Star Trek Le Juge (The French Frontier)

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Maurice, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I don't know if anyone's seen this before, but I just stumbled across this...

It's in French, with no subtitles, so if you don't speak French it's hard to follow, but worth scrubbing through to see how much they were able to do with no budget.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  2. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I had a brief look and it's good. My 30-years gone school French being just enough to keep me in the loop. More than anything I'm impressed by the quality of the bridge set.

3. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't say this is a no-budget production. That bridge is indeed beautiful, more than a no-budget production can afford. Having had four years of French and a Belgian girlfriend, I can understand it, and it's not a bad story. The acting is fine, and I wish they'd done more than just this single production.

As readers may remember, most of our cast is composed of students from Georgia Southwestern, Darton College, Albany State College, even Savannah College of Art and Design, as well as their professors. It's a delight to work with these folks! More fan films should take advantage of local colleges and universities.

4. Maurice

That bridge is pretty damned cardboard. Just look at the Captain's chair. ;)

5. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

I think it's perfectly charming.

6. Maurice

Agreed.

7. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

I am glad to hear that those of you who speak French found it enjoyable. I gave it a Headline at Star Trek Reviewed the day after it was released last month, but couldn't make any comment on it because I speak no French.

8. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My mother tongue is french Barbara, what would you need? I'll have time to properly look at it this weekend so I could give you a detailed synopsis or something...

9. Barbreader

Bixby, I have it in two places, my French Fan Film listing, http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/223.html (top of page) and school and church projects, http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/205.html (H). If you just gave me a paragraph (and the one in the French listing, ideally, would be in French) to describe it that would be great. If you want to express your opinion and are willing to sign it, I'll take a review of it and post it. BTW, I know I haven't fully updated the various pages for fan films that have subtitles, but if you know of any Star Trek Fan Films in French that AREN'T there, please let me know. The film was released over a month ago, so it's not in the current Headline anymore, and except for correcting links, (if that, I'm not that good even about doing that) I don't add to my listings of old Headlines. http://headlinesfromstartrek.blogspot.com/ . (I do keep the old headlines so that people who have been away a few months and want to see what's been released in the meanwhile can access them.)

10. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

It's not perfect but it was très magnifique!

11. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i had a quick look at it yesterday, not enough to really get all the nuances of the story, which I'll get in a second viewing.

After about 10 minutes watching, I finally realized this wasn't a French film, although it is IN french, but it was shot and staged in my hometown, Montréal Canada (this was confirmed when checking out Space Opera Society's website).

They seemed to riff on a few episodes, notably Empath. But all in all it was a pretty admirable effort.

Don't know if you want to modify the film is actually a north american-made production, Barbara.

big points to these kids for the exterior scènes, those took some Hutzpah...

12. Barbreader

My website organizes by language, not location. And I admit that Brazilian Portuguese and Portuguese from Portugal get one page. Likewise, French from Montreal and French from France. I'll note that it is Montreal French, which, if I'm not mistaken, is much more contaminated with English than French French. But it is not, by my standards, mislabeled. Thanks for the extra information.

With the exception of Kenyan English, I can, by listening carefully generally understand English not only from the UK, Canada, Australia, the US, and India, but also Belize, and most other former British colonies. I assume that people who speak French, likewise, can listen carefully and make out what the other person is saying. If I'm wrong, I'll still put them all on one page, but I'd like to label which is which. I admit I cannot understand Kenyan English.