A 'Shield' movie (the cop show, not the Marvel agency)?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by the G-man, Sep 23, 2012.

1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Chiklis was on "Geektime" this week, promoting his new CBS series, Vegas. The hosts started talking about the Shield finale and Chiklis said that show creator Shawn Ryan has a "brilliant idea" for a Vic Mackey movie. Now they just have to get the studio to greenlight it.

If they can make an Arrested Development movie this must happen.

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Oooooooh....

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was the series finale written as a true finale, or was it always expected that they'd follow up on it later with a film?

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

As insane as the show was and how over-the-top ridiculous I found it to be on occasions, I won't lie. I'd watch it.

5. the G-man

A true finale, but one that kept the possibility open, from what I understand. Back in 2010, Chiklis said:

• We wanted to give FX a satisfying conclusion, but at the same time, you have an incredible character in Vic Mackey, and I think Shawn and I agreed that there’s tremendous potential for him in terms of the big screen. Down the line, I could definitely see that happening.

6. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

This would work out about as well as Beverly Hills Buntz. Leave his future to our imagination anything else at this point would be disapointing.

7. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to agree, the show ended on a really strong note with Vic getting away with his misdeeds at the cost of everything he really cared about. I don't see a need for a movie to continue the story, it just seems like an attempt to cash-in on a successful show.

8. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

The finale was perfect and would most likely be ruined by a movie.

9. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would say his former partners could come back from jail to get revenge, but there really isn't anyone left to come back.

10. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If they say they have a "brilliant idea," I'm willing to see what that idea is... but I'm not exactly itching for new stories in that universe.

11. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

I really enjoyed the series and I enjoyed the characters but it ended well. everything tied up just right. but if they did it I'd see it

12. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Is The Shield that much different then the Wire.

13. the G-man

From what I've seen of the Wire, they are superficially similar but that's it, not unlike how the Wire is superficially similar to Homicide: Life on the Street.

14. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Shield and The Wire are entirely different types of shows. The Wire used police stories to frame a grander narrative about life in a modern American city, whereas The Shield is drama about corrupt cops and their struggles in balancing their greed and their genuine desire to make the city safer. The Shield stays pretty small-scale and focuses on the characters in a single police district, with a few small forays into politics. It's also a bit less grounded and more action-packed than The Wire, as well as being more episodic, but it tells some really great character stories and builds up to a superb finale that will stick with you for a long time.

15. the G-man

That's how I understood it, but you described it way better than I could have. Well done.

16. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

The only truly important similarity between The Wire and The Shield - and Homicide: Life on the Street, for that matter - is that they are each genuinely great shows.

17. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was genuinely confused when I read this at first, wondering if there was ANY demand, let alone talk, of continuing the story.

But then I saw I was confused and for some reason thought they were talking of a movie based on The Commish! :guffaw:

18. the G-man

I'm the G-man and I approve this message.

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure it would work. People want to see the Avengers, not a group of agents saving the day.

20. the G-man

That would've have almost been funny if not for the parenthetical title of the thread