The next Batman reboot

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Nerdius Maximus, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Nerdius Maximus

Nerdius Maximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When the Nolan films run out of steam(ie, when he quits doing them and they bring in other directors and fuck everything up again) and they once again reboot the series, I think it would be really cool to have it set in 1939. The animated series kind of had that look, but in a modern setting, and it worked really well. It'd be awesome to see a "period" Batman film. And I know they'd never do this, it's just wishful thinking, but what would be even cooler is if they did it in black and white, in a film noir kind of style. You know, similar to Sin City. A really dark, moody B&W Batman set in the time that the comic debuted, that's my dream Batman movie.

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd actually like the opposite, a Batman Beyond futuristic take on it. Maybe a fourth movie introducing Robin and then in 10 years they continue with robin becoming The Batman.

3. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Why reboot at all?

4. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

If Nolan keeps doing stories like this I would like him to make Batman movies for as long as he can direct. Even if it means changing some of the actors. His stories in the 2 Batman movies so far are amazing.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Because Warner Bros. likes making money.

It would be neat to see a Batman movie as a period piece, or maybe do something like the Gotham of BTAS, but they'll most likely keep it set in the contemporary era.

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

He has already said his next is his last and I don't see him changing his mind.

7. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll be shocked if he does any more than the trilogy. In fact, I expect there to be some closure to The Dark Knight Rises—Nolan is telling a story, not spinning out a franchise indefinitely.

And I'm fine with that. That's how comics work best, really. Someone else will eventually come along and make their own version of Batman, and we can only hope that it'll be as good.

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Nolan has even said in interviews that intends to provide closure in the third film.

9. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Closure...

And what might THAT mean? The death of Dick Grayson's parents and Bruce taking him in, then everything fades to black?

Bruce gives up being Batman? Wayne Manor's rebuild is finally complete and he's back in the real bat-cave?

Tom Welling appears in tights and cape and says "I think we'd work well together"?

10. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

Unless he kills of Batman, you can always make a sequel to a Batman film. He didn't even kill of Joker in the last one because he probably intended on having him back in this one. Heath Ledger's death obviously didn't allow that.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Nolan can't keep doing Batman movies forever. It's time for new directors to take over.

They just need to remember to never make another Batman and Robin.

12. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that'd be the antithesis of everything Nolan's been working toward. :lol:

13. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Based on what the films have done so far, my guess would be Bruce Wayne hanging up the cowl, because Gotham no longer needs Batman. But I'm also not making the movie, so I could very well be wrong.

14. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i want a series which uses Robin and brings in Batgirl without fucking it up.

15. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

I'd love a period piece. Maybe not explicitly a period piece, but a live action version of the Animated Series would make me so happy. As great as the Nolan movies are, Bruce Timm's version will always be the definitive Batman for me. I have no shame saying that I bought that series on DVD when it came out and I still will occasionally dig it out for a re-watch.

16. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally, I would rather see a period JSA movie (maybe along the lines of The Liberty Files series of several years ago) rather than a contemporary JLA movie. There's no reason why a JSA movie couldn't have Batman.

I'd also think about an adaptation (or a riff on) Gotham by Gaslight, to take advantage of the whole steampunk bubble before it bursts.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Fuck Robin! All the live action moves he has been in has sucked. Batman works better on his own.

18. ColeMercury

ColeMercury Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have a hunch that when they do eventually re-reboot Batman, they'll re-introduce some of the more fantastical stuff from the comics/cartoons/whatever. The Nolanverse is all about "realism", so I reckon they'll want to go against that in order to distinguish themselves from what came before. Much like Batman Begins used "realism" to distinguish itself from, um, neon and Bat-nipples.

Of course, it all depends on how well the post-Nolan movies do. I do think they'll bring in other directors to continue the Nolanverse without Nolan (it's too much of a money-maker to let go) but if the first post-Nolan film is an utter failure then they may decide to do something more drastic, like a film adaption of "The Dark Knight Returns" or something.

19. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

We can hope, yes.

I don't even really want to think about it right now. I'm happy just enjoying the version of Batman we're getting right now.

20. issreliant

issreliant Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is one of the best ideas for a batman movie ever, they would never do it, but it would be awesome to see!!!!!!!!!