Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Dec 4, 2013.

1. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

She sells that fight choreography like a boss, it's true.

2. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

The five-pointed star is used very widely around the world.

Flags which use the five-pointed star include the European Union, Algeria, Chile, China, New Zealand, North Korea, Turkey, it's even on the Esperanto flag.

Also, it's been used as a symbol of the Soviet Union (usually in red, known as the Red Star), as well as in the Ottoman Empire, the Druze, the Bahá'í faith, the Order of the Eastern Star,

It's most probably derived from the Pentagram, which has been used as early as the Babylonians, to whom it was an important religious symbol.

It's also been used, and here comes the WW connection, by Pythagoreanism, a cult/movement founded on the principals of ancient Greek mathematician and philosopher Pythagoras (you probably remember the Pythagoras theorem from school). Their philosophy was based on a harmony in the universe, nature, mankind and the individual itself.

The fact that the five-pointed star has been used as both a symbol of military strength and ideals of harmony actually make it the perfect symbol to wear as a peace-loving Amazon warrior.

3. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

A very erudite contribution, but no, Wonder Woman doesn't wear stars as a nod to Pythagoreanism.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

A squared + B squared = C squared.

Or you can see him weekly on Atlantis side by side with Hercules.

The Stars on New Zealand and Australian flags are directions.

Our addresses.

For in case if we get lost.

Now we know how to get home.

Just like in Stargate.

5. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    It was also used as a symbol for Venus, the morning star, who was the patron deity of Marston's Amazons. This site has a neat demonstration of the pentagram stuff with Venus. It's the sort of thing occultists and astrologers love, not to mention Dan Brown. https://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/AstronNotes/Earth-Venus.htm

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  7. Guy Gardener

Why would a country with no men worship a love goddess?

Sure, you say lesbians now, but you go back 70 years and most "ordinary" people were not allowed to know what that is.

8. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's not that mysterious. WW was sent to "Man's World" as an ambassador. To reflect this they dressed her in the colors of that world's most powerful nation.

9. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't that pretty much the opposite of what an ambassador is supposed to do?

10. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Found this clip on Youtube. I have to say I like Gal's accent. I'm an American and i like the idea of WW having an exotic sounding voice.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHYIc2jmQo8[/yt]

Also there has been a firestorm of criticism on tumblr and other sites about the casting. Specifically that the former MMA fighter Gina Carano turned actress (seen in the above clip with opposite Gadot) not being cast as WW. A quick YouTube search and you can pull up a number of her fights. She tough and very talented fighter. Carano was also the inspiration for the character Korra in the Avatar series.

Looking at her photos and at her fight videos. She does resemble what people imagine WW should look like in comparison to Gadot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Gadot is a better actress than Carano. While Carano was okay in her largely dialogue-free role under Soderbergh's direction in Haywire, her acting and screen presence were poor in Fast & Furious 6.

12. AgentCoop

They're Amazon warriors. All they know is killin' and armored bustiers. Diplomacy's not their strong suit.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

They're on an island cut off from the world for two thousand years, who's there to be diplomatic with?

14. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Bullshit. That was never the Amazons of Marston, or the rebooted world made by Perez. The current Amazons fit that, perhaps, but that is because the powers that be have decided to follow in a more Xena-like version of the Amazons which imagines them as the Greeks did, militant, man-hating and war happy. In short, a misogynistic vision of a world of women who are not docile and submissive.

15. AgentCoop

^You do know what sarcasm is, right?

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know what it is, but I couldn't tell that the remark in question was intended to be sarcastic, even with the eye dialect of the dropped g:
    On the contrary, a completely plausible reading of the statement is that the dropped g is intended to imply that Amazons just revel in the bloodlust.

17. Guy Gardener

We need to ask the mods for a special font for sarcasm.

18. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been wishing for something like this, for years!

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah that is definitely a pretty cute video. Not sure why she's only wearing a bra, but I'm not gonna complain about it. :)

20. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I think she did it while on break during a modeling shoot for an lingerie company.