Marvel animation-- Avengers Assemble and Hulk: Agents of Smash

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Marvel announced the voice casts for their upcoming animated shows Avengers Assemble and Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. at NYCC.

The cast of Avengers Assemble...

The cast of Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H....

I think that casting Seth Green as Rick Jones is inspired, but would rather have "classic" Rick. Also-- mini "Buffy" reunion with Eliza Dushku playing Jen Walters.

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agents of S.M.A.S.H. sounds like a title a ten-year-old would come up with.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The recasting of the Avengers roles suggests that Assemble is not, as previously suggested, a continuation of Earth's Mightiest Heroes. That's unfortunate. And if they were going to recast everyone else, I wish they hadn't kept Tatasciore as Hulk. I'm not as impressed with him in the role as Marvel's execs are. I think Rick Wasserman (EMH's Thor) did a much better job as Hulk in the Planet Hulk movie.

Eliza Dushku is an interesting choice for She-Hulk, but I don't know if the show will interest me.

4. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

It does suggest that its in continuity with Ultimate Spider-Man though, since it using the same voice actors as the guest starting Avengers in USM.

5. Christopher

Not necessarily, since Marvel often uses the same actors across multiple continuities. Pasdar first played Iron Man in the English dub of the anime IM series from Madhouse, which certainly isn't in the same continuity as USM. And Tatasciore is Hulk in both EMH and USM; he's their default Hulk in virtually everything except Planet Hulk, just like Steve Blum is their default Wolverine. (Except in the Madhouse Wolverine series, where his English-dub voice was Pasdar's Heroes co-star Milo Ventimiglia.)

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like those casts. I hope we get footage soon.

7. Hartzilla2007

Yeah but, its not one or two here its all of the Avengers that are featured in both that share voice actors, plus the character designs are similar.

8. Christopher

^Maybe, but nothing's proven yet. Then again, since the Man of Action team is producing the show, that suggests it very well could be in the USM universe. Which is a shame, since USM has turned out to be a disappointing show.

9. Hartzilla2007

I, think that while its still not as good as Spectacular it has gotten at least a little better in the last few episodes.

Interestingly enough during which outside of the guest hero Spider-Man has been practically operating solo.

10. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

I've been enjoying the current Avengers: EMH (even though my DVR refers to it as "Avengers: Heroes!"). It's a shame they are going to end it to start all over.

Nothing about the "Hulk SMASH" show interests me except for Paul Dini being involved. That alone will get me to watch. I must be a little out of the loop though with Marvel, since I've never heard of A-Bomb (but I do know all the others). Can anyone tell me who he is?

11. Christopher

I hadn't heard of him either, but Wikipedia says A-Bomb is Rick Jones, who was transformed into an Abomination-like creature in 2008 by the Leader and MODOK. I guess it's the trend now to turn all long-standing Hulk cast members into Hulk-like creatures themselves, since Gen. Ross is now Red Hulk and Betty is Red She-Hulk.

12. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

Betty is Red She-Hulk? Ugh, I guess everybody is getting powers these days.

13. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wasn't there supposed to be another Iron Man series at some point - to replace Iron Man: Armored Adventures? I really enjoyed IMAA (though I seem to be in the minority) and would love to have another standalone series.

I'm aware that there's another IM anime coming out (And I also liked the first series), but I was thinking / hoping that a domestic series featuring a growed-up Tony would be somewhere in the pipe...

Mark

14. Christopher

Not that I know of. Apparently there's still talk about a possible third season for IMAA.

15. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

She-Hulk is my second favorite superhero after DC's Captain Marvel, so I'm excited for the hulk cartoon. That said, I HATED Eliza Dushku on Buffy, and i've never seen her in anything else, so it sucks that she's voicing she-hulk. Hopefully she doesn't suck at voice acting.

I still think having a new Avengers cartoon is stupid. why not just continue with the first one? I'm also not a big fan of the roster (I get it, Marvel had a successful movie, but you don't need to modifiy every version of the avengers to fit with the movie). Having the Falcon over Hank Pym/Wasp is....weird, especially with ant man getting a movie apparently.

16. Christopher

I think Dushku is a very good actress, and she was good as the voice of Catwoman in Batman: Year One.

The impression I get is that it's because of a change in leadership at Marvel Animation, with Jeph Loeb taking over production of the shows and deciding he wanted to go in a different direction creatively. This is what happens when new people take over a company -- they have their own ideas they want to pursue and so they set aside their predecessors' ideas.

Well, including the Falcon makes sense because it's an all-white roster otherwise -- same reason EMH brought in Black Panther pretty quickly and the Ultimate universe made Fury black and Wasp Asian. What annoys me is that they don't seem to have any interest in including more than one woman on the team.

17. kirk55555

I get why they put falcon in, but why not Black Panther? Or War Machine? I wish they'd put someone cool on the team who isn't very well known, maybe Mar-Vell or Photon (who would fill the diversity thing, and add another woman to the team). I liked the roster of the other cartoon, and I think I'm going to miss an Avengers show not having Black Panther, Hank Pym or Miss Marvel.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

They probably put Falcon in to build up some familiarity for him before he makes his film debut in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

19. kirk55555

I hope he doesn't debut in that. They need to focus on Winter Soldier. They don't need a Hawkman rip off there just for diversity. He would be such a stupid live action character. I've enjoyed him in the comics, I could like him in cartoons (although there are others I'd prefer in his spot) but in live action he'd just be in the way.

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

He's already been confirmed for the movie, to be played by Anthony Mackey. I wouldn't worry, though. I'm sure the majority of the focus will be on Cap and Winter Soldier. But Falcon is an important member of Captain America's cast of characters. He's basically Steve Rogers' best friend in the modern world, so it wouldn't really make a lot of sense for him not to show up.