Tron 3 is coming (and Garrett Hedlund is confirmed to come back)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mach5, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

http://www.slashfilm.com/garrett-hedlund-will-once-again-be-sam-flynn-in-tron-3/

This is happy news (at least for me). Tron Legacy may had not had the best of plots, but the visuals were mesmerizing, and the musical score was nothing short of superb (IMO).

Call me intrigued. :)

2. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Cool. No, it wasn't the best or most original movie, but it was beautiful to look at. At least once.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm excited. I enjoyed "Tron Legacy" a lot despite some of it's problems, and the possibility of Daft Punk scoring the sequel is exciting as well. I hope they touch upon some of the plots that the viral videos suggested. This has been one of my most anticipated sequels.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I just hope there's more of Bruce Boxleitner in both his roles.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I never saw the original Tron, but Legacy did a good job of introducing me to the universe. It wasn't amazing, but it was decent enough to see. I'm not opposed to another, but I admit I will probably end up waiting for a rental.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm liking the TRON: Uprising cartoon better than Legacy, even though I dislike its character designs. The show's writing is smarter than the movie's, and Tron himself is actually a regular character (voiced by Boxleitner).

7. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. Uprising is shorter, slicker and at times the writing is downright clever. Hoping they keep it going after the first year.

Mark

8. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It would be nice if they got Tron to say his catch phrase: "Do it again and do it better!"

If they need comedy, they can always CGI Elijah Wood's face on some stunt man as a Beck cameo.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The next question is are they ever going to get around to a sequel to that other early 80's early era CGI film "The Last Starfighter". No doubt they'll just remake it.

10. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I'm all for it!

11. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Fantastic. I thought Tron Legacy was excellent. Take my money, please.

12. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Amen. That's really my my only criticism of Tron: Legacy. Not nearly enough Bruce Boxleitner and barely any Tron.

Here's hoping Daft Punk returns. Their score is incredible.

I also hope they follow up the Dellinger Jr. set-up with Cillian Murphy.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I love Tron Legacy and I can't wait for the next one! :D

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The viral videos that were released would certainly suggest that Bruce will be back, along with Ram since it was revealed that he was behind the Flynn Lives campaign, and father and son Dillinger were shown texting to each other regarding Sam's emergence. I'm hoping that the new writer will follow up on these things.

15. Kaijima

Kaijima Captain Captain

The problem with lack of Tron in Tron Legacy basically boiled down to budget and time: only so much money and post production available to create one digitally de-aged character. Thus, the story of Flynn and Clu 2.0 had to take center stage. De-aged Boxleighter was seen only in grainy flashbacks, without the resolution required to show his face up close.

But in a recent interview, Bruce Boxleighter himself remarked that people should be patient; Tron Legacy was only one act of a larger story, and that the ultimate fate of Tron himself was going places in the arc the writers had planned out.

Now that the story of Flynn Sr. and Clu is wrapped up, Tron 3 would be wide open for the CG work required to place a restored Tron front and center as a starring character.

16. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I'm thrilled. The ending of Legacy pretty much cried out for a sequel.

I gues I'm kinda old school. CGI Balrogs are nice, but I much prefer glossy computer generated metallic surfaces and glowing colored lines.

17. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really hope the guys working on Tron 3 take a page from Uprising's book in terms of the aesthetic of the Grid, because the black-white-orange color scheme looks pretty lackluster compared to the more diverse color palette Uprising has.

I would not be offended if they gave characters cool powers like Tesler's extension doom arms.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Neither film is great -- the first is a fascinating failure, the second better, but not great. The best part of both films was Jeff Bridges, who, unless the writers jump through some serious hoops, won't be back for a third installment. That leaves me a little worried about the fate of part three, but I'm in wait-and-see mode.

19. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I would be surprised if Bridges does not return. He is a big draw of these films beyond core sci-fi fans.

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Is Olivia Wilde coming back? I only care if she's coming back. ;)