IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by serenitytrek1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Kchunda

Kchunda Commander Red Shirt

A bunch of twists - including a
    shocking death!

2. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Thank you! I've been waiting for what felt like ages to finally read the Gorn story.

I'm intrigued by the extragalactic Gorn Armada (wonder how a meeting with the native Gorn Hegemony would go) but skipped the game because of its limitations.

Gorn! :drool:

4. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IDW has been releasing the digital collected versions late for the entire series.

5. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just read the latest issue. Really big thumbs up for the 4 issue format. The story has multiple layers and various plot threads, built up from earlier issues, that could be resolved in a number of ways. I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far. Shame to see one recurring character (possibly) die though. It would also have been cool if the commander of the Romulan vessel had been either the Mark Lenard version from Balance of Terror or the female commander from TOS.

Looking forward to the final part.

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

With other readers usually calling out, "Show us something new!" :devil:

7. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

L'nar = mark LeNARd :vulcan:

The naming homage reminds me of a Romulan character called Manard who appeared in a German novel series.

8. Pauln6

Oh I dunno, I've yet to notice anybody complain about them using pre-existing TOS characters in cameos. Complainers have been more focused on the plot. If the four part story finishes with Kirk talking a computer into self-destructing then I expect to see some complaints.

Death... by snoo snoo!

9. Therin of Andor

But there has been a call for "Give us something new", both before and after the return of Khan. Not to mention all those issues that wee remakes of TOS episodes.

The problem is that any guest TOS character IDW does use from the Prime Universe will probably end up clashing with future movies if they choose to use that character, or it suggests that Orci has no plans to use that character (ie. Gary Mitchell, Robert April, T'Pring).

10. Pauln6

Lol - yeah - Khan was something of an exception. I understand what you're saying though. There's re-imaging an old story, there's telling a new story using a pre-existing TOS character as the focus, and then there's a new story that happens to feature a pre-existing character as a cameo.

Kor, for example, was not necessary for this story but his inclusion adds a dimension for fans that might not be there if he were random Klingon 3. I suppose the same can be said for Zahra, although she was something of a 'blink and you'll miss her' yeoman with about two lines originally, I'm still pleased that they've kept her around.

You might be right about future movies and in T'Pau's case I'm fairly sure that's why she's been left out. With most TOS characters, I think we can be confident that nobody has dibs on them.

I really hope that they don't place that burden on Chapel and Rand though. The producers seem rather disdainful of Chapel as a character so I'm really rooting for her to guest in a comic or two, even if she goes back out to the rim to leave her there for NuTrek3. Janice's recent absence in the comics is also disappointing but if a bun-headed blonde serves Kirk coffee in a frame or two, that might be enough to keep me going, even if I'd rather see her elevated back up to support status. Alternating Rand and Zahra seemed like a good compromise (until one of them bites the dust) but as a Yeoman, I am happy for Rand to be seen assisting Kirk in admin tasks. She could be a standard part of his diplomatic team, with or without a phaser.

Having said all that, I think I'd prefer to see them work at giving Chekov a bit more to say and do. He still wandering aimlessly without a niche.

11. British Khan

British Khan Ensign Red Shirt

I'm hoping a future story involves Andor.

12. Pauln6

:bolian:

13. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

isn't ongoing 28 supposed to get released tomorrow?

14. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

According to comiclist.com, the Star Trek Annual 2013 (a.k.a., the John Byrne photo comic) is available tomorrow. Next week, the new trade printing of Who Killed Captain Kirk? is released.

Looks like no new issue of Star Trek ongoing until at least Christmas Eve (so far).*

*I should note, however, that IDW frequently drops and/or adds titles to the shipping manifest with little notice, week to week. Star Trek #28 could very well be released next Wednesday, but it may not be confirmed until as late as next Monday. :shrug:

15. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

well i gotta tell you i got a bad feeling about this.

16. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

well TFAW.com has the release date for Issue 28 as 12/18/13.

17. Therin of Andor

And it's great! A Photonovel in comic book form, essentially a sequel to the Mandala/Bantam Photonovel of "Where No Man Has Gone Before". Love the supporting articles, too!

18. Sto-Vo-Kory

I thought Byrne did a great job on this, too. The text piece on Fumetti comics was interesting but the highlight of the book, for me, was the surprise cameo at the end of the story.

Commodore Number One! Nicely tying this Annual into Byrne's other Trek comics and continuity.

Hopefully the promo at the end is authentic and not just a bit of fun. I would welcome another photo-novel by Byrne, especially one that plays in the Mirrorverse.

19. sulfur

sulfur Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

He has been showing his work at his forums on a second Photo-comic, hopefully coming mid-2014.

20. Sto-Vo-Kory

Ah, thanks for the info. Happy to know it's real and coming soon-ish.