sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Well that and - as you seem to imply there - cable TV movies. I remember HBO's Game Change, a movie about Sarah Palin no doubt designed to counter the dearth of Sarah Palin on television, was aired on Sky Atlantic a couple of months back.

On the other hand, cable TV movies could arguably be competing with non-blockbuster feature films (Ed Harris, Julianne Moore, Woody Harrelson... it sounds like the kind of cast you'd have for a movie in respectable limited release).

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, for all we know, Fuller caught an old rerun of "The Munsters" on cable one night and inspiration struck. "You know, you could do a really interesting modern variation on this . . . . "

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Except that the "TV movies" that appear on non-premium cable channels are usually just repackaged direct-to-DVD movies. At least Syfy still does the occasional 4-hour miniseries. But it would be nice if commercial television, either network or cable (and is that even a meaningful distinction anymore?), still made original TV movies, particularly series like the Columbo or Perry Mason or Alien Nation movie series we used to have, or even original series like the Universal Action Pack had in its first year. (That was a syndicated "movie wheel" block that included the original, movie-length version of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, Vanishing Son, and TekWar, along with various other movie series based on Universal properties like Midnight Run and Smokey and the Bandit -- although its Knight Rider 2010 "series" was exactly one movie long. After the first year, it dropped the movie format and filled the 2-hour syndication block with hourlong series of Hercules and Vanishing Son -- the latter of which was unceremoniously dropped after one season to make room for Xena: Warrior Princess. Meanwhile, TekWar got spun off into a weekly series on the USA network.)

4. Greg Cox

Well, Lifetime is still in the TV-movie biz . . . .

5. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In Fuller's previous work, "death" is finally growing up and understanding that life is the mundane stuff you do every day and "life" is what meaning that mundane stuff creates for you, in opposition to the meaningless of death. B'Elanna Torres in Barge of the Dead has an epiphany about the heroism of engineering (amongst other things,) and George in Dead Like Me actually gets a job to support herself (and keeps having weekly maturing experiences) and Chuck in Pushing Daisies is compelled to get back in some way to her mundane life with her aunts.

Symbols of illicit sexuality like vampires are not a natural fit for this kind of oeuvre. "Herman" might be if he remembered his past life/lives (?) and didn't love Lily but I'm pretty sure the formula won't be tampered with so much. As for Marilyn's unrequited loves, she only has to move out of the house. There's no drama there, and the humor is the laugh at the idiot kind.

Oh Fuller is talented and he has more than his preferred themes so he might make this fly. But maybe not. Humor is conflict. The conflict between being monsters and being a loving family was the essential tension in The Munsters. The essential tension in Mockingbird Lane seems to be the conflict between being monsters and....being unpopular because you're monsters?:confused: This is the motor that's going to propel a show?

Obviously final judgment must be reserved.

6. Christopher

I've seen those in the listings, but since I don't watch that channel, I didn't know whether they were really original movies or just DTV films repackaged for TV like "Syfy Original Movies" are.

7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yes, words do have meanings and you'll notice, perhaps not surprisingly, that among the meanings of strange are "curious and "odd." The meaning of unusual is "happens infrequently." So if I say something is "not unusual but weird," it means "happens frequently but is curious." See? But I suppose now you'll tell me that the meaning of curious is "wants to know about stuff." :D

And yet, after all that, different is still different.

8. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Well that too, but...

curious [ˈkjʊərɪəs]
    adj
    1. eager to learn; inquisitive
    2. over inquisitive; prying
    3. interesting because of oddness or novelty; strange; unexpected
    4. Rare (of workmanship, etc.) highly detailed, intricate, or subtle
    5. Obsolete fastidious or hard to please

Interesting because of oddness or novelty, strange, unexpected and rare... and we're back to it either happens infrequently and thus is unusual or it happens often and isn't weird at all.

Perhaps what you mean to say is you don't like it.

9. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

No, I meant exactly what I said: It's not unusual, but still weird. That conveys the meaning in a very understandable way. :)

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Syfy has an active hand in putting up the production for these films and dictating the direction of them. They aren't just buying DTV movies they are actually producing them.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/interviewsnews.php?id=14224
    http://moviemavericks.com/2010/06/interview-david-michael-latt/
    http://gigaom.com/video/felicia-days-red-a-ratings-hit-says-syfy-exec/
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/16/arts/television/16syfy.html?pagewanted=all

I don't know that it's any different working with the Asylum to make a Mega Python movie or working with RHI to make Tin Man.

11. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually Game Change was an original TV movie, and that is something HBO still does.

12. Greg Cox

Yeah, a friend of mine wrote Flu Bird Horror and I seem to recall him getting notes on his script from Syfy.

13. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I'm still confused. How can you think something is weird but usual/common? "Unusual" is nearly synonymous with "weird" while "common" is nearly an antonym of it.

Is english a second language for you?

14. Christopher

No, he's just using "weird" to mean "something I choose not to understand or acknowledge as valid, no matter how common it is."

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So, weird to him.

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you were to use Merriam-Webster as your dictionary source, instead of reference.com, you'd find that "weird" can also mean things such as "magical", "based on fantasy", or "unfamiliar", none of which are precisely synonymous with "infrequent", most especially "unfamiliar".

17. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

So we're back to it not being unusual but he doesn't like it. So he's using the words badly.

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

They're calling this thing a drama, so, most likely it will be a drama with a few laughs thrown in, like Stargate SG-1 was

19. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

20. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

This would be so exciting to see come through, Blake's 7 is great, despite it's special effects weaknesses. With a Reboot, finally making it to air, that may even encourage them to release the Classic Series on DVD here in the States, I know many folks who like to buy the Series, but, it's only available in PAL.