DS9 deserved a movie

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Xzpezer, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Xzpezer

Xzpezer Lieutenant Red Shirt

It is a shame that DS9 never got movie it is my favorite star trek show.Can someone please tell me why it never got a movie.i would have loved to have seen one.What could the story have been and who could have been the Villain.

2. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DS9 was alright, but it did not deserve a movie. Not by a long shot. There were no loose-ends. It's saga had completely unfolded. As well, I suspect its ratings were not strong enough to justify the attempt at making it a major motion picture, in the first place.

[​IMG]

3. GotNoRice

GotNoRice Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I do feel like DS9 wrapped things up reasonably well, but that doesn't mean some sort of followup wouldn't have been warranted.

DS9 ended in '99, Voyager ended in '01, Nemesis torpedoed the franchise in '02. I think what I would have liked is a Movie, that would have been in-place of Nemesis, that included elements of DS9, Voyager, as well as TNG. Voyager is the series that didn't get enough resolution IMO, given that the show ended instantly after they got to the Alpha Quadrant. Seeing the TNG, DS9, and Voyager crews working together somehow would have been very cool.

It would be difficult to have a DS9-only movie IMO, given that a large number of the main cast aren't even on DS9 anymore as of the last episode.

Unfortunately any movie that included anyone from DS9 or Voyager might have served to limit Brent Spiner's screen time, so that obviously wouldn't have worked.

4. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think a DS9 movie that ignored the other series would have been viable, but one that incorporated elements of the other series might have had potential.

5. Xzpezer

Xzpezer Lieutenant Red Shirt

You right DS9 ended very well it had the best ending in the star trek shows. I still would have loved to have seen a DS9 film.

6. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

For the simple reason that it wasn't anywhere near as popular as the TNG crew or the original crew.

7. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

a movie wouldn't have done DS9 any justice. one of my favourite things about the show were the long payoffs of serialised TV (well, not completely serialised but Trek's best foray into the idea by far) and with all the major plot threads tied up by the end of season 7 a movie simply wouldn't have been long enough.

mini-series.... now you're talking!! :techman:

8. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

No. People would be confused by a star trek movie set on a space station.

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

While I would have seen "What You Leave Behind" as a theatrical movie in a second -- it's a good finale hampered by limited funds (i.e. the fire caves; the re-used ship battle scenes) -- the series didn't "deserve" anything. Ratings were down compared to TNG (which itself had just had a box office misfire with Star Trek: Insurrection) and the finale felt like the end to me.

10. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

DS9 is my favorite TV show ever but a movie would have been a horrible idea, the story was over. Somethings are better off being left well enough alone.

11. Viva Sativa

Viva Sativa Lieutenant Junior Grade Newbie

Forgive me but everyone else was sparing your feelings. DS9 is a soap opera with science fiction elements. They're on a space station so they don't go where no man has gone before. There is very little venturing going on at all actually. Most scenes featuring Quark's bar derived from the show Cheers, the format is the same. I'm pretty sure Kira's sporadic love life and Odo's infatuation with her wouldn't make for good cinema. Captain Benjamin Sisko is a glorified pseudo-messiah that spit on the prime directive even more so than Professor John Gill. It was also the only Star Trek series that regularly stretched out its plot lines into 3 and even 4 episodes so audiences who didn't follow the show religiously were often lost. That being said it is still worth watching but anyone who thinks there should have been a DS9 movie should play in traffic or give themselves a colonoscopy with a phaser set to kill.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  12. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

That's classy! Keep up the homophobia!

13. Viva Sativa

You must be analytically impaired or so insecure with your own sexuality that you look for homophobic comments. Suggesting someone should sodomize them self with phaser just validates that I have little to no regard for the lives of others, especially if all it took was something as trivial as the notion to make a DS9 movie to provoke said comment.

14. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Picard, the hobby archeologist, is tasked to find ancient Bajoran ruins to return Sisko, while Dominion forces prepare a devastating counter offensive. Throw Q into the mix, because the war between prophets and pah wraiths endangers the entire universe.

15. Hober Mallow

There's little venturing going on in any of the Trek films. The last two films stayed pretty close to earth, despite featuring a starship with which the crew could "venture."

16. Viva Sativa

The last two films were just milestones in a terrible directors career. The only redeeming qualities they had were cameo appearances by Leonard Nimoy and the casting choice for Scotty. I was merely stating that TOS, TNG and VOY all explored new worlds and species;DS9 was left stagnate because there was a lack of outside stimuli. Every Star Trek series made the audience grow an emotional attachment to characters but not in the same environment as DS9 did.

17. Hober Mallow

I'm not seeing what difference it makes whether a crew goes to the drama or the drama comes to the crew. Of all the reasons to criticize DS9 -- and there are many -- "they don't go anywhere" always struck me as the silliest.

18. Viva Sativa

I have no major issues with the show. It even had some gems but in contrast to all other series other than ENT it just isn't up to par. We both agree there isn't a DS9 for many reasons.

19. Shatna

Shatna Grand Lord Admiral Admiral

To all parties: let's all stay on topic. The topic being, DS9 Deserved A Movie. Cut the personal bickering.

20. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

(laughs) I don't think anybody's claiming that there shouldn't be a DS9 movie because it "isn't up to par" with any of the other series, except for you.