Lost Girl Season 5 on Syfy

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Apr 17, 2015.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lost Girl Season 5 starts tonight on Syfy.
    Trailer
    Season 4 photo recap.
    I know Season 4 was kind of a mess, but I still love this show and I'm hoping they'll be able to go out on a high note.
    For our Canadian friends who've already seen at least some of the season, all I don't mind if you want to post spoilers, but all I ask is that you code them.
    Sadly I work until 10:00 tonight, so I probably won't be watching this until Saturday or Sunday.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, thanks for telling me. My TV listings page doesn't have it listed as a new episode (which I'd attribute to its being an import, but it does list Bitten as new before it).

Last season was dire. I really hope they've managed to get their act together for the swan song.

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Damn, I completely forgot. Thank goodness for On Demand.

4. Christopher

So far, no sign that they've gotten their act together. This felt just as vague and unfocused as the last season, with lots of nebulous hints about some ill-defined big bad, and it actually managed to be boring too. The show isn't even sexy anymore.

I had thought that we'd only get an abbreviated final season, but I must've been thinking of Continuum. Apparently this final season is actually 16 episodes, longer than normal, and is being split into two 8-episode runs. So we still have 15 more of these to get through. If they're gonna be like this, I'm not sure it'll be worth it.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Apparently Syfy nobody is going to be posting streaming episodes, so it looks like I'll have to wait for Netflix.

6. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

JD, if you do youtube, you can find the eps there. They're shrunk down to iphone size, but they're there.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't watch illegally posted stuff unless I have no other option. This is pretty much guaranteed to come out on DVD/Blu-Ray eventually and Netflix has the other four seasons, so they'll probably add this one too. So I'm willing to wait.

8. RJDiogenes

Looks like this season is going to be just as trippy as the last. Valhalla as a swank hotel? Tamsin turning into Jack Nicholson? Kenzie getting an invitation to her own wedding? Hale all enigmatic?

It was kind of an odd premiere. Trick and Dyson were sidelined and there was a serious dearth of their trademark sexiness. Nevertheless, I can't wait to see where that elevator to infinity goes. And they better get Kenzie out of that coffin quickly.

9. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Kenzie doesn't have Buffy strength to dig her way out on her own.

10. Christopher

She does, however, have the "something borrowed" knife that Bo gave her. And the matches, and something else that may come in handy. How contrived that the gifts Bo managed to scrounge together just happen to be useful (presumably).

Also, if she woke up back in her real body, why isn't she wearing what her corpse was wearing when she was buried? For that matter, when was she buried? I thought she physically passed through a portal into wherever. Am I forgetting something?

11. JanewayRulz!

Maybe its a empty grave, like Sara And Oliver's were on Arrow.

I think Kenzi's body/spirit went to the after life with Tamsin but just the spirit was roaming the halls of Hotel Valhalla.

12. Christopher

Man, this show has a microscopic budget these days. They couldn't even afford to show Kenzi being rescued from her grave, they just skipped over it and talked about it afterward. Very anticlimactic. And the monster Lauren and Kenzi faced was invisible, and even then we didn't really see most of their battle with it. And the face-off between Tamsin and her sister Valkyrie was resolved with trash talk? Really?

Still, this was a somewhat better episode than we've had in a while, to damn with faint praise. At least it actually had some sexy stuff, although they had to go and blow it by revealing afterward that it was technically kind of almost incestuous. (Damn, Persephone, way to bury the lede...)

Although... Bo's mysterious father is Hades? Literally Hades? That's... a little over-the-top.

13. JanewayRulz!

What? :eek:

No comment on the exit near the end? :wtf:

14. Christopher

Didn't want to spoil it. Mainly, I'm just wondering why they'd kill her off, bring her back, then write her out anyway. Why not just leave her dead?

The thing I did forget to comment about, since I didn't really think it through until later, was that the invisible ghost/demon thing basically raped Lauren under the pretense of being Bo, and nobody in the story seems to think that's a problem.

15. JanewayRulz!

Excellent point.

16. RJDiogenes

Well, the rest of the cast got some more screen time in this one-- except for Trick, who didn't have much more than a cameo. And I wonder if Kenzie is really gone, or if this is a plotline. It certainly won't be the same show without her. Hopefully she will at least return by the series finale.

Anyway, what an episode. Kenzie returns from the dead to team up with Lauren against a horny-but-vengeful ghost. I'm pretty sure the writing staff on this show must be on hallucinogenics. :rommie:

17. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    That seems to happen to a lot of my favorites as they go on. Towards the later seasons, Community & Earth: Final Conflict couldn't even afford to go outside anymore (unless it was the studio parking lot).

18. Christopher

^The thing is, the cast and crew get raises every year. So either you cut the rest of the budget to compensate, or you dump characters. (That may be why Kenzi left -- they couldn't afford another season without losing a regular.) Some shows replace the veteran cast members with new, cheaper cast members, while others trim the total number of regulars. Smallville did both; in season 10, it only had four regular characters, and only one of them (Clark Kent) had been around since the beginning.

19. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    ^Then there are the actually successful shows that can afford to maintain their production values while still keeping their cast intact. Unfortunately, after perhaps some initial interest, Lost Girl seemed to decay into being a very niche cult show maintained only by Canadian content laws & its militant lesbian fanbase.

I guess Lauren just feels embarrassed that she didn't do her due diligence in establishing the ghost's identity before she let it get all up in her business.

Still, is it just me or is everyone getting stupider on this show? First, even though she knows that the Hell Shoes might be dangerous and turned Flora into a raging psycho killer back in "La Fae Epoque," Bo still puts them on right away and can't even be bothered to wait half an hour for Lauren to set up all of her monitoring equipment. (BTW, if there's a risk that Bo might go into psycho rage killer mode, wouldn't it be smart to have Dyson hang around in case she needs to be physically restrained?) Then, when Trick gives Kenzi the magic ouija board or whatever the hell it was, he specifically tells her not to use it until they're absolutely sure about what they're summoning. So just because the ghost could replicate some of Bo's sex moves on Lauren, this counts as enough evidence to try summoning her? And shouldn't they be consulting Trick further on the matter since he seems to have more expertise in this sort of thing? If they did, then they wouldn't have (1) summoned a dangerous ghost onto this plane of existence and (2) been forced to destroy another one of Trick's priceless fae artifacts.

This show just isn't making much sense any more. Like, in "Big in Japan," why would a legendary Japanese warrior require Bo to be his bodyguard when Bo's only real skill is having sex with people? I know the Japanese warrior turned out to be a fraud taking credit for his sister's exploits, but Bo never even asked the question. Or was Bo just keeping Tamsin company? (Granted, Bo did show some pretty impressive sword skills against Lachlan back in "Barometz, Trick, Pressure." But even then, there was never any explanation about how she got so skilled with a blade.)

Also, Dyson & Tamsin talk as if she still has a job with the police department. I'd figured she was totally fired after she went AWOL for several weeks when she died at the end of Season 3. Even when she came back in Season 4, it still seemed to take a few weeks before she grew to full size again in "Turn to Stone." And ever since then, she's been really flaky and probably unemployable.

Also, where did Lauren get the money to set up this sweet new doctor's office? I was always under the impression that the Light Fae didn't pay her very well and she didn't seem to be working for the Dark Fae long enough to build up much of a nest egg. Did she embezzle the funds from the Dark? Would anyone even notice now that Evony is gone?

It seems like maybe after the Una Mens were killed that the Light Fae & Dark Fae hierarchies both disbanded. I guess that makes sense since there seem to be some pretty hefty power vacuums now. First, Hale's coronation turned into a total clusterfuck. Then the Una Mens made Trick the new acting-Ash, a job that it never seemed like he wanted and a job that we never saw him actually performing during the entire time that he had it in Season 4. Then Lauren turned Evony human. And now I guess Bo's example has inspired everyone else to say "Fuck the rules" and no one has bothered to appoint, elect, or select a new Ash for the Light or a new Morrigan for the Dark. That seems like a pretty massive power shift which has gotten almost no coverage so far. What gives?

20. Christopher

They're the exceptions. Every show gives its cast and crew raises every year, and most shows lose some viewership over time, so even successful shows probably have to stretch their budgets in later seasons. It's not a stigma of failure, it's just a reality of television economics.