TMP's uniforms

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by RobertScorpio, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    Looks like Scotty meets Miami Vice! Whoa! -- RR

2. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I still think that some of the uniform "disarray" in TMP can be explained that the crew was a hodgepodge of officers and crew from all over pulled in last min to staff the ship in the wake of the emergency deployment. Because of this there was no set "uniform of the day plan" and not all the crew were operating in their current or normal billet.

3. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

There's an old ENTERPRISE INCIDENTS interview that really covers his whole career, and I'll see if I can find someplace that has links to it. I might have kept a couple pages in a binder. Try to check back in a day, but he talks about Trumbull, Abel ... everybody, really.

4. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I definitely like uniforms with a little more pop. But I think, respectfully, that the TWOK--on uniforms look better just in red.

5. Red Ranger

By that do you mean Saavik's original outfit, maroon jacket, red turtleneck, etc.? -- RR

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I absolutely cannot STAND the TWoK-TUC uniforms. YUCH!

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

On this we can agree

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, I disagree. Going by that photoshopped image above, the TWOK uniform jackets look much better in blue. I'd like to see an image where all the jackets are a rich navy blue, not just Spock's. (It doesn't make sense to have color-coding on the outer jackets when you've already got it on the undershirts.)

9. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

To each his own -- I think they look just damn classy, all in all.

Cheers,
    -CM-

10. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

I have never thought of them as my favorites, though I do like them, and I appreciate how well-thought out the whole scheme was - pins and so forth.

My main beef was that the uniforms felt so formal. I would have been happier if for this uniform set this was the Class A and there was a somewhat simpler Class B that everyone wore most of the time, combined with a variant of the cadet jumpsuits as a Class C.

Blue would have certainly been less aggressive. I don't see why they couldn't have kept the TOS scheme in TMP anyway and carried it on to TWoK.

11. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spock in the blue version looks like he's wearing the official Hanukkah uniform.

12. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

^A navy blue would be better for those uniforms. As much as I like the TWOK uniforms the way they are — and fully acknowledging their impracticality — I can't help but imagine the cast in that group shot Warped9 posted breaking into "The Lumberjack Song." :lol:

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Is that a problem? The Vulcan salute is actually based on a Jewish blessing.

14. Red Ranger

I tend to agree that the color-coding on the undershirts makes more sense, and is cheaper, too! -- RR

15. Praetor

The undershirt coding also has the advantage of being more specific and multi-colored while being very understated and avoiding making them look like a color guard.

How about a beige/off-white version of the monster maroon as a Class A?

16. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not at all! Personally, I feel a bit of pride knowing that Vulcan was colonized by one of the lost tribes of Israel. ;)

17. Colonel Midnight

Actually, having sat in on a Uniform Board (sounds wacky, but yes, at least in my service we have them... :lol:), there is a school of thought towards trying to make uniforms "more" formal than regular outfits.

It ties in with the whole "military is a way of life" notion. (Yes, I know, Starfleet isn't military! But the same argument applies.) Call it "way of life" or maybe "higher standard", but there's an underlying theme of making uniforms relatively uncomfortable... to remind you to stand tall and look good.

Hopefully that makes sense -- hard to explain.

Cheers,
    -CM-

18. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Just a minor point - why does Kirk have quarters with what I can only guess are his pictures on a refitted Enterprise? Or are we suppose to assume those are generic pictures and objects in the Captain's quarters?

19. Praetor

Your real world military experience is always useful and appreciated, CM. I actually quite understand what you're saying.

I can certainly see the notion of Starfleet uniforms not being quite pajamas comfortable - it just seems like there should definitely be 'degrees' of uniform discomfort. The maroon jacket to me should be the dress uniform and most uncomfortable. Something a little more of a compromise towards comfort, to me, would have made more sense for daily wear, in reflection of them being a 'not quite' military.

Hopefully that makes sense. ;)

20. Colonel Midnight

^ Yeap, no worries there.

A lot of those types of choices (or maybe compromises? :lol:) would fall prey to the characters/personalities on the board at that particular time.

Cheers,
    -CM-