Allison Mack Interview --Chloe arcs!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just finished reading this quite interesting interview that newsarama did with Allison Mack regarding upcoming story lines for Chloe. The most interesting part is when she touches upon her character's status (or non status if you will) at DC Comics.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/Allison-Mack-Smallville-100212.html

Wasn't really sure where to post this...

2. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    That was great. I actually hated the Chloe character & didn't like Allison Mack much from season 1-4 1/4...I think she gets better every season and wish they had more for her...there was stuff from earlier seasons that Allison could knock out of the park now...back then I think she stuggled with.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

^
    Really? I was in love with her upon seeing the bus scene in the pilot. The wall of weird scene (still probably the show's best take) was just icing on the cake.

4. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I've only seen the first three seasons plus the episode Absolute Justice, but I remember (back when watching the show regularly) wondering why Lana was the love interest when Allison Mack was on the show.

5. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

She annoyed me in the begining...I really wish she had found out about Clark's secret from some point in season 1 or 2...everything got better for me when she did. As much as I like KK/Lana...that character got ruined right about the time Chloe got better for me.

6. Admiral_Young

I have also loved Chloe since the first time I saw her. Have always thought that her character was a great invention for the Superman mythos and the tension between her and Clark in the early seasons was interesting. Her feelings for him and him ignoring Chloe because of his feelings for Lana. There was no reason for her to learn Clark's secret at the start because Pete was his best friend and really was meant to be the fodder for that it wasn't until he left the show that Chloe's character really started to develop.

7. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

No one here will believe this but: Chloe's my favorite character. I, like many though, didn't like her in the early seasons of the show. I always saw her (just like she said in an episode) pretty much as being the girl next door that guys always look over for the hot cheerleader type - and I was also guilty of that. Now Chloe is my favorite character and I can't believe I didn't like her earlier.

8. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I will say this...the idea that Clark would keep Chloe at a distance becuase he had the hots for Lana(who was with Whitney & Still had feelings for him going into season 2) is dumb...that makes Clark an ass. I have my personal reasons for not liking the Chloe character from season 1-4 1/2...but Clark should have given her a chance...unless he just wasn't into her...and I did not see that being the case...I think Clark adored Chloe, but having Lana goggles on really messed it up.
    This is the writers fault but Pete was totally useless...would have been better Chloe knowing his secret rather than Pete. IMHO.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I am sure I am not the first one to have the following idea -

Allison Mack should have been Lana Lang. No not playing the role written for Krusten Kruek. Basically playing her the way she has played Chloe and a similar function on the show but under the name Lana.

10. Admiral_Young

One of the things that has bugged me over the years in Smallville is the way the writers have attempted to create drama by using characters relationships with each other in a soap opera style way. This kind of forced relationship drama that they keep on bringing up over and over again...we suffered through it for years with Clark and Lana. Clark should have realized that Lana was off limits and gone for Chloe. It's been teased that Clark does have some kind of romantic feelings for her. I remember in season six after the Zod episode that when Chloe brings up kissing Clark when she thinks they're going to die...Clark has this look on his face like he was willing to presue something with her but then Chloe brushes it off. I would have liked the writers to at least explore this aspect. I still remember back to season one when Clark brings Chloe to junior prom only to leave her during the tornado to save Lana.

11. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

^

I too, wish that they (meaning the writers) had explored the ramifications of that kiss in the aftermath of the Zod/Lex incident. Clearly, when Clark and Chloe realized the world wasn't going to end, there was the awkwardness of that little, intimate encounter. It should've been explored a bit before being brushed under the table.

I really hope Allison will sign IF Souders and Petersen get their way and have a final season in which to end the show.

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Chloe was set-up to fail from the get go due to Milfred's unhealthy obsession with Kreuk. From the very start, Mack had the better screen presence, better personality, more charm an charisma, more believable chemistry with Welling. The only think Kreuk had going for her was sex appeal and even that has been debated ad nauseum. I also think Milfred was aware of this and thus the countless attempts to sabotage any possible Chlark.

I remember the days when I still frequented Kryptonsite (back before it went to shit), and someone had imply Milfred was being "Whedonesque." But where Whedon sabotaged his relationships out of a means to a narrative end, Milfred seemed to just do it out of spite unwilling to admit a bad casting choice.

Mack is much closer "traditional" Lana Lang (sans the red hair, of course) which makes Draper's assessment spot-on.

13. Admiral_Young

I agree that Allison should've been cast as Lana. They could have even asked her to die her hair red. That being said there was no reason for the writers to drag us through constant on and off again bull shit between Clark and Lana. They pretty much wrecked any kind of emotional investment fans might have had towards them being together. I think they should have written their relationship like John Bryne did in his "Man of Steel" mini-series where they eventually fall in love and Clark decides to tell Lana his secret. Instead they decide to first let Pete know and then write him out of the series and allow Chloe to step in and full fill that role. Just a whole lot of unrealized potential I think.

14. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. Still am.

15. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting that yet again an excellent female character makes her way into the comics after having been introduced on a television version of a superhero's story. Chloe Sullivan enters the ranks of Barbara Gordon and Harley Quinn. Does anyone know if this has ever happened with a male character? Just curious...

16. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    Does DC have plans to make or have made Warrior Angel comics???

That would be interesting.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I think Jimmy Olsen might have started on the Superman radio show.

According to the Wiki, Barbara wasn't quite a TV character who tranistioned to comics:

18. Admiral_Young

Just to add something about recasting...I think Cassidy Freeman would have made a great Lana Lang. I didn't know that about Barbara.

19. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Cassidy Freeman is great and agree she would have made a great Lana.

Hope Allison Mack can get on board for a 10th season...if there is one. :(