So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I'm reading the Shiver trilogy (Wolved of Mercy Falls) by Maggie Stiefvater.

2. T'Pala

T'Pala Lieutenant Red Shirt

3. Janos

Janos Commander Red Shirt

I have loved much of the DS9 Relaunch books except for the first 3 Mission Gamma books and the 3 Worlds of DS9 books. Enjoyed Mission Gamma Book 4 Lesser Evil and really liking the Warpath which follows Worlds of DS9.

Thanks. I was able to track it down. So, I'll read that one DS9 relaunch story with Brunt after Soul Key, but before Rise Like Lions.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Ironically the last MG book was my least favorite, and I consider Twilight (the Mission Gamma book, not the vampire one) one of my favorite novels.

EIDT: I need some help. I need to clear some space of off my Nook wishlist, so I was going to buy a couple books, but I have several I'm debating and I was hoping for advice.
    I want to get two of these, I just not sure which two I should get. And in an attempt to continue expanding my horizons beyond Trek I only want to get one Trek book.
    Dresden Files bk 5: Death Masks
    A Song of Ice and Fire bk 2: A Clash of Kings
    ST: Cast No Shadow
    STVOY: Children of the Storm

5. PKS8304

PKS8304 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You should have seen the looks my friends were giving me a few months ago when I told them I was reading Twilight! :rommie:

6. DrCorby

DrCorby Captain Captain

What a coincidence! I'm currently reading Death Masks (Dresden Files bk 5). Since it follows up in large part on the events of the previous book (with new mayhem thrown in), I'd recommend it. I'm only a few chapters in, but I'm enjoying it. :techman:

A Clash of Kings is waiting in my to-be-read pile.

I haven't read Cast No Shadow yet, so I can't comment on it.

I really liked Children of the Storm, and recommend that be your Star Trek purchase. It's a terrific story, with some nice character exploration of both screen characters and new literature characters.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually I'm thinking I will go with CotS and Death Masks. I just read GOT so it seems like a good idea to work on one of the other series I haven't just read, and I've heard nothing but very good things about CoTS.

8. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Thanks to recommendations by readers on this forum. I just started reading The Sundered, a lost era book written by Martin & Mangels.

9. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

I'm sorry to hear that, as I feel that the Mission Gamma books have been the highlight of the Relaunch for me. The only one I haven't enjoyed as much as the rest were Abyss and Left Hand of Destiny.

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Was unexpectedly strict with myself and finished Gemworld II. Over a year to read both books off and on, but finished.

It was OK but not that interesting - it would have probably made a better single novel.

I read it for Melora's background but although Gemworld is well explored, she wasn't...

11. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Currently reading:

*The Door Into Summer-Robert Heinlein

And....

*Facebook postings....

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I did get the books last night.
    The formatting for COS is kind of annoying though, there's a weird rectangle under the title on the cover, the title page covers only about the top right quarter of the screen, and the text of the actual story starts on the very far right edge of the screen. It's so far over it's almost hard to read.

13. Janos

I have saved Left Hand of Destiny for reading later. It was out-of-place compared to the other DS9 relaunch books at that time, wasn't it?

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, it was set earlier in the timeline and in a different location, yes.

15. Janos

Was it set pre-or-post DS9 TV series finale?

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^You know, there are websites called Memory Alpha and Memory Beta where you can look up answers to such simple questions all by yourself. Or, since you own the books, you could just read their back covers and see what they're about.

But as long as I'm at it, LHoD picks up Worf & Martok's stories immediately after the finale of DS9.

17. Janos

Thx. :bolian:

18. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I recently read Star Trek: The Rings of Time, A Rising Thunder by David Weber, and Guardian of Night by Tony Daniel. I'm currently reading the Apocalypse Troll by David Weber.

19. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Currently reading:

Demon Seed by Dean Koontz

(Looking to watch the film sometime, when time permits....)

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

How did you like Guardian of Night? Tony is old friend of mine; I actually published his first novel at Tor ages ago.

Haven't had a chance to read his new book yet.