They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Presumably because they made a gabillion pounds. A fraction of that would be considered a success.

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

So certain you might not be, if access to WB's focus group data you had, and own career was on the line, yours was.

:p

3. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

It gives a chance to showcase the new versions of characters as well as ones who are just now getting a movie in an environment where they get plenty of screen time and characterization so they know who is popular enough to focus on in the team and who to give the shaft and to also allow the audience to give a crap about these guys before putting them in a team movie that has to divide up the screen time between the characters.

Seriously do you really think DC should risk screwing this up becuase the characters come off as weak in the big film, instead of using the solo films to figure out who works the best and who needs a recast?

4. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

By this line of reasoning they shouldn't have included Iron Man if Downey Jr. bombed bad with the box office and critics/fans?

I certainly didn't like the Thor movie at all for the most part but they still had him in the movie because he was part of the initial comic lineup.

The whole Marvel thing was a huge gamble.. even if the solo movies were successes the team movie could have ruined it all by being all flash and no substance. Marvel didn't have contingency plans because these movies need years to be done and were tightly integrated into the entire universe so even if an actor turned out bad he still would have been in the movie.

The exception of course if Norton's Hulk/Bruce Banner.. while being very good in his own movie they still recast him and it worked but i'd dare say it was not only because they found a good actor to replace him but the writing of Whedon that made the Hulk (an otherwise boring character to me) the breakout star of the movie.

IF WB sets a similar timetable like Marvel they have committed themselves like Marvel and i don't believe lightning can strike twice so i'm very hesitant to just copy Marvel's approach.

They tried the big budget, effects heavy summer blockbuster with Green Lantern and it didn't work because the elements of the movie didn't click like they did with Iron Man so DC might need to try a different approach and bringing in Nolan might be the first correct step.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Non sequitur. Thor was the tenth highest-grossing film of 2011. Naturally there are going to be individuals who dislike any given film, but Thor didn't come anywhere remotely near bombing. Rotten Tomatoes gives it an 80% audience approval and 77% critic approval rating.

Which is why they were smart to give it to Whedon. It guaranteed that wouldn't be the case.

I don't think that's the exception, I think it proves your previous statement isn't true. Particularly when you consider that they also recast James Rhodes when Terence Howard got disappointing reviews.

6. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure if Iron Man bombed they might have gone back an rethought the whole thing. So its likely that there wouldn't have been an Avengers film to put him in.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't mind Goyer and Nolan being involved, but I'd rather not see them bring back Bale, if he's playing the same character from the Dark Knight trilogy. I thought the ending of TDKR was a perfect ending for that series and I'd hate to see it canceled out just for Justice League. I would be interested in seeing Nolan direct JL, just to see how would handle a more comic booky movie, with aliens and real superpowers.

8. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

From what I understood, Howard was difficult to work with, and cost quite a bit.

Edited to add: I'm wrong about the difficult to work with, I misread Faverau not happy with his performance bit...

9. Christopher

Honestly, I never really thought Bale was all that good a Batman. I really want to leave the Bat-growl in the past. (Seriously, why did he keep using the growl in TDKR even when he was alone or with people who knew he was Bruce? And even when he was specifically choosing to reveal his identity to a certain character?)

Either way, the point is, Marvel is willing to replace actors.

10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

You might have been posting while I edited. But, yeah. Some day, Marvel will replace Downey if Iron Man is still successful enough to continue.

11. Christopher

And of course other movie series have recast their leads, often more than once. James Bond is the classic example, and there are the '80s and '90s Batman movies, but it happened a lot in the early days too -- the Universal Dracula and Frankenstein films, Tarzan films, Perry Mason (who appeared in a movie series starting in the '30s), etc. Not to mention all the recast leading/supporting ladies like Saavik, Rachel Dawes, April O'Neill, Elizabeth from Back to the Future, Evie from The Mummy, etc.

Although it doesn't always prove successful. There was a 1968 film called Inspector Clouseau, the third film with that character, which was made without the involvement of Peter Sellers or Blake Edwards, starring Alan Arkin in the title role. It basically killed the series until Edwards and Sellers resurrected it in 1975.

12. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I don't think Cheadle would get better reviews... Howard is like ten times as charismatic.

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

You forgot the other British series besides Bond that keeps recasting its lead, Doctor Who!;)

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I no longer have hope of this ever being made. Sad considering the game trailers for recent JL titles seem to get it right...epic struggle!

15. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Jennifer from Back to Future, Christopher. You are thinking of Elizabeth Shue who replaced Claudia Wells in the role.

16. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a matter of opinion. Nothing against Howard but Cheadle is one of the best actors working. I've been a fan since his days on Picket Fences and he was nothing short of electrifying in Hotel Rwanda.

17. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

18. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Breaking news from Patton Oswalt on Twitter!

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Because what Marvel did and how they did not only worked but worked fantastically. Why re-invent the wheel?

Anyway, the Internetterbookaverse has been going on about Bale returning as Batman. Anything at all behind that?

20. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

We don't know yet.