American Horror Story - Coven

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gryffindorian, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Gah I had no idea there was a thread going in about AHS: Coven. :D I am completely in love with this season. Well, all of the seasons.

I could have done without the new axman addition though.

I am enjoying Fiona's character. I like that I can't quite tell how evil or good she truly is yet. She will do whatever it takes (including murder) to remain the Supreme yet does random deeds and acts of kindness for strangers and seems very loyal to her daughter (for now anyway). Either way I am completely in love with her character. As much as I loved Lange as Sister Jude I think this season's incarnation is my favorite yet.

2. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

My theory is that she will not be the next supreme and that she was murdered under false pretenses. But as you know with this show we have no idea. :lol:

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I don't think the Axeman was literally a manifestation of the Devil. He just said he was in a grandiose fashion.

The world is full of homicidal maniacs who think they're God or the Devil . . . .

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  4. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the clarification. I thought he was speaking literally in the sense of being the devil incarnate, and yet he never seemed to display any supernatural abilities.

It looks like Fiona has found herself a boyfriend. :)

5. Greg Cox

No problem. I can see the potential for confusion, giving that last season the Devil did show up in person . . . in the form of Sister Mary Satan.

But, no, I think the Axeman was just a serial killer with delusions of grandeur . . .

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

7. Gryffindorian

I’ve been afraid of changing ‘cause I
    I built my life around you
    But time makes you bolder, even children get older
    and I’m getting older too
    I’m getting older tooooo

8. Gryffindorian

Not a bad episode on Wednesday, although it started out pretty slow.

Zoe is such a dumb witch. At first she wanted to kill Frankenkyle and somehow f*cked it up when he grabbed hold of the gun. When Kyle tried to shoot himself, dumb Chloe changed her mind and let him live. :lol: And now she's in a menage a trois with him and Madison, so all's good. :D

Alas, poor Spalding. We hardly knew you.

Looks like Delphine got her comeuppance when Queenie betrayed her to Marie Laveau. On a side note, I must say Angela Bassett is one helluva beautiful woman.

So what the hell is the Axeman? He said he's been watching over Fiona since she was a young girl. So that means there's something supernatural about him, and he's just too damned irresistible for Fiona.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  9. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My take on Axeman is that he was a serial killer that was killed by the coven in 1919(?) and has since been a ghost in the coven house. I think this ties into the first season idea that if you die in a house, the house becomes a prison for your ghost. After the girls tapped into his presence with the ouija board and promised him release, magical mumbo jumbo with the witches somehow cast him into a physical form.

And he certainly has been watching Fiona since she was a young girl...as a ghost voyeur that lends a hand on occasion, like him pushing the shelf over on the bully girl. Being irresistible to Fiona, I think, comes from him seeing beneath her sharp, manipulative exterior and seeing the woman in private moments and in younger (and in her mind, better) days.

Fiona's arc this season has been all about preserving her power, vitality and appearance -- at all cost. In the Axeman, she's found someone that doesn't judge her, remembers how she looked in her prime, and, most importantly, is just as big a monster as herself. He would be a difficult prospect for her to reject at his point in her life.

10. Greg Cox

Exactly, he didn't start out as as supernatural entity. He was just a notorious, real-life serial killer. But his ghost was haunting the school until Zoe somehow "released" him back out into the world . . . .

FYI: some info on the historical Axeman, who was indeed a real person:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axeman_of_New_Orleans

11. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^I had no idea he was real. That letter they reprint at the link is creepy as hell.

12. Enterprise is Great

It's a testament to the acting of Kathy Bates that I felt sorry for her being betrayed by Queenie and being turned over to Angela Bassett's character to be tortured. She's a horribly despicable person but I still felt for her. Still she's so was so vile she does deserve a little payback.

13. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree on all thoughts.

14. Gryffindorian

Thanks, this makes perfect sense to me now. As mentioned earlier, he was not literally the personification of the devil; he just referred to himself as that. But it didn't occur to me that his spirit was "trapped" at Ms. Robichaux's Academy all those decades until, of course, Zoe released him.

15. Enterprise is Great

16. Gryffindorian

Excellent episode tonight, though I remember reading massive spoilers about it in Entertainment Weekly (e.g., the Sacred Taking, La Laurie's head in a box, etc.). ;)

The opening, including the first 15 minutes, felt like pages from a graphic novel. Queenie walking in a dark alley, Cordelia and her students plotting Fiona's fate, Misty's arrival. The dialogue, the lighting, everything was so catchy. :) Hmm, maybe it's always been like that.

But anyway, the plan to overthrow the reigning Supreme apparently failed, thanks to Spalding's ghost telling Fiona she had been duped. Jessica Lange deserves another Emmy for this season, said to be her final.

17. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

18. Gryffindorian

^ Thanks. I just remembered she did say one more season and that's it.

I didn't get the enema scene until the second viewing. I was too distracted by the guy's abs! :lol:

19. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Heck, even I was distracted...

:lol:

:techman:

20. Enterprise is Great

The Ajax enema made my ass hurt. That dude's mom is a psycho-bitch to the max.