Best twitter client?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm kind of doing a 180 here - I have been thinking of jumping into the whole Twitter thing. I was wondering what is the most well thought of Twitter client among everyone here.

The ones I was looking at were:

- The stock Twitter app. It's free, and available for all my devices - iPad, iPhone, Mac OS X. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be able to sync across these devices (meaning, if I read a tweet on one of my devices, the other ones won't remember how much of it I've read).

- Twitteriffic. This is a bit pricey ($4.99 for the OS X app, and for the iPad/iPhone app if you don't want ads) but at least it can sync across all three via iCloud.

- Tweetbot. Unfortunately, NO OS X app at all (which is not exactly a dealbreaker, but it does suck). Is available for iPhone and iPad, but in separate versions (unlike the stock Twitter app and Twitteriffic which both have 'universal' ones) for $2.99 each.

So given this, I'm leaning towards Twitteriffic, but I just wanted to gauge opinions here too. Also, are there any other good Twitter clients that I haven't thought of? If so what are they?

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

If you're desperately needing syncing across multiple devices (honestly, it doesn't take that much effort to scroll to the last tweet you read -- I follow nearly 300 people and all I do in the morning is grab my phone, scroll down to the last tweet I saw before going to bed, and scroll up from there), Echofon will do the job -- it syncs across platforms. Free for ad-supported, I think it's $4.99 for ad-free.

For the best desktop client, I'd say it's TweetDeck (which is free, and now owned by Twitter).

I wouldn't spend money on any 3rd-party clients right now, though. Twitter has just instituted another tightening of its regulations for its API, which indicates another crackdown on third-party clients. Major third parties like HootSuite will likely still continue to have an API license, but Twitter's ecosystem is looking at a bit of an upheaval in the very near future. Tweetbot, Echofon, etc. -- Lord only knows where they'll be in two or three months.

3. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I use Twitter's own app on my iPad and my Android OS phone. On my desktop and on my MacBook Air, I use the Echofon add-on for Firefox.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Do you have to use your real name when signing up for a Twitter account?

5. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

As your username? no.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

^ No , I don't mean your handle (what goes after the @ sign), I meant do you have to actually give them your real name. Because your followers can see that too, can't they?

7. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

The bit your followers can see doesn't need to be your real name either.

I can't remember from the registration process whether at some point twitter needs your real name, but the profile doesn't need to contain it.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

okay, I've got a twitter account now...may take awhile before I find something worth tweeting, though, so I think I'll just follow others for the moment. :D

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012