STTNG vote to beat out Dr Who!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by nickleburn, Mar 27, 2013.

1. nickleburn

nickleburn Cadet Newbie

Don't know if any of you even know about iO9 but they do an annual March madness and this one is for best Sci-Fi series ever. Now they have STTNG going against Dr Who. I'd like to plead with you all that STTNG needs to beat them out and at least make it to the final round which is against the original Star Trek.

It should just take a second, no registration, only a quick click:
    http://io9.com/io9s-march-tv-madness-doctor-who-vs-star-trek-tng-458789938

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Dr Who's too campy for me, but I love the premise.

Is there a way to find an image of the bracket that's large enough to actually read the matchups?

3. nickleburn

nickleburn Cadet Newbie

Yeah, I wish they had it bigger. See if this works, you may have to do ctrl-(scroll wheel on your mouse) to zoom in:
    [​IMG]

4. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I think/hope that when the UK goes to sleep during the next hour or two all you North Americans will help TNG pull away and win :)

I am in the UK and have never watched Doctor Who so personally I cannot comment on the quality of that show. Between 1989-2005 Dr Who was forgotten about by the UK audience whereas Trek was going strong on TV for most of that period and as Trek left the screen Dr Who came back big in the UK.

5. nickleburn

nickleburn Cadet Newbie

You know, I didn't even think about that. Great point, it should help!

6. Flake

My thread was first but got locked for being second :p

Nevermind lets just win this vote.

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Some of those titles aren't even science fiction series.

8. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm a big TNG fan but Who is comfortably the better show - leaves TNG in the dust.

9. Flake

Blasphemy! No way !

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Yes, because farting aliens taking over the British government is so great...:p

11. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Judging Doctor Who on Russell T. Davies' hack work is like judging The Next Generation on Angel One or Shades of Grey.

Doctor Who comfortably beats any Star Trek show if taken as a whole. My life's main obsession.

12. Flake

Yes in your opinion Dr Who beats Trek but my opinion is the opposite and because I watched Trek as a young kid (no Dr Who around!) Trek is far superior to Dr Who :)

That said I do not wish to simply dismiss Dr Who and I respect that it may indeed be very good. Now my question is how do I watch the old Dr Who, which episodes do I choose etc is there a guide for a newbie somewhere?

13. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

Loved Dr Who as a kid. Unwatchable now, old and new.

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Dr Who has some great episodes but overall is a bit too nonsensical and silly at times. STNG is much better top to bottom, and the blurays simply blow the show away.

If a 25 year old show beats out the current "hot" scifi show it would be pretty impressive.

RAMA

15. VDCNI

You admit to never watching it so how would you know.

There is a Who sub forum on here - I'm sure people on there would have suggestions.

16. VDCNI

Even Who at a low point beats out rubbish like Code Of Honour.

NuWho is better than TNG though not by a long way - the classic series is ahead by a mile though.

17. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Voted. For TNG, of course. I enjoy NuWho, but not as much as TNG.

18. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd take TNG over New Who, as much as I love it. Episodes like The Inner Light, The Drumhead, Measure of a Man, Best of Both Worlds and Darmok stand above almost everything in New Who. I prefer Patrick Stewart to Eccleston, Tennant and Smith too. Would have been a GREAT Doctor.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  19. Flake

I know. What I am trying to say is that I was watching TNG from the age of 6 whereas Dr Who was simply not on TV anywhere and because I have grew up with Trek rather than Dr Who it doesn't matter how good Dr Who is... I would prefer Star Trek 110%

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

While STNG has episodes like Code of Honor, et al I can see in those episodes some good points and a good attempt being made, while Dr Who simply has a lot of groaners...episodes I switch off. There are lots of leaps in logic simply because the Dr is smarter than everyone. Anyway Dr Who won by about 5%.

RAMA