New podcast devoted to Trek lit

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Nick M, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd like to suggest that you try to follow through on all your topics and not get sidetracked as much. On the last show, I'd get interested in a discussion about one thing and then you'd start talking about the dancing avatars and such.

Looking forward to tomorrow's show. Keep it up.

2. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

I ask the same question, is there a download link?

3. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Could you please consider posting transcripts of your interview programs for those people who can't download or play your videos those of us who can't get them to play at all would really appreciate it thank you.

4. Nick M

Nick M Lieutenant Red Shirt

The rabbit hole of hell that is my psyche
    Hello all,

The second week of The G and T Show is in the books, and I hope (minus the tech issues we had) it was a tighter show for you to listen to. We admittedly got sidetracked a few times, but sidetracked as to talking about more writing in Trek, now dancing avatars. :-)

This week we covered:

• A review of the STO Foundry mission Return to Terra Nova from a writing standpoint (and we did discuss the Enterprise episode it is based on and the writing of that episode)

• A discussion about S&S and their social media, that Pocket Books doesn't even register (meaning they have no Twitter stream for PB or it is so sparely followed)

• Teri went to the comic con in Albuquerque, NM and spoke with Marina Sirtis, and Marina wanting a grassroots campaign as voice of computer in the new JJ film

• Guinan (a short discussion about how I felt that character was well written)

• ebooks/eReaders and Trek on them

• the character of Dr. Crusher, whom Teri just does not like and how the way she was written in TNG has caused the authors to write her character in the novels. This led to a discussion of Dr. Pulaski and then Captain Jellico, a character I love, and how Will Riker was NOT served well in the writing of Chains of Command. There was "discussion" with those who were in the chat room who (as people usually do) think the Picard style is better. Yes it was a kind of sidetrack, but the feedback on this segment in particular was very positive.

• We review and discuss Paths of Disharmony by Dayton Ward.

To reply to a few comments/questions:

Reanok: the show was about 3 1/2 hours both weeks, so a transcript is not really feasible for us. This week's is going up on YouTube and iTunes, so I am hoping those who wish to listen will go to one of those sources. I will post here when they are up there and the link.

Tim Clarke, Jr.: Oh yes, I will be set up and doing a show from Shore Leave, and hoping we can get an author or two to sit with me and join us live.

Dayton Ward was supposed to join us this week, but was unable, and that's cool. I will be interviewing him at Shore Leave. Several of the authors are now hooked up with me on Skype, and you never know when one will drop in!

I did read and try very hard to incorporate the feedback and constructive criticism we received, and hope it was a good listen. We are striving for the best show we can do, that is entertaining and also informative and looking at thing from the writing standpoint. We do talk about the episodes and STO writing, not just the books, but I think the Trek universe is large enough that we can incorporate all that.

Please keep in mind, this is my first podcast, and we ironing out the tech issues. I still think having the livestream is a fin idea from STO, as we visited our new "studio" this week, as well as the STO planet Defera and finally broadcast from the K-7 Lounge on Space Station K-7.

Looking forward to your feedback, and hope you continue on this journey with us. As soon as the links are up for this episode, I will post them here.

All the best.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  5. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Missed about 3/4 of an hour in the middle, as I had to leave just when you started to talk about the Starfleet Academy books and didn't return until after a bio break when you started to talk about Crusher and Jellico I think. The part I missed isn't covered by what is available on the livestream site so I guess I have to wait till it's up on youtube/itunes.

• This episode was much better regarding the flow of the show
    • It's funny that everyone was complaining about the lag, whereas it was much better for me this week. There were lags, but not nearly as bad as last week. :lol:
    • Not sure yet what to think about the STO mission reviews. This one was O.K., since I knew the episode it was referring to, not sure if a review about a mission that doesn't have a connection to something I know will be able to hold my interest, I guess we'll find out in the future.
    • While the flow was much better, you really don't have to hold back on acknowledging people "on the set" so hard. It was pretty obvious sometimes that you wanted to do that, but then held back. As long as it doesn't happen every few minutes it's O.K., it's your show after all and you should have fun. :)

6. Nick M

7. Technobuilder

Thanks for the link. I've been eager to check this out after a long and busy day.

I'll give some feedback once I finish the show.

8. Nick M

Jolan Tru,

We have had over 100 views from the June 26 episode of The G and T Show! If you are one who listened to all or some on YouTube, thank you!

We already have a few items for next week, will announce the winner of our avatar/logo contest, and will have a new segment that will get the listener involved - not in the chat room, but regarding Trek lit!

Thanks again to all of you for the support, and please keep the feedback coming, we only get better with input from you all.

All the best.

9. Nick M

G and T Show to discuss the Bring Back Janeway debate

Jolan Tru,

Yes, this week has been an eye opener in some respects, and we will be discussing:

• The start of The G&T Show book club – so our listeners can join us in a deeper discussion
    • Announcement of Avatar/logo winners
    • Rewatch: “Siege of AR-558” discussion of the writing many have called the most "un-Trek" episode
    • Children of the Storm review
    • Bring Back Janeway debate
    • Crusher – yes, her again, but how the writers underserved her in a big way

I hope you can join us, we start at 9 a.m. EST/6 a.m. PST/1400 GMT at http://www.livestream.com/cerberusfilms

10. KQuita

KQuita Lieutenant Red Shirt

Any idea when the show will be available for subscription on I tunes? The topics sound great, but the only times I would be able to view/listen would be during times when I only have my IPad going. Thanks Bob

11. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

Hey guys, just been listening to your show, and a thought occurs - it might be useful in your show notes to give timings for the points where each discussion subject kicks off, so folks who want to can go straight to a particular part of the show.

Also, regarding...
    Pocket Books does indeed has a Twitter stream (@Pocket_Books) with over 7,000 followers. It's also worth noting that Star Trek tie-ins are now printed under the Galley Books imprint, which has its own Twitter stream (@gallery_books) with just under 1,500 followers.

Incidentally, if you're promoting social media, a lot of us Trek authors also have Twitter feeds, as well...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  12. Nick M

Mr. Swallow,

Thank you, and that is definitely something we will incorporate into the notes.

We did find the Pocket Books information, we did not know about the Gallery Books! Thank you so much!

If you have Skype you are more than welcome to come on the show any time, and we will be discussing "Synthesis" in about two/three weeks....

13. Technobuilder

Not to harp on it but I'd really like to see the shows released as .mp3 files.

The size of these video files (even on youtube) are around 550mb.

That's frankly insane for a file I just want to listen to.

Also, Did Episode 3 happen? I haven't seen a link for it and can't locate one on YouTube.

Thanks.

14. KQuita

I've been checking and still can't find the podcast through ITunes. Is this going to happen or has it just been written off.

15. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

The same here.

16. KQuita

I want to apologize if I came off as sounding snarky and to acknowledge what you guys are doing is something special for fans by fans and that it's something I would like to be able to follow. Unfortunately that can only occur using my Ipod. So I am really looking forward to the possibility of it coming to ITunes. Thanks again for all your effort. Bob

17. tmclough

tmclough Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I, too, would prefer an audio-only version. That said, it should be available both through iTunes, for those that use that, and elsewhere, for those of us who don't.

18. Nick M

Jolan Tru all,

I am sorry I have not replied in a bit, I had my children last week (as a divorced dad I tend to cherish the weekends and weeks that I get them) and then went to Shore Leave 33 last weekend.

To respond about episode 3 (and preemptive about 4) - the person who actually is the tech guru for us lives in Scotland, and is on holiday. I just don't have the tech know-how to post on YouTube, so as soon as he is back they will be posted. I truly apologize for this, but it is the price we sometimes pay for fans doing things for fans. :)

As to iTunes, not only do I hear you, I agree! I want it there too so I can keep a file on my iPod for it. Our tech guy was also working on that. All I can say is please, and I implore you I am being very sincere, PLEASE be patient. This is a new world for me and I really am trying to give you all the best choices to join us.

For those interested (when we do get the show libraries updated) this week we discussed:

• Shore Leave 33 - what I had done there to that point and what authors I had talked with
    • Discussion of Kirsten Beyer’s “Bring Back Janeway” panel
    • Message board etiquette
    • What exactly is canon for Star Trek?

Again, we at the G and T Show are working to resolve these issues so many more of you can enjoy (I hope!) our show.

Oh...in upcoming weeks we will air the interview I did with Kirsten Beyer, audio of Ms. Beyer's "Bring Back Janeway" panel and the audio of a panel with Dayton ward, Kevin Dillmore, Marco Palmieri and David Mack about Star Trek Vanguard.

Thank you all for your input/feedback and suggestions.

All the best,
    Nick

P.S. - Shameless plug whore here, if you are interested, we have a Facebook page (Sunday G and T Show), a Twitter feed (@SundayGandT) and you can email us at: sundaygant@yahoo.com

Ok, self-promotion over.

19. KQuita

Nick, Thanks for the follow up. Glad you were able to have a good time with your kids. Life is to short and they grow up so fast. And from all reports Shoreleave was a resounding success. I look forward to the upgrades. Bob

20. Technobuilder

No worries mate, family first.

Thanks for getting back to us. I'm eager to hear about Shore Leave (as I NEVER get to go) so thanks for that. Yea! Marco!