Captains - Best of the worst - who would you serve under?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Kirby, May 12, 2010.

?

Who would you rather serve under

1. Captain Styles (Excelsior)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Captain J.T. Esteban (Grissom)

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. Captain Matt Decker (Constellation)

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. Captain John Harriman (Enterprise B)

17 vote(s)
    60.7%
  5. Captain Ransom (Equinox)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Captain Harry Kim (Rhode Island)

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok, so we had a poll about which main character Captain would you like to serve under, so how about which 'bad' Captain you would want to serve under.

Since the crew who served under a couple of these 'leaders' faced a gruesome death, let's assume that you were on leave when the ships were destroyed, thus sparing your life.

Aside from how these characters were depicted in canon, these may be completely competent leaders, but let's assume for the sake of arguement that they were exactly how they were depicted on screen, and that you MUST choose one.

2. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

John Harriman was written badly, but I don't think he was necessarily a bad captain. He was ill prepared for the mission (everything was arriving Tuesday). I did like how in some of the books they presented him as a better captain, but just got off to a really, really bad start.

3. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you include the books, Harriman without a doubt. Even without the books, I think I'd still pick him:)

4. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll break the mold and go with Esteban. He strikes me as a bit of a clueless Henry Blake type leader and you could probably get away with a bunch of stuff with him. Also, if you can figure out how to get to the secondary hull, you could probably throw some awesome parties down there and he'd never be the wiser.

5. GalaxyClass1701

GalaxyClass1701 Captain Captain

I don't agree with Hairman or Decker being on a list of bad Captains.

6. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I picked Harriman based on what I know about him from the books and because he was understandably flustered during Generations. Esteban and Styles seem like unimaginative sticks in the mud, so there is no way I would go for them. Ransom behaved in what I would consider an unethical manner, so he's out, too. Decker was probably awesome before he became obsessed with the Doomsday Machine, so he is my second choice. When did Kim captain anything besides the Nightingale?

7. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i'd rather be killed in an exploding starship than serve under harry kim

8. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Harriman. I think if you gave him all the equipment his ship was supposed to have, and kick the media and the superstar captains off his bridge, then he might not be too bad.

9. Vonstadt

Vonstadt Captain Captain

Madison Square Garden : Let's Go Rangers!
    I agree he was in a bad bad position and tried his best.

Plus Harrimen KNEW when to ask for help when he had run out of options. He turned right to the experienced commander and asked for his advice. That is good command material right there.

I actually thought that was our first glimpse of his command style right there, his pride came after his need to solve the problem and save lives.

I like how he is written in the books as well. I would serve under him.

10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I said Harriman, as long as it started on Wednesday.

He wasn't really a bad captain. He just had a handicap and it was like a Saturday or something.

11. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Until your ship blows up out from under you from one shot of a Klingon bird of prey.

12. Vonstadt

Vonstadt Captain Captain

Madison Square Garden : Let's Go Rangers!
    You know come to think about it, Commodore Wesley would've been nice to have on that list too. He struck me as a commander that knew his stuff, even to the point of taking a ship of 19 crew commanded by an old friend out, when the M-5 tore into his battle group.

I would serve with him too.

Vons

13. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Jellico - you know he's got your back in a shitstorm, and he's conspicuously absent from the list...

14. RegFan

RegFan Commodore Commodore

I'd choose him as well for exactly these reasons. Plus, he was probably on his first mission as a Captain in Generations.

15. Piper

Piper Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Harriman, because then I'd be serving on an Enterprise.

16. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain