Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Zen is the Game Store, called C-Store, currency used in all Perfect World games.
    There are 3 ways to get Zen:

Purchase directly with real money and then transfer it to the game to make a store purchase.

Do those surveys advertised on the homepage/forums to get free Zen, though those could be called datamining traps for the most part.

Earn Dilithium in game, which might be hard at the beginning, and use the Dilithium Exchange to convert it to Zen.
    Right now is a great time to do that, as Zen are cheaper then ever before on the Exchange, since Dilithium is becoming more and more valuable in game, it is also used to purchase high end gear and progress Fleet Starbases and such.

There are a few things you might want to buy from the C-Store:

Energy Credit Limit Upgrade, I think right now you are stuck at 10 million max, which sounds like a lot, but is really not if you want to purchase high end gear later from the EC Exchange. Upgrade ups it to a Billion or so.

maybe a couple of character slots if you plan on creating more alts. Atm you have 1 slot for your Fed and as soon as you reach level 25 you gain a Klingon Character slot.

Eventually you might need more Inventory and Bank slots. I have maxed them on my Main and I am gold, so I have more than a silver player by default and I am still constantly out of space to put stuff in.

If you hurry and get to level 10 or so you can still participate in the Winter daily in Q's Winter Wonderland to earn a free endgame Breen ship, which has better stats then any ship you get for for free through standard progression and leveling.

The Miranda Class is the standard starter ship, it is also possible to buy a classic Constitution class, an Oberth class, and an NX class in the C-Store to start with after the tutorial or you can get the Steam Starter Pack, which includes a starter level and an endgame version of the Steamrunner class.

Every 10 ranks you earn a new more powerful ship seperated by Tiers (1-5), which have typically a C-Store variant that has mildly better stats and mostly comes with a special powers console.

Endgame is dominated by C-Store ships , Fleet refits and Lockbox ships, but minus some nifty gadgets the standard free T5 ships are mostly competitive, so no pressing need to buy one.

2. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

Zen is real world money (how Cryptic finances the game) but you don't need it.

3. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

ZEN is used to purchase a variety of enhanced/bonus/vanity services and items from the game's C-Store. For myself, I feel that its not worth purchasing anything from the C-Store unless you decide you want to play STO for the long-term.

Also, I tried adding your character FosterFFisher@Melkuris to the fleet, but there's no such character.

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Maybe he's in limbo since he's in what looks like a tutorial (on screen instructions about transporters, maneuvering), and not in the real game world yet. I'll see if can get him further along tonight.

I didn't see a way to determine his address. All I know is username and log-in name were different, and instructions said not to reveal log-in name.

5. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd bet it's Foster@Melkurius...

6. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the chat window just type 'Hi', you'll see how your name is displayed correctly once you hit 'enter'. I think this was my first question here too. :D

If the chat window isn't open, hit your enter key to open it.

7. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Stupid question from stupid me.
    It seems as if my STO crashed last night. All that happened is it closed, and there was some kind of prompt that flashed on that said it crashed.
    When I try to go on, it asks me for my sign on and password. But then it won't go any further than the prompt asking me if I want to cancell. It never comes up with the ENERGIZE button.
    If I just download STO again, will I be able to start up where I left off, or are my characters gone with all my progress?
    Please help this pathetically computer-illiterate User.

Thanks.

8. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    Characters are completely stored on the server, a client crash can't make you lose them. However, a reinstall is probably not necessary; in the launcher options, you can force a full file check. That should examine every file and redownload any that are corrupt.

On rare occasions, that doesn't work, in which case you have two options:

1) If you can see the crash before it goes away, it may tell you what file it's crashing in. You can then delete that file and it will automatically redownload it.

2) If not, then yes, you'll need to reinstall.

9. Timelord Victorious

Don't re-install... check your taskmanager to see if anything that seems related to STO is still running and close it manually.

Or simply restart your computer. That should fix it.

10. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

I just acquired the Flurry (snowball autorifle) and don't know how I lived without it before. :-)

I tried to shoot Kenny but it won't let me shoot Player Chars. So how are other characters shooting me with their snow weapons? Do they know a glitch that I don't?

11. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm wonder how these 'weapons' fare outside the wonderland. Fighting off Romulans with snowballs sounds kinda fun. :D

12. Timelord Victorious

The snowguns are using Q magic and only work inside the Winterwonderland. once it's over you can say goodbyy to it for the rest of the year.
    You can't shoot other players, at least of the same faction.
    What you get hit with is probably just regular snowballs, an "enemy" faction snowball has a chance to knock you over, which I painfully had to endure while doing my daily race.
    A couple KDF players found it funny to grief me the whole distance.
    I won the race, but just barely.

13. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Be glad it didn't because I have an avalanche now.

14. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks! Just restarted and that did the trick!:bolian:

15. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

You can still keep stuff like your winter jackets and scarves, and the lirpa or bat'leth year round, right?

16. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

Yes, you keep those all year

17. Rocketeer

Yep, if you have an empty costume slot just create a winter look for your char that you can switch to when it's the season. If the hand weapons work like the ones last year, it's an actual weapon. You should also be able to sling it around for effect against other characters or npcs but without damage.

18. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

^I now have two winter looks! Although the new jacket set will work quite well out of season, as well...

19. Timelord Victorious

Huh, you learn something new about the game every day...
    I just found out, that the Ophidian Cane works with stealth module!

20. Rocketeer

Not many players use the Ophidian Cane or it would have been nerfed a long time ago.

It's good for disrupting enemy ground combat and used in combination with other abilities can drastically change the odds in your favor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.