Billingsley: Enterprise Gray Areas

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by TrekToday, Jan 24, 2013.

1. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

really? Vulcan Reformation ideas sound a lot like Buddhism to me.

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I don't even think the decision was the worst part about the episode.

There are two far bigger problems.

1) I always imagined the PD as something they arrived at through mistakes. Like, maybe they found an empire savagely crushing another nation, and armed that other nation to protect them. Then when that nation won the war, they were even harsher and more sadistic than the empire. I don't see them arriving at the PD without making a mistake like that first, so I was hugely disappointed when they just pulled it out of thin air.

2) That's not even the main case the PD was meant to apply to. It was meant to apply to getting involved in wars, advancing other worlds' technology. The Pen Pals/Homeward case is a fringe case, and they made the PD all about that case.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sybok was quite ready to run off after God.

4. JirinPanthosa

I don't see religion going away any time soon, but I think religious people are going to become progressively more tolerant and pluralistic.

5. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

2152 isn't exactly what you would cal "soon". A lot can change in 139 years. Remember, just 150 years ago, North America still used slave labor.

6. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I tend to agree, and I'm not saying the Vatican should be portrayed as still having a large influence in Archer's time, but I do think there could be room for some sort of clerical voice in a hypothetical episode dealing with discussion of the Valakian situation on Earth, even if it were a minor voice.

One could posit a widespread religious revival in the wake of WWIII, but one would also think that the existence of sentient aliens would profoundly impact Earth religions' influence. Too bad the show wasn't much interested in big ideas...

Interesting idea, but there's enough comparable situations in our own history to make the dangers of such actions perfectly clear. I would've been fine with the PD being crafted through speculative discussion if the writing were good enough.

7. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

true, but he was kind of a maverick Vulcan, plus I think that was one of the criticisms of the plot-that all of these alien cultures would have religions based around a personal God and an "Eden-like" creation story.

8. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

My take - organizations such as the Roman Chatolic Church are still there in the early days of UFP, but society is strictly secular, and so are the moral, ethical and family values. In other words, Church is a place of worship, and nothing more.

This subject is a bit touchy for me ATM, because the Catholic Church wages an all-out war on secularism in my country right now. Some clerics have even indirectly called for violent action against "the infidels", I shit you not.

Sybok was a psychopath, and that abomination of a movie isn't canon. :P

9. JirinPanthosa

Yeah, that's why I think 139 years is enough that we'll probably have much less religious intolerance and persecution. I just don't see any atheist revolution coming about in that time.

10. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Even with Vulcans around to point out how pretty much all primitive societies worship some kind of a Picard in their infancy? ;)