Video extras

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by KQuita, Apr 11, 2013.

1. KQuita

KQuita Lieutenant Red Shirt

With each subsequent release CBS/Paramount/Viacom have continued to add new bonus features to their sets, I can no longer afford to update my collection, I have at least 1 version of each of the series and movies and unless it's entirely new it's just not going to happen. Does anybody think that CBS could be convinced to do a set of just the bonus features from all the various Trek releases. This I would buy. And I'm sure that I'm not the only one out there that feels this way. What say you all?

KQuita

Live Long . . . . . . . . Enough To Die Well

2. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

What?! And have them miss out on all that money they can shill from us? Shame on you for trying to take very food out of the mouths of the little spoiled kids of the super rich execs... Do you think those huge mansions with Olympic sized swimming pools buy and fill themselves?! Hell no, you'll buy those full sets and like it!

:crazy:

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

The only way I see them doing that is to package the features separately. Of course, they'll have to charge you the price of a season or series collection, since they're going to all the trouble of helping you reduce the size of your library by not buying those repetitious episodes.

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never saw the point of buying the slightly better sound and quality when I have a perfectly functional DVD set. It is double dipping and it is profitable, but.. nah. Some of the extra bonus materials are interesting, but not enough so to warrant shelling out for a whole new set. To say nothing of you can find those on youtube or elsewhere often enough.

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

And "double dipping" is not evil, it's a necessity.

If there were to be a ban on "double dipping", Star Trek sets would simply vanish into oblivion after the first wave of release, or we'd have to wait many more months/years for a definitive, "one time only", seamless branching, never-to-be-altered release.

Stores don't want to stock old, outdated-looking product. Producers of DVD product have to keep revamping box art and content to keep their stuff looking fresh and competitive.

6. R. Star

That's fine. If you want to spend your money twice on the same thing, go for it. I for one, do not.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Not really spending money on the same thing twice...

The Original Series on Blu-ray had brand new special effects that weren't available on my previous DVD season sets as well as seamless branching between old and new effects plus new bonus features.

The Next Generation on Blu-ray is practically a brand new show considering the absolutely dreadful quality of its previous home-video releases. Plus a ton of new bonus material.

8. R. Star

If you say so. I never was into TNG for the wowing 80's effects or the ability to see uniform zippers or Frakes's chest hair. It was the stories that drew me in and I'm fairly certain those didn't change on the BluRay. As for the extras? As I said those will crop up on youtube. :)

9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

If you could keep an eye out for the Season Two ones, I'd appreciate it; still not sure if I'm going to spend money on that particular set.