Anyone planning a trip/vacation this summer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Gryffindorian, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I have plenty of ideas for a destination this summer - Cancun, Oahu, Orlando, etc. The only problem is, I would hate to travel alone but don't have anyone to go with me. In the past, I always invited a relative or two and paid for their expenses as a courtesy, but I don't think I could afford do that anymore, thus the dilemma. To me, it's always good to have a traveling companion around because (1) there's safety in numbers and (2) it doesn't get lonely.

What say you? Any holiday plans this summer? What's your experience traveling by yourself or with other people?

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well I would love to be ale to plan a holiday, I forsee two problems.

One I can't afford one, and two I can't afford one. Now I know that is technically one problem but I thought it was such a big one it was worth mentioning it twice. :p

3. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm going to Acadia National Park with my parents later this summer and hopefully to the New River Gorge for a long weekend with some climbing buddies.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Oh I agree it's better to have someone to share the experiance of a holiday with.

5. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

My parents are springing for a family trip to Europe, probably Germany and Austria. We're going at the beginning of August. I'm not planning any other trips because I want to save money, I need to figure out moving back before the end of July, and I anticipate taking at least one trip to England next year.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Remember when visitng the UK, plan for rain. :p

7. Kestra

That's okay, I like rain. I'd love to see Scotland and Wales while I'm there as well, but that's all a bit far off so I'm not going to plan it just yet.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well Scotland and Wales are only a few hours train journey away from London.

9. Kestra

I don't know if I'll be visiting London but yes, everything is so close by!

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well relatively close by, Travel between the major towns and cities is easy enough but if you want to get off the beaten track and see more of the country(countries) you need to get in a car.

11. RXTT

RXTT Lieutenant Red Shirt

I would love to take my wife to Las Vegas for the Trek con in early August, but we are planning on moving around that time! sucks!

12. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just got back from a two-week trip to England. I have family there so it's always a good excuse to go. Had a fantastic time.

No other concrete plans for summer as of yet. Might hit the beach for a long weekend in July. I'm starting to think about potentially going to a tropical island at some point towards the end of the summer, but that'll be hurricane season and it may not be the wisest decision.

13. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'm going home to Ottawa for almost three weeks this summer. Next big vacation will be a Disney cruise in January courtesy of my in-laws.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

As is my wont, I'm going on a baseball park binge (I'm trying to get them all seen). This July, I'm seeing the 'parks for the Mariners, Diamondbacks, Angels, Dodgers, Athletics, Giants, Padres and Pirates. (In September I'm taking my usual 2-week trip to New York City.)

Whenever possible I go alone because I like to have time to explore the city on my own. But sometimes I use Sports Travel & Tours. They are totally awesome, I highly recommend them. Main reason I'm using them this year is that some of the ballparks I'm going to (such as Angel Stadium and Dodger Stadium) have no mass transit access and no nearby hotels, and I refuse to waste my vacation time driving in an unfamiliar city.

The tour I'm taking is Dbacks/Angels/Dodgers/Giants; I'm adding on Mariners before it and Padres/Pirates after. This comes in handy because I will have plenty of time in Seattle to visit the Pike Place Fish Market and get hit in the head with a flying trout :lol: and also must see the first Starbucks ever built!

ST&T takes care of everything. They fly - or sometimes bus - you from city to city, they take care of your tickets, everything. Sometimes they even give you a tour of the city - on this trip I'm going on, they give bus tours of L.A. and San Francisco. Can't go wrong with that! The only thing they don't do is get you to the first city on the tour, and get you home from the last one. You have to do that yourself. But that's a minor nitpick...and totally understandable. Small price to pay!

I am confused about something though. Why the hell does it take TWELVE HOURS to take Amtrak from San Francisco to San Diego? They're only 500 miles apart! I love trains, so I wanted to take one from SF to SD (the tour ends in SF), but then they throw that in my face. Oh well, at least the flight only lasts an hour...

15. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Camping in Maine this August

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I do a trip to a family camp above Fresno every year but other than that, not really. If it's not Pittsburgh (Never been to PNC Park) New York (Have to go to NY in my lifetime and would like to see Citi Field, or Southern California (California Adventure and Cars Land), I don't entirely want to travel.

17. mari

mari Captain Captain

In less than 2 weeks, I'm going on my honeymoon. We're staying in Santa Monica, and I'm going to try to do as many touristy things as possible (without hauling ourselves out to Anaheim) while we're in the L.A. area. Other than that, I'm not sure, although friends in Maine keep offering to host us at their cabin on Moosehead Lake, so we may do that next summer.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

I am very excited for this trip I'm about to take. Especially for Dodger Stadium and AT&T Park - those are the ones I'm looking forward to the most. I'm glad I'm getting the Diamondbacks' park out of the way early - not exactly thrilled about being in Phoenix, AZ in the middle of #)(%* July, but hey, I made the bed, now I lie in it. :lol: (And fortunately, Chase Field has a roof!)

19. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

I just came back from one but if I have the funds again, NY.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

^ How did you like NYC, by the way? Did you enjoy Citi Field? (I sure do, I always love going there.)