Star Trek: Section 31: Disavowed - Dec. 2014?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Kertrats47, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I just checked my copy of The Good That Men Do because I was curious about the same thing, but the prologue and epilogue featuring Jake and Nog is only described as being set in "the early twenty-fifth century," without specifying a year. Also, it says that it hadn't been too long ago (before the time of Jake and Nog's meeting, that is) that Section 31 had finally been exposed; it didn't actually outright say that Section 31 had been defeated or disbanded. Jake hoped they had been rooted out once and for all, but I imagine Andy Mangels and Michael A. Martin left it ambiguous for a reason.

2. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Well it doesn't say that Section 31's agents were forced to stand trial for their actions?

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, this novel likely takes place no later than 2386 or so, meaning what was in The Good that Men Do is still at least 15-20 years away. Not really a priority for this book to handle.

4. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Unless we interpret the line in TGTMD as specifying S31 was exposed no earlier than the 25th century.

But exposing isn't the same as bringing down. S31 may survive the exposing in the 25th century (2409? :rommie:) or may have been crushed years before.

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Commander Red Shirt

6. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is it just me or does anybody else get a "The Prisoner" vibe from that cover? You know, the scene at the beginning where they're typing all the x's over McGoohan's file picture.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I believe the cover in question is a mockup that Dave created as a promotion, and I wouldn't be surprised if The Prisoner was one of his inspirations, although the title is evidently a Mission: Impossible nod.

8. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was intended by David as a placeholder, but I have to admit that I like the design as it is.

9. Enterprise1701

Wait, I thought in Silent weapons the Breen were trying to acquire a mirror Tzenkethi vessel that had a jaunt drive?

10. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

No, the Enterprise crew noted similarities to Tzenkethi wormhole tech in the derelict's engine design, but it was never expressly identified as a Tzenkethi ship.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ As for the ship in question, I thought it was supposed to be...

a Galactic Commonwealth ship from the MU. Weren't they the only ones who had that kind of technology? IIRC, Memory Omega got it for them by travelling to assorted parallel universes anyway.

12. Enterprise1701

Oh. Never thought of it that way.

So will Disavowed reveal anything on the progression of mirror universe history since the epilogue of Rise Like Lions in 2381?

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

You don't really expect him to answer that, do you? Read the book and find out. ;)

14. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

As it's been brought up, I was glad to see the Cold Equations reference to Tzenkethi artificial wormhole technology. That was a reasonably big development in Plagues of Night/Raise the Dawn, and I wouldn't want it to be one of those technological breakthroughs with interesting potential consequences that then disappear and are never used or mentioned again.

On that note, I'm equally glad that the thread of Memory Omega will be continued in Disavowed. Travel to and from the Mirror Universe was made so casual in the later seasons of DS9 that incursions are surely expected, and having the significance of the jaunt ships become central to a plot is very welcome. Then again, Mack is good at this sort of thing - I was impressed that Zero Sum Game made use of a captured Breen ship first mentioned in A Time to Kill, for instance - that's a minor continuity reference across about a decade, yes?

One of the reasons Mack is among my favourite Trek authors is that he knows how to use continuity well - detailed, building on what's come before in a natural, organic fashion that sells the idea that this all takes place in one universe, but incorporated so naturally that it doesn't detract from the current story. Unspoken links that carry ideas forward, bring multi-book arcs into play that are evident to committed readers but subtle enough not to trip more casual or sporadic readers. (One of the best examples is the Bacco scene in Zero Sum Game - as I've written elsewhere, it's clearly supposed to recall a similar Zife scene in A Time To Heal, yet it works perfectly whether you've read that scene or not).

Anyway, that's my babbling way of saying "I'm looking forward to seeing the Memory Omega arc's consequences continue through Disavowed".

Although, really, someone should just give the Breen advanced propulsion out of pity, before they bankrupt themselves. Eventually there'll just be a few crazy thots in a run-down room strewn with rubbish muttering violently about slipstream and transwarp while scribbling their plans onto little bits of paper.

15. Enterprise1701

I wonder if any Star Trek work will make use of Doug Drexler's suggestion that the Enterprise-J uses coaxial warp drive. Cause somehow we've got to get to the 29th century transwarp-capable temporal transporters' associated propulsion system.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

17. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

18. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm liking the new cover, especially how similar the final product is to the placeholder.

20. Enterprise1701

Awesome cover although I suppose it won't look as grand on an actual paperback book.

They put Bashir's birth date in day-month-year format. Yay!