MLB Offseason 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

You see today Jenrry Mejia gave up a Grand Slam to Casey Kotchman in the first inning.

2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

The Indians are slashing concession prices in hopes of increasing attendance this year.

As long as they don't do a 10ยข beer night, they should be OK.

As infamous as Disco Demolition, that one.

3. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Found this amusing for some reason.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Watching the Yankees/Braves game right now...Ken Singleton said that there are so many players in Yankee camp that they had to double up on numbers. I wonder why they don't go to three-digit numbers.

Hell, the Yanks have retired so many numbers that they'll probably have to do that sooner or later anyway. :lol:

Oh, and as much as we all love Lou Piniella as a manger, he needs to get far away from the broadcast booth as fast as he can.

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

It's because Project 189 has forced the Yankees to go into desperation mode regarding their roster.

Lou Piniella needs to crawl into a hole and never be seen nor heard from again.

6. Use of Time

What is project 189? Does it involve A-Rod? I bet it involves A-Rod.

7. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Spring Training is too long. Wish the Season started in 2 weeks (Or even a week) instead of starting the first week of April. I think Preseason in all the sports are too long but Baseball is the worst.

8. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree that spring training is too long, but starting earlier would be risky, weather-wise. I'm pretty sure March baseball wouldn't go over too well in places like Minnesota.

9. Timby

Hal Steinbrenner has publicly said that the Yankees intend to get their payroll down to the $189 million luxury tax threshold by next year. This is why they had such a quiet offseason, let Swisher walk, etc.

10. tomalak301

Playing baseball in late October/November wouldn't go well in some cities either, as we've seen in this decade. Since they're not going to shorten the season, why not start in the final week of March?

11. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm over Spring Training already. I understand the need for it, but the games are almost unwatchable and it just makes me long for games that matter.

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Eh, you'd have to be pretty desperate for baseball to watch Spring training games regularly. They're not like Football preseason games where all Football games are a scarce quantity. I think the fact that they're generally in places like Florida are a symbolic indication that they're not really designed for local fan spectator consumption. They're for the teams themselves.

I usually keep a vague account of my team's record as well as reports of promising players, but this is a time to watch Hockey and Basketball instead (hell, the NCAA Tournament is going to start soon, watch that).

13. Use of Time

Well baseball treats their pre-season in a different light. Football's pre-seaon gets players back into football shape, taking hits again etc. Basketball and Hockey just knocks the rust off and helps players get back in shape.

You need more of a sample size to judge talent in baseball especially for new players. So your spring training invitees are going to get a healthy dose of at bats especially if they are competing for a position. I think a month is about right to give playing time to your expected regulars and sharing some playing time with upcoming prospects. I agree as a fan it's pretty much unwatchable. The only time I remember getting excited for pre-season was so I could get a look at Jason Heyward back when he was coming up.

But like Alidar Jarok just said, there is plenty to watch right now. I've actually enjoyed the World Baseball Classic.

14. Timby

Mark Teixeira is out for 8 - 10 weeks with a wrist injury.

The Yankees' Opening Day lineup is going to be the saddest thing. And by saddest, I mean hilarious.

15. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ I guess we're gonna find out how good a manager Girardi really is (or isn't).

I mean, even when half a Cardinals team was on the DL, LaRussa had them in first place, or pretty close, most of the time. Irritating SOB, LaRussa, but a hella manager.

16. Timby

The role of a manager is generally highly overrated, at least as far as it comes to wins and losses. La Russa's teams were generally competitive because of A) solid drafting and free agency signings, and especially in the case of the Cardinals, B) playing in a division that was and is weak as shit.

He also had this Albert Pujols for a long time. :lol:

17. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like The Indians i & The Nationals i .

:D

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mariano Rivera announced today that he's retiring after the end of the 2013 season. :(

19. tomalak301

The Nationals were a fun team to watch last year. With the chains being taken off Strasberg now, I really do wonder how far they can go. I would love to see a Nationals/Giants NLCS. Still, if there was an east coast team I would pay attention to this year, it's the Nationals.

I figured I should do my postseason predictions. I'm not doing the awards.

AL East:

Rays
    Yankees
    Orioles
    Blue Jays
    Red Sox

AL Central:

Tigers
    White Sox
    Indians
    Twins
    Royals

AL West

LA Angels
    Oakland A's
    Texas Rangers
    Seattle Mariners
    Astros (It's going to be weird thinking of Houston as an AL team)

NL West

San Francisco
    LA Dodgers - This race for first is going to be a lot of fun
    Arizona
    San Diego
    Colorado

NL Central

Cincy
    Cardinals
    Brewers
    Pirates
    Cubs

NL East

Nationals
    Braves
    Phils
    Mets
    Marlins

My pick for the World Series:

Nationals over the White Sox

20. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Saw that today, sad to see a truly dominant pitcher go. Watching the game replays today, only the Yankees can have a sell out for a Spring Training game.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.