Mayan Apocalypse

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by splodenode, Dec 20, 2012.

1. splodenode

splodenode Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is this gonna start at midnight and be an all day thing or is it all just gonna happen at once? What time zone will it start in? Should I let my dog out before it hits?

2. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6am? Can't the apocalypse have a little decency and let me get a decent night's sleep before destroying the Earth?

4. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

If the apocalypse can destroy splodenode's creepy avatar once and for all, it will have all been worthwhile. That thing can't be destroyed with conventional weapons alone.

However, 3:11 AM Pacific Time? You can fuck right off, apocalypse.

5. Aeronef

Aeronef Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Believe it or not, this morning I did a brief phone interview for our local radio station about this.

I'm not sure how helpful I was, because I don't know all that much about the 2012 phenomenon in particular. But I was able to say some anodyne things about fringe beliefs and apocalypticism in general.

Plus, I was able to point out that this is not the first time that the Mayan Calendar has prompted wild speculation. Back in the 1970s, when ancient astronauts were all the rage (along with the Bermuda Triangle), Allen and Sally Landsburg produced a book and a movie, The Outer Space Connection, in which they argued that the ancestors of the Maya had come from outer space, and would be returning to Earth on the day the Mayan Calendar turned over.

The problem was--I mean, aside from the problem of being batshit crazy--they got the date wrong. They thought the Space Maya would be returning to Earth on 24 December 2011.

6. Kelthaz

So when's the next apocalypse anyway? The last two were Y2K and the real Y2K, now it's the Mayan Apocalypse, but what's next?

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think we need to redefine the word "apocalypse."

8. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

9. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Everyone has forgotten Y1K, obviously.
    http://www.ashleighbrilliant.com/writings.html#Y1K CrisisS

10. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Well there's 2053 (roughly) when World War III occurs according to Trek

Or February 14th 2016, according to an "expert" in Ghostbusters 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kiiuc0M4L40
    :lol:

11. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

12. Aeronef

Aeronef Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

According to Wikipedia, F. Kenton Beshore, President and founder of the World Bible Society, has confirmed that Jesus will return some time between 2018 and 2028.

So, we have a few years to get 'rapture ready'.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Someone should ask Joss Whedon.

14. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Maya, Maya ... Maya, Maya ... Maya, Maya, Maya, Maya ...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE0pwJ5PMDg[/yt]

15. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Says you; I still have a lot to live for. I'd take having to look at splodenode's avatar every day over a cataclysm happening tomorrow.

And I don't think it is a good idea to treat apocalypse rudely. Please refrain from doing so, to avoid jinxing things for everyone. Maybe if we're courteous, it will turn around and leave.

Besides, with that sort of attitude, the apocalypse would probably leave that avatar floating around as a wireless signal, where it will probably be intercepted by some unsuspecting spacecraft or distant planet.

Can we please refrain from any Mayan calendar jokes until after December 21st has come and gone, so that we don't jinx things. I'll even make a deal: if nothing has happened by December 23rd, 12:00 pm, I'll make wisecracks with you all. But for now, I see this moment as a time of somber self-reflection.

I think now is a time to reflect on our selves, and to meditate on how we can improve ourselves and attain a greater peace, even if the next several hours were to be our last, and to think of reasons why God might find our civilization worthy to continue to advance unabated.

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

As an Atheist, I respectfully say, "Nah."

17. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    Still 8 hours away. Hmm, I'll be on the bus on my way home from work when it happens. Oh well, as good a place as any.

[​IMG]

18. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

[​IMG]

For those too thick to figure out that the world isn't ending in the next 24 hours (as opposed to those having fun with the meme, as we all do)... Well, the 144000-day Mayan calendar has ended twelve times previously (the one ending tomorrow is the 13th), & the world is still here... I'm gonna go out on a limb and say on December 22d the 14th calendar will start. just like a new western calendar starts every January 1st. And the changes between Julian and Gregorian calendars hadn't happened - but, then again, the whole "doomsday prophecy" thing was made up by a gold-digging German junkie in a trashy wannabe-Castaneda paperback in 1975. And not by the Mayans...

19. Kelthaz

Ah, shit! I knew that posting on TrekBBS was bad for me, but I had no idea. Hey everyone, sorry for the whole destroying the Earth and killing everyone you love thing by making a joke about sleeping in. My bad. Forgive me?

20. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I became a Scientologist this morning just for the apocalypse. I'll renounce them tomorrow. Anyway, eggnog helps the end of the world go down.