this would be, but this isn't it. Jim Lee's art is meh IMO on this book.

Justice League Dark #23...kind of have lost interested in Trinity War, no one here seems to be reading it either lol. I have no idea what DC is doing with Shazam right now. I am assuming they have plans for him and that his origin is tied-in somehow with Pandora's Box and the whole magic concept. The whole "event" right now has been kind of a weird ride. Hopefully the conclusion next week will be...interesting.

The final issue of Legion of Superheroes was meh as well, no surprise there.

9. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i'm reading Trinity War...its just very underwhelming.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I like Trinity War, but once I found out that it was just a prelude for the next story, it did become a little underwhelming. It is cool seeing all the characters ganged together like this though!

11. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Justice League Dark isn't on my regular pull list so I forgot to pick it up yesterday. I'll have to go get it I guess.

12. Admiral_Young

It's almost as if Trinity War doesn't know what it wants to be...and I guess from what we have been told about it that shouldn't surprise us. It certainly resembles a prelude to something more down the road and I think that is what is making it underwhelming for me. The Justice League Dark issues have arguably been the best issues of the event so far again no surprise if you're familiar with Jeff Lemaire's work. I didn't expect much from it to start with and it's not exactly among the worst event series yet, but it's been very disappointing. Hopefully Forever Evil will be worth it.

13. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The best thing about the Legion finale was the implication that the New 52 Legion series has taken place on Earth 2. This allows the full on LSH reboot that we know is eventually coming, while still keeping the sort of original LSH, that we've been following since The Lightning Saga, around.

14. Admiral_Young

I didn't catch that...but that would make some sense. I remember at the start of the New 52 Legion series that timetravel to the past was impossible due to Flashpoint. I guess DC just decided to put them into the Earth 2 future? Anyway. I thought the issue was pretty much like the rest of Levitz work, unremarkable. Kevin Maguire's art though....oh boy.

15. Guy Gardener

I liked it when the Phantom Stranger was figured out to be Superman and Wonderman's magic baby all grown up from Kingdom Come, but I struggle to remember anyone else who ever had faith in that notion.

16. Admiral_Young

Batman and Nightwing #23 was excellent. The five stages of grief arc is now complete, this issue in particularly was really well written. The art has been great as well. We have the Villains Month issue next month which I think is Ra's al Ghul and the League of Assassins #1 and then the book becomes Batman and Carrie Kelly with #24.

Bleeding Cool points out the Earth 2 thing Mike Farley pointed out.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/22/has-the-legion-of-superheroes-been-shunted-off-into-earth-2/

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

That's basically right. Brian Cronin of Comic Book Resources wrote about the end of "The Quiet Darkness" four years ago. Darkseid isn't out to destroy the universe. He just want to end his existence, and so he engineers his own death and transition to the afterlife by creating the only being that can do that.

18. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

19. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What the actual hell?

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I don't understand the nerdrage over the team being based in Canada.