JD's Comic Book Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Most of the Brand New Day stuff was pretty good. There was just SO MUCH of it--the book came out three times a month--I eventually got way behind and fell off. You shouldn't have that problem reading the collected editions.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that three times a month schedule was just too much. It made it very easy to drop the Spider-books after "One Last Day". Keeping up with Amazing Spider-Man would have meant dropping two other books that I was buying, and that wasn't going to happen.

Of course, double-shipping is SOP for Marvel these days.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I started Brand New Day last night. I'm 20 pages into and so far I am enjoying it a lot.
    I also decided I couldn't take it hearing about it any longer, and got the first digital collection of Saga on Comixology. And after flipping through it, I have to say to sex stuff in Chapter four is.... wow. I knew being a 17+ book it would pretty graphic, but I was not expecting that. It's not enough to ruin my anticipation for the book, it was just pretty shocking when I first flipped past it.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up ASM: Brand New Day Vol. 1.
    I rated it 4/5.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where is the best place to read Cinderella: From Fabletown with Love, and Peter & Max in the main Fables series?

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

What is the best jumping on point for Punisher?
    EDIT: What about for somebody who knows Green Arrow from the TV shows and movies, and wants to read his comics for the first time?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  7. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The best Green Arrow is Mike Grell's work from the 80's. Start with Green Arrow: The Long Bow Hunters. Then move on to his follow up ongoing series.

This isn't the young, rich GA of TV though. It's a 40-something Oliver who's long since lost his fortune.

8. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

1) Green Arrow/Green Lantern 76-89 - the historical Denny O'Neal and Neal Adams take on the character. Considered historically significant in comic book history.

2) Pick up the ongoing starting from Green Arrow 17 by Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino essentially a soft reboot of the character. Has some shared characters with the show, but mostly its own thing and deals with the secret history of the Green Arrow.

3) Green Arrow Year One. Another origin story. Diggle from the tv show I think is based on Hackett from this story.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool, thanks! I added GA: Year One and Long Bow Hunters to my wishlist.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep that is where Diggle originated from. Also I'd recommend Kevin Smith's Quiver as well.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll leave it at those two for now, but I'll keep Quiver in mind. I'm just trying not to fill up my wishlist with a million books from the same series/with the same character.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

<<Also I'd recommend Kevin Smith's Quiver as well. >>

That's what she said!!! :)

13. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, if you just want a couple standalone volumes, Green Arrow: Year One and The Longbow Hunters are the way to go.

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I assume you're asking cause your curious about the new ongoing? Each writers take seems to be largely self-contained. I'm not sure they ever explained how Castle escaped the undersea detention center after the Avengers caught him at the end of Rucka's War Zone mini-series wrap up to his main title. He just showed up in Thunderbolts, tied to a warehouse column.

I would read all of Rucka's 16 issue run + the War Zone 5-ish mini wrap up. The two-issue Trail of the Punisher was a good read as well by Marc Guggenheim, if brief. They should've just made it one prestige book for $7.99, felt kinda odd and standalone existing in a vacuum. Post War Zone mini and during Thunderbolts run where he's an ongoing team member. Taken as just a story it was a good read.

Edmonsdon's first issue, this week, was well done and has overtones of a more social Frank as seen in Mike Baron and Chuck Dixon's 90's run but still able to be violent as seen in Remender/Rucka run's but not slap stick silly as Ennis' 616 run was(his Max is another beast).

Get the new Punisher #1, issue #2 comes out in two weeks and issue #3 two weeks after that before going monthly. There is a somewhat surprising reveal at the end of issue #1. Someone(s) is trailing Frank, to what end and why?

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool, thanks for the info. I added the first Rucka volume to my wishlist. Just out of curriosity, where does the Frankencastle story I keep seeing references to fall into the character's history.

16. Captain Craig

I think the Ennis Max run was mid '00's then we go into....
    Matt Fractions Punisher War Journal with ties into Civil War(Punisher-Cap homage story) it then ends in the 20's I think.
    Enter
    The Frankncastle material starts at issue 11 of the Remender run. The Remender run started during Dark Reign and the first 1/2 dozen covers all were homage issues to prior famous Punisher covers. Osborn orders Dakken to kill Castle and this sequence of events leads to Morbius rebuilding a mortally wounded Castle into Franken-Castle. The title then has a name change to Franken-Castle while keeping the numbering, so #17 is the first of the retitled book. This is also where it's sales took a huge drop. I think Punisher fandom would've stayed with the book had the Franken-Castle story just been 6 issues. Remender has said that while writing that arc he decided he had more ideas while Frank was in this form. Franken-Castle ended at #21.

It's some zany stuff, it's out there but I'm also a fan of the Marvel Monsters who would appear so I enjoyed it knowing that at some point, somehow, someway Castle would be normalized(as much as you can normalize Frank Castle).

The Greg Rucka run began next.
    Guggenhiem two part mini, then Thunderbolts at the same time
    The Edmondson run just started this week.

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Rucka run is the best out of the more current stuff we've got. I really enjoyed "Punisher #1" and it's a brand new starting point too it seems.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the info. I think I'll just stick to the Rucka run for starters at least.

19. Captain Craig

You bet. I do think you'll enjoy the Rucka run.
    Since you had asked about "where in the order did things fit" I thought I'd give you at least back till early '00s for some frame of reference in relation to events etc. Sorry if I went overboard. :techman:

Enjoy!

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not at all, you told me exactly what I wanted to know.