What Are You Working On (And How Are You Getting There)?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kestra, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I'm interested in hearing about what people are working on in their lives right now, and what they are doing to get there. It can be a huge, vague goal or something really specific like a project you want to get done this weekend. We're a nice little community and I like learning about the people here. Plus, it could be useful if someone needs motivation or wants to share some achievement or progress.

I'm currently working on a BA and hoping to finally finish this summer. I've had a lot of setbacks but this is going to happen. I'm also trying to learn how to better manage my money, since I haven't really been on my own with finances in a decade. If anyone has any really simple tips, I'd be happy to hear them.

Something more specific and short-term is my goal of finally sorting through the last of my boxes this weekend and getting everything organized in the closets. After I moved I found I had more storage space than I required, so I got a little lazy about being really efficient in terms of storage. I'm going to take care of that this weekend.

What are you working on?

2. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Currently revising some linux syntax for a lab I have on Monday. Already got the first chapter written, and slowly working on the second now.

3. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

I'm trying to figure out how my finances are and how to work those things now after I bought my flat... might take another couple of weeks, I've never had this complicated finances :rommie:

On longer term things I'd like to finish my re-doing of the kitchen and get started with the living room and on an even longer term I would like to get rid of all the junk that's accumulated in the cellar.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I took the last couple months off from working on anything. I go on vacation in about 3 weeks, so I don't really plan to work on any kind of goals until that's over with.

5. trekkiedane

Could it be said that you are working on having a great vacation?

That would take quite a bit of 'work' for me, you see :rommie:

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Nope. My vacation is going to involve no work. Just lots of sitting around, looking at mountains, and drinking beer.

7. trekkiedane

Relaxation is the hardest work there is!

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think you're doing it wrong.

9. trekkiedane

Just switching off my phone gives me shivers! -yeah I'm no good at taking vacations.

10. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm in the middle of writing another fanfiction. It's the third one in the series. I'm hoping to use the feedback I get from each story to help me hone my skills before I finally step over to my project and write my novel. I've already written two novel length fanfics, and this one will be the last one before I begin. The novel won't be related to the fanfics in any way, those are simply practice and a desire to tell a story using familiar settings.

11. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm in the middle of a mid life career change. Hairdressing to general insurance. Took a course in the fall of 2011 and spent all of 2012 looking for an entry level job. Got one just days after my license exam expired so I spent Jan. studying to rewrite as well as doing a specific course on auto insurance. Passed both exams and am now learning my way around the office.

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

My most pressing concern, is to find a job. However, the career fair I went to a couple of weeks ago was really disheartening. It was in Santa Fe, so I got up at the crack of dawn and drove up there only to stand in line for almost five hours in the cold. When I finally got in, I was shuffled around from station to station where I had to fill-out some paper work (and more paper work). When I did finally get to talk to real people, it was for less than ten minutes. Then I was pushed out the door. Obviously, I've heard nothing back from anyone I talked to. I haven't given up, but it's sometimes hard to get motivated.

I set-out the year with the goal of finishing a novel. I've been mulling it for years now, and I really wanted to accomplish something this year. I had three ideas to start with--each having some bit of work done in the past--and I was hoping to make some progress with at least one. My goal was 8,000 words per month. And, yes, I'm already behind two months in.

My problem is I'm just not that strong a writer, and I'm also a perfectionist at the same time. So I tend to get caught-up on the minutia and fuss about wordage and syntax. Sometimes I scrutinize a single sentence for hours. The other problem is I'm a poet first--a fairly decent one, even. My free-style often clashes with traditional prose. I don't do succinct.

Though J.'s fanfic seems like a good idea. I've thought about starting there for practice. I do have a few ideas.

13. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

What are your fanfics about and are they posted on the internet?

I've written some fanfics as well and have some that are incomplete, but its hard fo rme to write now because I can't do it at work on the computer and all I have out here with me (I'm in the Army and deployed) is my new sony tablet and I don't know any good android apps that are like Word.

I would like to finish at least one of them though while I"m here if I can.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have a goal to visit every ball park in the major leagues. I'm halfway through, right now.

Here are the teams I've already visited: Orioles, Yankees*, Red Sox, Rays, White Sox, Royals, Twins*, Braves, Marlins, Mets*, Phillies, Nationals, Cubs, Cardinals*

*this means I've seen the old stadium where they used to play, and the one they're at now. Meaning: both old and new Yankee Stadium; Busch Stadium II and III in St. Louis; Shea Stadium and Citi Field for the Mets; and the Metrodome and Target Field for the Twins

Ones I'm going to this year: Mariners, Diamondbacks, Angels, Dodgers, Athletics, Giants, Padres, Pirates

And those which I will have left: Blue Jays, Tigers, Rockies, Brewers, Rangers, Astros, Reds, Indians

How am I getting there? In some cases I take an organized tour, because there are some ballparks (like Dodger Stadium) where you have to drive to get there, and no way am I wasting my vacation time driving. Plus the thought of driving in California scares me - I know for a fact I'd get lost. But in cities like New York, Chicago and Boston, which have mass transit, I can go there alone.

Once I get all of these places visited, I can go back and revisit the ones I like the best. My favorite non-NY ballparks - the Yankees and Mets are my favorite teams so I am biased :lol: - are definitely Fenway Park (Red Sox) and Camden Yards (Orioles). I'll probably spend two weeks on those!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  15. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2013: the year of making me happy

Steps to achieving this goal:
    - 1. Move. Mission accomplished. Moved into a new apartment almost three weeks ago. So far, I am loving the new place.

- 2. Sell my old condo. This is a work in progress. Painting, cleaning, replacing the carpet. The hope is to have the place ready to sell in early March. (It was supposed to be end of February, but, well, that's not happening)

- 3. Vacation. Trip to England is planned and paid for. Happening in May.

- 4. New car? Dependent upon my financial situation after selling my condo in step 2. Would like to treat myself to a new ride this year but it's not my most pressing concern.

- 5. Dating. I just met someone new, and these past two weeks have been pretty amazing. I hope this person sticks around for a good, long while.

- 6. New job. This will be my focus in the second half of 2013. I frankly don't have time to devote to it due to everything else going on!

16. Ulva

Ulva Keeper of the Coffee Admiral

Overall goal: get a job that fits with my education. Not especially easy. I have made a very good impression on some important people, but they are dependent on funds from the municipality which means they have to argue to get even a project on the road. We'll see. I keep smiling their way anyway.

Right now: Fanfiction. I write out of order, I have realised over time. I can jump in and start with a scene in the middle, move to the a chapter in to the story, then back towards the end and back to the middle... And I also get the action down first, like important events and conversation, and then I go back and fill in the details and create the backdrop.

I really shouldn't write fanfiction but concentrate on the "real" story I have started to make an outline to. Alas! It's hard. It's a baby, a darling, the hardest thing to write.

17. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

My immediate goals are to be physically well and to tackle the mess in my study (both its appearance and a lot of paperwork that needs to be done). The long medical saga appears to be winding down, finally. As for my study... well, so far I've installed TurboTax on the computer. That's about it.

Maybe the Orioles deserve an asterisk, too? You visited the site where Memorial Stadium used to be.

18. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Building a computer from loads of old and a few new bits.
    so far:
    Old, cheap and not too sturdy metallic grey X-Gear casing, I didn't dare to use the powersuply that came with it, used a Be Quiet! 350 watt PSU instead.
    The casing has a removable filter for the intake fan, quite the works for a casing that cheap..
    New socket 939 board from Asrock 785 chipset so it has a Radeon 4000 series GPU on board, 1.5Gb in old DDR-1 400 RAM
    Old, very old AMD Athlon64 3500+ chip 2.2Ghz, of course its single core, Arctic Freezer64 CPU cooler, one 120x120mm fan front intake, two glaring red led Revoltec 80x80mm fans exhaust fans.
    Found a rather old DVD writer and yes I build in a floppy drive... no HDD yet but I've tested it with a Linux Mint13 64 bit live CD.
    I might buy a HDD or just install Linux on a USB stick, we'll see.

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

It's kind of depressing that MLB has been to Target Field and I haven't.

If you got it, flaunt it.

20. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

What are you redoing in the kitchen?

That's fantastic! It sounds like it's been a bit of a journey, but congrats on getting there! :)

I like this. :techman:

I like this too. Wishing you good health.