Cannonising the Kelvin

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Pegasus, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

To be honest, I'm not sure what the topic is, but it looks almost like something which belongs more in Trek Art than here.

However, this:

I don't think we can consider correct. What causes you to believe that the Kelvin had any part whatsoever in the Earth-Romulan War or that it even existed at that time? That conflict would have to predate the events involving the Kelvin (in this movie) by something like seventy years.

(I've also converted your images to links to avoid page-stretching. See the policy concerning image size here.)

2. Pegasus

Pegasus Lieutenant Red Shirt

It was in the interviews with Orci arond the time the first USS Kelvin, she is said to have been part of the Earth-Romulan War. And if it wasn't it doesn't matter, I'll just delete a setence fro the class description.

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

When we first saw mention of the Kelvin, the word was that it was
    Nothing I've seen indicates that it's anywhere near old enough to have figured in the Earth-Romulan War.

Which leaves us with the other question: what is this thread actually about? Is it about ship design? Is it about the artwork in the images? If it's simply about the ship becoming canon, that's easy: it's in the movie, and is canon on that basis already.

4. Pegasus

This thread is about mine, and Kenneth Thomson Jr's effort to make the Kelvin in TOS canon.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Its on the screen and is produced by the owners of Star Trek. That's all canon is.

6. Plain Simple

Plain Simple Commodore Commodore

For something to be TOS canon, shouldn't it have been on screen in TOS? (At least, I suppose you mean by TOS canon something like 'canon if you only take The Original Series (so the '66-'69 television series) into account and not all the series and movies that came after it'). And since it wasn't in there (I think), it isn't. There's hardly anything that can be done about that now by anyone except the owners of the Star Trek franchise is there? After all, only their word decides what 'official canon' is and to the best of my knowledge (but I might be wrong here) their word for the moment is that 'on screen = canon (with the exception of TAS), off screen = not canon'.

And who is Kenneth Thomson Jr.?

7. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command Rear Admiral

You keep talking about canon, but also mentioning what fanfics the ship appears in and so forth. This thread is not making any sense to me so far, man. Kelvin is already canon because it's in the movie.

8. THE CHEBB

THE CHEBB Captain Captain

9. Plain Simple

Those what?

I think I now get sort of what you're trying to do. You're not trying to make it canon (since you cannot, unless you're one of the franchise owners), you're trying to fanfic it into a form and shape which fits more with what we saw in TOS. Some modern form of model building? Anyway, what are the rules for this game?

10. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Wrong, being on screen makes it canon, this is not open for discussion, it's a fact.

There's the Kelvin! But it doesn't really matter, name 4 canon ships that had an andorian captain. Let me: There are none! But that doesn't mean that there are no andorian captains in starfleet and that an andorian captain, who might show up in the future needs to be "canonised" by fans.

It is canonised, because it appears in the movie.

Yes, but only because they were on screen, not because they appeared in fanfics or fanart.

Nothing of this is official and has no place in a discussion about canon.:rolleyes: Who is Ken Thompson Jr. anyway and why should anyone give a rat's ass that he agrees with you?

11. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The NX-01 Enterprise
    The NX-02 Columbia
    The NX-01-A Dauntless
    The NCC-0514 Kelvin

There you go... four canon ships with a zero preceeding the registry.

The USS Kelvin's registry number is 0514. It is FACT, on screen, and therefore canon. Your drawings mean nothing.

Get over it.

12. Cky

Cky Captain Captain

I know it's nothing to do with anything etc, and nothing to do with canon. But isn't there a 1 nacelle ship in the Star Trek: Legacy game?

13. Plain Simple

Kpnuts, I think what the OP meant is that he tried to tweak designs and registry numbers and what not, so that they fit in better (to his taste and apparently that of mr. Thomson or Thompson) with the designs etc. shown in TOS, so with TOS-only canon so to speak. Not the canon of the whole franchise, but only of the '66-'69 series. I don't think he's in a position to add something to that canon, since you'd probably need real world time travel yourself to add something to the TOS '66-'69 canon, but he's free of course to make designs that he likes in the style of TOS.

At least, that's my interpretation of this puzzling post (the first time I read it I had no idea what it was about), but I'm sure the OP will correct me if I'm wrong here.

14. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yawn...

Canon is what is onscreen.
    The Kelvin with a 0 (ZERO) in the registry will be onscreen in May and therefore it is canon.
    Now get over it .

/thread

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  15. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love the audacity here, that what we see on screen and is sanctioned by Paramount and the creators isn't canon, but that someone's lone fantasies *are* canon. Oh, the hubris!

16. Pegasus

I didn't say it wasn't canon for the alernate timnline in which this set.

Cannon ship with an Andorian captain: The Warshp Kumari!
    Oh yeah and all the other Andorians ship seen in Enterprise. Well over 4 pal!

And there is no NCC - 0 registry in TOS is there?

Simplified:
    Three timelines:
    1. Star Trek Chronology Book,and TOS.
    2. Prime First Contact/ TCW/Enterprise Alternate Timeline. The one we saw in Enterprise, that simply wet into TOS.
    3. Second First Contact/TCW/ Enterprise Alternate Timeline. Enterprise to Star Trek XI.

17. blaXXer

blaXXer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wuv' ya! :D

18. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But as mentioned before, there is a Zero-registry in Enterprise, and it seems that there will be some small details in Abrams' Trek that will bridge Enterprise with TOS, ie the mural of the NX-01 and references to "Admiral" Archer. If we're talking about canon, then that means there would be some precedence from ENT to TOS, even if it's a retcon.

For that matter, the only major starship class we see in TOS is the Constitution class, but does that automatically mean there were no other major classes back then? I think not.

19. blaXXer

blaXXer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

attenshun whoar, much?

20. Shatterhand

Shatterhand Lieutenant Red Shirt

I really don't get why we agonize over "canon" or "non-canon", anyway. It seems to me that people who want to accept the Kelvin and its registry number will, and those who refuse to accept it won't. People waving their fists in the air and saying "It's in the movie so it's canon" are wasting their breath because those who don't accept it just won't, no matter who tells them to. Hell, Gene Roddenberry could come back from the dead this minute, post to these boards and say, "I officially endorse the U.S.S. Kelvin and its registry number with the zero in front of it" and someone will still grumble and moan, "But, Mr. Roddenberry!!!!!"

I really believe that people who absolutely refuse to accept this movie as established Trek canon (and I'm sorry to say that I know a few of them) should just call a "Highlander 2" on it; in other words, pretend it doesn't exist. Go see it at least (to show your support for the franchise), but when you walk out, just laugh to yourself in amusement, say" Oh, J.J., you fiend! Nice try, but no sale", and be on your way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.