Need help with getting a customized autograph -- suggestions needed!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by RapidNadion, Oct 7, 2008.

1. RapidNadion

RapidNadion Commander Red Shirt

Hey guys!

So I'm in a wedding in November and the bridge and groom, good friends of mine, are big Star Trek fans. I got the idea last night that I could maybe go to a convention between now and Nov. 1st (the wedding date) and ask one of the guests (anybody from TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY, really) for a customized autographed headshot or something -- you know "Good luck on your journey through marriage" or whatever ... something tacky like that. Thought it would be a great wedding gift!

Problem is, there are no conventions that I know of here in the northeast (between MA, where I live, and VA, the wedding location) within the next three weeks, and a Google search told me that mailing out requests for autographs can take up to 6 weeks, and you don't seem to be able to ask for customized writings.

Can anyone offer a suggestion or some help with this? It'd be much appreciated for this last-minute wedding gift shopper :)

Thanks everyone.

2. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Re: Need help with getting a customized autograph -- suggestions neede

I have no experience in this kind of thing, but you might check out their favorite actor(s)' webpages and mail it them for signatures. But seeing how you have only a few weeks to do this (unless you are willing to have them wait-it happens), perhaps you should go for one person or something like that.

3. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

...or you could always go the stalker route and camp outside an actor's home. I mean... since you haven't thought ahead so far...

NOTE TO SELF AND OTHERS: The best gifts are from the heart of the giver to the heart of the recipient(s). The more thought and effort one puts into the gift, the more it will be appreciated over time.

4. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Many of the actors personal websites will sell autographs, but the lead time varies. I'm fairly certain Robert Picardo, Tim Russ and Brent Spiner all have customized autographs on their site.

5. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Check out whether the actors you're interested in are doing anything else where you might catch them for an autograph, for example a theatre production. A long shot, I know, but it might work.

6. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

How about printing a picture off of one of the actors and fake signing it yourself.

How could they possibly know it's fake?

7. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

...and then later get a copy of the same picture with the real autograph... hilarity ensues as you get caught breaking into their home trying to switch pics. :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

8. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

The only Trek-related guests I've found in the next 3 weeks are Michael Berryman (Star Trek IV, cameo role) and Dwight Schultz (Barclay on TNG/Voyager). Neither is what you'd call a main cast member.

You could always try buying one directly from the actors' website. I know of George Takei, Grace Lee Whitney, and Tim Russ; they all offer personalized signed pix.

Nichelle Nichols has a site too, but I don't think it's legit. When I asked her about it, she seemed surprised to hear there even was one.

Actually, the more I look, the more I find. Let's just make this easy. Do your friends have favorite actors/characters? If so, google those actors' websites and look for their stores. Find out the cost and then use the contact info there to send an email. Ask if they will personalize that way and be able to ship it out in time for the wedding.

The sooner you do it, the better chances you have.

9. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

One other possibility you might consider: The gift for first anniversaries is paper... You'd have a whole year to get autographs (suggest Creation Vegas next August ... They sign dozens of actors representing a good cross-section of the franchise. If you can't make it, someone from here would be going and could get the autographs for you -- you might want to narrow the list because they will be neither free nor cheap).

10. V1701E

V1701E Cadet Newbie

Check out liveautographs.com

11. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Short of a convention, you're pretty screwed, lol. Where do you live?