Will there ever be a James Bond spin-off film series?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dinosauricon, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Dinosauricon

Dinosauricon Lieutenant

James Bond has had plenty of parodies and rip-offs, but it's apparentally come close to spin-offs a few times.

When Jack Lord played Felix in Dr.No there was talk of a Felix spin-off movie even then. However I think with Lord refusing to reprise Felix in the sequels, this kind of deal fell through.

Then there was talk of spinning off the action Bond girls from the Brosnan era, Wai Lin (Michelle Yeoh) and Jinx (Halle Berry). This kind of didn't work out for a number of reasons. While a Wai Lin film couldn't been cool, Halle Berry's Jinx wasn't exactly a great character and Halle as a stand-alone action star wasn't probably a good idea for EON after "Catwoman" tanked.

It seems the Bond films at this point are more interested in developing Bond right now then they are in potential other franchises, as there doesn't seem to be any characters that can really support a spinoff at this point....

2. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I loved Wai Lin. They should have brought her back for Die Another Day. I mean, her headquarters was awesome! It was like the Batcave!

3. Dinosauricon

Dinosauricon Lieutenant

Yeah, I can see her fitting better into DIE ANOTHER DAY...the American angle in the film just seemed kind of pasted on so they could get Michael Madsen and Halle in it. Apparentally though they were just considering her for the scene in the hotel at the beginning of the film instead of the whole Bond girl bit.

Believe it or not they actually were considering Madsen to be a recurring character, a replacement for Felix and Jack Wade. Thankfully, they just rebooted Felix instead.

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I kinda hope they don't. I like Bond being his own little thing.

Also, they can't really do a spin-off until they get what people think of the character. If they speed to get a spin-off made on a character that proves to be unpopular, then that's time and money wasted. However, if they wait to see how the character is responded to by audiences, by the time they get the movie actually made and released, the next Bond movie is likely already out and the spin-off could be looked upon as a big "Who cares? That was the last movie."

5. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

which is why you do first.

Bond movie 1: character appears, the public respond well, mention they would like to see him/her again in either the next movie or a spin-off

Bond movie 2: character again appears in Bond
    after a short space of time (maximum a year) spin off movie: the character is spun off into a movie.

6. Broccoli

True...however, I am a grumpy fan who likes to keep to conventions :p

If it is a recurring character (like say Felix or even Michael Madsen's character), then maybe okay. If it is a Bond girl, no way! I like the formula that we get a new Bond girl each movie (and I don't count Sylvia Trench as she was intended as a recurring character like Moneypenny, Q, and M).

That being said, if they did spin off a character, I'd probably go see and and eventually buy the DVD. :lol:

7. paudemge

paudemge Captain Captain

No, i don't think there will be a spin off. And i doubt any of the spin off talks went very far. Certainly not for a big budget film.

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Hopefully never - otherwise we'll get The Adventures of Vesper. She might have died, but they'll find a way.

She already looks like a zombie half the time anyway. :D

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I don't see any point in a Bond spinoff, and I'm not even sure of any character I'd really have liked to see have their own film series...Of my three favourite Bond girls 2 died and the third's major skill was playing a cello! That said I always thought Famke's "death" in Goldeneye wasn't conclusive, but much as I'd love a Xenia film, I'm really not sure where you could go with it.

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I would have loved a series of Charlie Robinson spin-off films. If they weren't going to cast Colin Salmon as Bond, then surely they could turn him into another 00-agent. Do them lower budget, less gadgets, more realism, with an R-rating, and they could have been gold. And you could still have Dame Judi Dench as M.

11. Broccoli

Yes, Kara played a cello...OF DEATH!!!

:shifty:

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

ha ha I like it. Maybe every film she could get involved in murder and espionage in an orchestra?

13. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Anywhere she wants to take me!

I figure, if Catwoman, Deadpool, & Venom can get spinoffs, so can Xenia.:evil:

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

What a way to go!

Just finished watching Goldeneye again, and to be honest I've seen people come back from way more obvious deaths!

15. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

but arnt all of those moives not reasons to not give her a spin-off?

16. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I don't think there's much material for a spin-off. Just keep giving Felix substantial roles in the Craig films and his character is served just fine.

Regarding Ford in Dr. No, I thought he wasn't brought back because the producers feared he would become more popular than James Bond, not because the actor refused?

17. Alpha_Geek

Alpha_Geek Commodore Commodore

18. Aurian

Aurian Vice Admiral Admiral

19. Broccoli

That movie is more of a rip-off, using Bond actors. :p

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Pussy Galore: The Movie.