MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

So ... your defense for the Yankees being idiots boils down to "no u?" [​IMG]

2. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

So, what the hell is wrong with that?

I've watched him more than you I'm sure. They can have him. The only post season he was worth his salt was in 09 when A=Rod went ape shit. He just tagged along.

He is not money.

Bull, he will never hit that again unless he does roids. His last time in the play-offs he was relegated to 7th in the line-up and eventually benched. He is a has been, and a self centered one at that. I've never liked him and never will. I was praying the Red Sox signed him in 2003.

Oh, and Vernon is just about playing for nothing. Only a Yankee because of the massive injuries last year. So why bring him up?

What is your team?

You don't know Cano, as apparent by your mind midget posts with regard to his play. I've watched damn near every game for 9 years and he was not close to worth what Seattle payed for him. Neither was Albert or Hamilton. Stupid contracts.

With his talent he should have hit 400 by now. With that swing he should be hitting 380 in the post season.

He's undisciplined and will never change.

He's lazy, doesn't run out balls to first.

His numbers will only decline.

Baseball isn't all about numbers, as demonstrated by the Red Sox this year. They had a good manager and a good clubhouse after the Dodgers bailed them out.

3. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

seems that way. And the Beckett deal wasn't terrible in itself, he was just being a shithead in the clubhouse. Turned out to be more terrible when he got hurt with the Dodgers.

Crawford - well, terrible in boston, at least. He turtled under pressure. Of course, had a better health history and production than the guy the Yankees just signed to a contract that was 10M MORE than the Crawford deal, and you love that one, so not sure how to argue that one with you.

How's Cano suddenly not worth the money? Yankees offered him the EXACT SAME money, just a couple less years. Presumably Cashman has seen at least as many games as you have, plus has access to his medical records and workouts. A week ago, you'd have gone on a rant about how much better than Pedroia he is, now he sucks, chokes, and was never a 'real' Yankee, despite having 9 years in pinstripes. :lol:

Either way, you had it right before. You're arguing from an extreme Yankee Fanboy perspective, so tough to find middle ground to have actual discussions. Everyone else sucks, Yankees are definitely going to win it all next year. Because of the pinstripes, not because of talent, or payroll, or the lack of rotation, bullpen, or 2B/3B players, or anyone actually alive and not geriatric at 1B or SS.

Honestly, the way you're acting here is a big part of why everyone hates the Yankees. Entitlement, you're the best no matter what, everyone will give you their star players for a bag of used balls. Yankees are hurting at the moment, and need time to rebuild. It's ok to say it.

4. Yanks

"no u"???

5. Yanks

I called the Beckett deal as horrible the day he signed it. Why? Because he IS a shit head and I knew he wasn't going to be squat after he got that fat contract.

I never understood the Crawford deal at all. Never saw what "Everyone else" saw in him.

Only fast, not good.

If you think Ells is not better thab Crawford, you know nothing about baseball.

I can have actual discussions and as I've said, I am a Yankees homer.

But when one does not see what I know to be true, and only goes by the numbers and Yankee hatered, we've got a problem.

But they won't accept that. It's not me, it's them.

I'd take a few "bad" years to build the farm system, but they wont.

Knowing that, they are doing what they can to build a contending team. I can't hate them for that like everyone else.

I think you ALL are underestimating the importance of Ells in that Boston line-up.

He stays healthy his the biggest grab in a decade.

We'll see what happens in the spring.

6. Timby

In the span of 24 - 48 hours, you've gone from saying you don't believe Project 189 isn't real to saying "what the hell is wrong with it?" Again, you aren't even attempting to argue from a position of anything resembling logic, but rather Yankees uber alles.

Cano's BA in the 2009 postseason: .188. In 2010's postseason: .340. If you're going to say he had a bad postseason, it helps to be accurate.

:lol:

The Red Sox traded Adrian Gonzalez & Company last year, in case you've forgotten. This year, they had unexpected performances from a couple of players (no one expected Daniel Nava to put up a 128 OPS+ out of nowhere), and statistically speaking, Koji Uehara had one of the greatest seasons by a reliever in major league history. What's that sound? Oh, right, it's the sound of numbers.

Basing decisions upon ideas like "I've watched him play," or "he's lazy because I've seen him on TV," or anything like that -- that's the kind of madness that has had teams like the Orioles and the Mariners be dumpster fires for ages (shit, Jack Z in Seattle still believes BA and RBI are the metrics on which to base a hitter's performance).

And exactly what evidence do you have that Cano's numbers are due to decline? Safeco has a reputation of being where hitters go to die, but park effects studies show it actually has a slight boost for left-handed power hitters.

You really don't have any sort of quantifiable leg to stand on, you just can't admit that the Yankees are making moves based on financial as opposed to on-field reasons. Like I said, it's almost like Stockholm Syndrome: "The Yankees only hurt me because they love me." You'd have an excellent career as a Boston Globe sportswriter if Dan Shaughnessy ever hangs it up.

It's been a rough offseason, one of the Yankees' own making because their owners don't want to pay luxury taxes anymore. It's OK to admit that instead of getting defensive and making excuses for dropping $198 million on Ellsbury and Beltran. Even the Yankees make bad calls.

Crawford: .292 / .332 / .439
    Ellsbury: .297 / .350 / .439

They are ridiculously comparable.

7. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

First off, your argument is flawed due to the simple fact that these are two completely different situations. The Dodgers-Red Sox deal was done because the Red Sox realized they had back themselves into a corner financially. The Dodgers came calling with essentially unlimited funds because they wanted Adrian Gonzalez, and taking Beckett and Crawford was the penalty for the Red Sox allowing that. You think that deal is made with just Beckett and Crawford? No way. It was made because the Dodgers wanted to acquire talent, and were willing to bite the bullet on those contracts. Hell Gonzalez wasn't really a bad deal, it looks like a steal compared to the deals Pujols and Fielder got.

The reason that the Dodgers would trade Kemp is because they want to build up their farm. They have unlimited funds so they are willing to eat a lot of money to receive quality prospects in return (at least as much as an injured Kemp can draw). So this isn't a situation where the Yankees can throw some mediocre talent out there and take on a bunch of salary. The salary part is covered by the Dodgers, which opens up the field to a lot of teams, teams with much better farms then the Yankees. A lot of times you see trades for big contract players go down with big market teams cause they can eat the salary. This isn't the case in this situation. Hell as Timby said, it looks like if anything the Red Sox could be in the drivers seat for that deal.

Listen the Red Sox were lucky the Dodgers came calling, but at least they were smart enough to recognize that it wasn't working, and that it was time to rebuild. Hell I'm sure if you put a gun to Cherington's head, he'd tell you they didn't expect to win the World Series this year, but they were gonna try. They wanted to build a flexible roster with enough talent to compete as a respectable team, but with enough leeway to free up spots for the young guys. It wasn't a roster with superstar talent, but a ton of depth and interchangeable parts, and that was huge in their win this year. It worked out better then they could have believed, and it's not like they were the 2006 Cardinals who got hot at the right time. They were the best team in the AL for essentially the whole year.

If the Yankees had signed Cano to a massive deal, I'm sure many people would have said wow thats a lot of money, but they had to do it. He was the best player their system had produced in a long time, and one of the few young pieces of talent that they had. The Ellsbury deal, and the Beltran deal (though that one doesn't make me scratch my head too much, he's a fine player) were putting bandaids on an issue that wasn't broken. Maybe they'll be able to build a better roster for next year with the money spread around, but for the years after that they are going to be hosed. Where is the talent coming from? Not from the farm. Are they going to just sign guys to massive deals to replace it?

I actually think Cashman is a decent GM, but do you REALLY think that these signings are coming from him? Do you really think he wants to build his team like this? This is coming from above him from the offices of Levine and Hal.

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

To be fair, Ellsbury's stats are slightly better than Crawford's there ;)

9. Yanks

You guys are all about the numbers.

Ells and Craws stats are simplar. More to my point.

If you think they are in any way equal in impact, then well....

10. Yanks

I said it isn't real? Really? I believe I've said that Cashman said that's the goal. Do I need to go back and quote?

i hope it isn't, but....

11. Yanks

Tanaka will post next week.

12. Timby

I rest my case.

According to Li'l Kenny Rosenthal, but Dylan Hernandez and others are very much disputing that translation of the Rakuten's president's comments (which were the basis of Rosenthal's report). Basically, where it looks like we're at is that Rakuten will try to convince Tanaka to stay long-term, and if he can't be convinced of that, they're going to decide whether they have a fiduciary responsible to post him now vs. trying to post him next season vs. keeping him for two seasons and risking free agency.

13. Alidar Jarok

Yanks, stop posting so many times in a row. It is against the rules. Use the multiquote button or copy and post the quotes into the same post and use the [ quote] [/ quote] (with the spaces) tags to differentiate.

14. Yanks

SUNDAY, 5:43pm: The posting system document has yet to be finalized, tweets Joel Sherman of the New York Post. Sherman adds, even when approved by NPB, the agreement still needs to be ratified by MLB's Executive Council, which could come this week. In a second tweet, Sherman reports the main points of the new posting deal have been settled with smaller items slowing things down.

SUNDAY, 3:15pm: Japanese teams will be able to set a desired amount for the posting fee up to a maximum of $20MM, reports Mainichi. Once the Japanese team sets the posting fee, it will be made public to all 30 MLB clubs and all teams who tender that figure will be able to negotiate with the player. The Mainichi report adds the new posting system is expected to go into effect as early as next week and will pave the way for Tanaka to be posted.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

15. Timby

That's regarding an agreement about the new posting system between MLB and NPB, not whether or not Rakuten will actually post Tanaka. The basic framework of the new posting system has been in place since September; MLB / NPB have simply been working out some of the fine details over the past few weeks. Whether or not a new posting system is ratified has jack-all to do with whether or not Tanaka will be posted, which is going to boil down to Rakuten's finances given that the team just won the Japan Series and very badly does not want to let Tanaka go. But if they decide that this is the best return they'll get for him, then they'll post him.

In any event, a new agreement is an entirely different matter from the posting decision.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Joe Torre elected to HOF - vote was unanimous.

17. Yanks

True, but because that money from any MLB team doesn't count towards the salary cap, the Yanks could make it every interesting.

One of my personal favorites. knew how to handle players and the always difficult NY media. I thought the Yankees treated him like crap at the end. He would make an outstanding MLB commissioner. Class act, not a bad ball player either in his day.

Break....

Now, here's an interesting question for you all....

Currently, the writers and HOF'ers are adamant that if your name is linked to PEDs, you're not getting in.

I don't know where I stand on this to be honest. It's easy to say "if you used, you're out". But MLB knew about this "abuse" and so did the managers.

So do you think they shouldn't be allowed in on the same criteria?

Right now, the only ones that are being punished are the players.

18. Timby

Along with Bobby Cox and Tony La Russa. I'm a little surprised that Marvin Miller didn't get in with the death boost, but I think I'm OK with that.

Now that the Veterans Committee has done its thing, now it's time to see what the chucklefucks at the BBWAA do. The first one to come out publicly is a surprisingly sensible one from Adam Rubin:

[​IMG]

Take off Morris and add Mussina, and I wouldn't be able to argue with any single one of those names.

Huh? The new posting fee is going to be a maximum of $20 million. That won't count towards the luxury tax, but any agreement a team reaches with a player is going to count against the payroll (and the luxury tax threshold). There's no way for an MLB team to make the posting process interesting anymore (which is why NPB has been fighting so hard against the new system).

The problem is that the BBWAA and the existing HOFers are being sanctimonious assholes about the "good old days" or whatever that never actually existed. As I said a few months ago:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  19. Yanks

I've always been a little aurprised that Morris isn't in yet. Of course I thought Jim Rice should have made it years ago.

The problem is that the BBWAA and the existing HOFers are being sanctimonious assholes about the "good old days" or whatever that never actually existed. As I said a few months ago:

Totally with you concerning Ray Lewis, hell he's on ESPN now!! (head slap)

Of course, the nation is forced to mourn the death of Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela ...

So you're in the court that performance and only performance should determine if you make it or not?

Like I said, I really don't know. But if someone has to be punished, then it most certainly shouldn't just be the players.

20. Alidar Jarok

Personally, I don't think criminal matters and sports matters should be conflated. People who commit crimes should be punished by the criminal justice system, but it should have no bearing on whether they should go to the Hall of Fame (Ty Cobb was an asshole, but his personality doesn't change that he's one of the greatest players ever). I personally think Barry Bonds should be in the Hall of Fame (he should be in based on his pre-steroid numbers alone), but whether he cheated in his sport is certainly relevant for deciding whether he should enter his Hall of Fame for his sport.

In other news, Doc Halladay signs a one day contract with the Blue Jays and retires. He had a great career. I think it's a shame he never one a World Series, though, the guy deserved one.

Story from a Phillies perspective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.