Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

AIM "seemed" to originate without any stoking from Hydra.

Fall of Hydra seemed to be an indicator to merit the end of World War 2, more so than it's specialized collapse predating or postdating the fall of the Third Reich.

It's just a question of if Hydra persisted past the death of the Red Skull and Captain America.

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

HYDRA is already set to appear in the Captain America movie, so they are far from gone.

3. Guy Gardener

One. Just because it fell, it doesn't mean that it couldn't have bounced.

Two. Cut one head off, two more grow back.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

But enough about your sex life!

5. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm kind of hoping that eventually we'll start to see more of the groups and organizations from the comics just obviously adapted to fit the MCU. I suppose they wanted a few episodes to let the cast have a chance to get their feet wet before they start devoting screen time to building up the bad guys - after all with only what? About 120-ish minutes of screen time to get the main cast introduced and give them some time to do something - if they would have started building the bad guys up too much too early, we'd be getting like 20 minutes of bad guys and about 20 minutes of the good guys to try and like them.

6. Guy Gardener

I'm just waiting for the Season 3 episode that follows around a Hydra team trying to grab the Alien tech before Coulsen's squad.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^"Cops" shaky cam style?

8. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I'm just glad it's not as bad as Torchwood.

9. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I'll still be in the house. Just downstairs in my workshop watching. So you'll have to be vewwy quiet.

10. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Post 442

11. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Been wondering about that.

We still don't know where/when Schmidt vanished to towards the end of The First Avenger, right?

12. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Right. Caps said he is dead, but I think he was mistaken, since Thor and Loki use the cube in a similar way to go back to Asgard.

Just watched the Marvel One-Shot "Agent Carter".
    That was a fun film and is related to the show in a minor way.

13. Guy Gardener

The Skull has been hanging out in Asgard, finds some golden apples and stops ageing?

The Skull has been hanging out in space (on planets in space.) takes space vitamins and his life expectancy is quintupled?

Hmmm...

Remember Rama Tut finding Doom in the Timestream, thinking his armour is cool and becoming Kang?

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Or the Red Skulll transferred his mind into Robert Redford's body.

15. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Damn, Guy, I've been reading marvel since the 60s and I don't remember half that stuff.

16. Guy Gardener

Have the retconned Nathaniel Richards being Dooms secret father?

Because that really messed up Kang's back history.

17. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

For the record, the X-Files actually set the gold standard for this approach. X-Files was doing it better and before Buffy. No offense to Buffy. Just binged the entire 7 seasons for the first time, on Netflix and I liked the show. But credit where credit is due.

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I'd say that X-Files is probably the worst possible example for this sort of thing. If you want to do a slow burn over arching plot then it's helpful if the writer has more than just a vague notion of what that is and how they're going to execute some kind of endgame. The likes of Lost also suffered from this nested mystery box syndrome which seems compelling at first but it quickly becomes apparent that they're just making crap up as they go along. I'd say post season 2 BSG and Heroes also sort of fall into this category too.

Indeed the only examples I can think of that did this well are Buffy, Angel & Babylon 5. The former two were more compartmentalized within each season while the latter played the long con.

19. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah Buffy made Season Arcs an artform.. contempory shows like Docor Who and Arrow (to the degree that we can tell so far) follow this format successfully it seems. Smallville did it less successfully.

20. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

X-Files was exactly what I wasn't talking about. X-Files would use whole episodes devoted to the mythology and then nothing related to it elsewhere. I'm talking about throwing hints at the season long arc (X-Files wasn't a season per arc either) in each episode while devoting more to it in finales. Sure, the X-Files had stand-alones in addition, but the existence of stand alone episodes isn't sufficient by itself to be what I'm talking about.