TMP on Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Flake, Jan 7, 2013.

1. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

No, depends on what rez they were scanned at. The Bond films were mostly scanned at 4K by Lowery Digital a good ways back, so they are good to go for a ways to come. Even 2K scans of the TREK films is plenty good enough for BR, so the stated notion that only TWOK has been remastered seems totally accurate to me. I guess you could look on thedigitalbits.com or blu-ray.com or some place like that for authentication.

blu-ray.com's forum notes TWOK as having a 4K transfer.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  2. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Basically correct. There is some pretty strong evidence that they just cranked out the Blu-ray editions in 2009 using the very early, for the tech, 1080p scans that were made in the early-2000s for the DE DVDs and for use on the (then) new premium HD cable/sat movie channels (HBO used to have the catalog rights to the TOS movies).

Since their target resolution was DVD (480i) and done in the early-2000s they were not very concerned with what it looked like at HD resolution. So they used all the quick and easy cheats of the era to process the image for DVD resolution. The problem is those quick and dirty image manipulation tricks look like crap when viewed in high resolution. Hence why we have all of the movies with anywhere from a bit too much to massive amounts of noise reduction applied.

3. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

I wouldn't say "mostly". Lowery only scanned a select group, 9 of the movies, at 4k. All the Connery movies, plus a few others they deemed needing the higher resolution.
    http://commanderbond.net/2878/all-20-films-to-be-remastered-for-new-dvds.html

Lowery is another company that is infamously heavy handed with DNR. And again the initial target for the project were the DVDs from the early-mid-2000s.

I highly doubt TWOK was given a 4k transfer. The Blu-ray discs appear to have been done as cheaply as possible to coincide/cash-in-on the Abrams movie in 2009.
    If they did, it's been ruined by DNR, and other processing. TWOK still looks very "cleaned up", not as bad the ones clearly reusing ancient transfers like TVH and TUC, but still not what a proper/well-done transfer of a 1982 film should look like.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Thanks for the correct information. I was afraid I might have been misremembering some of the details. :techman: