Is the Trek Nation Documentary fufilling?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by davidgreen9787, Oct 9, 2012.

1. davidgreen9787

davidgreen9787 Cadet Newbie

If you are a true Star Trek fan, than you need to watch Scott Colthorp's Trek Nation. Trek Nation is a documentary about Gene Roddenberry's son, Eugene "Rod" Roddenberry, going on a journey to discover who his father was (Gene died when he was 17 years old) through discussion with Rod's friends, family, work, and his worldwide influence. Trek Nation contains exclusive interviews with Star Trek actors, fans, NASA personnel, etc.

I really enjoyed the documentary because we get to see Partick Stewart, J.J. Abrams, and George Lucas talk about Roddenberry's influence on the world. The documentary can be found on iTunes. I hope you all enjoy it and please let me know what you think.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You shouldn't be linking to copy-righted material. A big no-no here.

I thought it sucked. A ninety-minute Rod Roddenberry pity party.

3. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I only caught the last 1/2 last night, but thought it was a HONEST documentary, not a pity party.

I really respect Rod Roddenberry for making it, and thought it had some good insight on the Trek Phenomenon.

4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ I agree. He clearly seemed to be a bit of a douche in his early years, but I think participating in this documentary was his genuine attempt to understand and make amends with his dad, posthumously. A noble endeavor, even if the message did come out sideways and sounding a little self-absorbed.

5. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

Well what with all the adultery......like father like son in the D-Bag department I guess.

The stand out question is what teen ISN'T a douche to their parents?

In fact I think the Gene came out looking VERY badly in this documentary and basically people sounded like they liked his ideas but not the person himself.

6. RXTT

RXTT Lieutenant Red Shirt

I enjoyed the documentary (It is available on Netflix), but it was more about Gene's son coming to grips with what his father created than being about Trek in general.

It was a bit slow, and a bit too much like watching a stranger's home movies.

7. Captain Verata

Captain Verata Lieutenant Red Shirt

I guess I am not a true Star Trek fan. I'm one of those fake fans who likes Star Trek a lot. :)

But seriously though this documentary sounds terrible.