Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Very cool. I didn't see, did it say anything about a release date?

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  3. Admiral_Young

I'm really enjoying the heck out of "The Incredible Hulk". At first I thought it was going to be another Planet Hulk type of story but it is turning into a psychological character study of both Hulk and Banner. How they are both dealing without the other. Hulk seems to be dealing with things better than Bruce who has gone all Dr. Moreau and obsessive. I think that eventually that the obvious will happen and the two of them will realize they both need each other. I am also liking this Amanda Von Doom a whole lot too.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I was originally going to wait for the TPB on Hulk but with Alpha Flight and Ghost Rider ending have decided to keep getting the book.

Hulk #3 continues the idea of Banner vs Hulk and the end of the issue lets us know it's coming to a head by next issue. We also get a sneak peek as to the process that separated out the two. The Who is still in shadow but I'm glad that started with the explanation. I'm also taking a liking to Commander Von Doom, be curious to see how her character evolves during the future issues.

5. Admiral_Young

Looks like we're getting an comic book adaptation for "The Amazing Spider-Man" but no creative team has been announced.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/22/covers/

6. Captain Craig

Thunderbolts #167
    The journey through time continues...backward. Having teamed up with the Invaders in WWII they jumped back again. A portion of the Thunderbolt squad has just posed as Jack the Ripper being stuck in 1800 London now they've traveled even further back. The Black Knight is on the horizon with a tale in Camelot it seems.
    I'm hoping for an update on my boy Man-Thing back in the present day but enjoying Satana's part with the team for now.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I really loved the first year of Heroic Age Thunderbolts, the team and the art, but ever since Fear Itself, they jettisoned all the good characters and now it's a bunch of people I don't care about, and I don't really like the whole time travel thing.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was thinking about getting into Avengers, but I was wondering if it would be better to start off with the last 30ish issues of the pre-Dissassembled series, or if I should just jump right into the New/Might Avengers stuff?

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I would start with Dis-Assembled, as where that's where the current Brian Michael Bendis era starts.

Honestly, I'd lead off and go into Civil War off in this order...

Avengers: Dis-Assembled!
    Secret War
    Young Avengers: Sidekicks*
    Captain America:Winter Soldier 1&2*
    New Avengers vol 1: Breakout
    New Avengers vol 2: Sentry
    Young Avengers: Family Matters*
    New Avengers vol 3: Secrets and Lies
    House of M
    Captain America: Red Menace 1&2*
    New Avengers vol 4: The Collective
    Civil War**

* Not required but HIGHLY recommended.
    **Would you be interested in the myriad tie-ins or just the main story?

There are probably others that other posters might recommend, but this is limited to what I own.

Get back to us once you get this far, and we can go into post CW reading order. :)

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool thanks. Yeah, I plan on at least reading stuff with Captain America, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Hulk, Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, the Fantastic Four, and the X-Men. So I'm up for pretty much anything involving those characters. Oh, and this is just a wish list, not a definite thing. There are some others I'm mildly interested in are Nova, Silver Surfer, Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, Guardians of the Galaxy, and The Runaways.
    EDIT: Forgot about Thor in my list of stuff I plan on reading.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  11. Captain Craig

JD what era are you looking at for those characters you listed?
    Past decade or 80s through now?

For good solo or Silver Surfer-centric stories you need to hit the 90's. His solo title has The Herald Ordeal which is a great read. As are the Infinity War events. Danny Ketch Ghost Rider in the 90's, up through about issue 50 is good material. Moon Knight is fairly good up through about issue 40/45 if memory serves in the early 90's.
    For Nova you're going to have to read New Warriors. He hadn't yet regained a solo book in the 90's after having one in the 70's. I don't think you go wrong with the first 25 issues of that for sure.
    Guardians of the Galaxy 90's really doesn't resemble the one Marvel has tossed at us currently. Some overtures but it's different. I really loved the first 25+ issues of that as well.
    Runaways I don't know.
    Thor in the 90's was a mess. I dropped it, the art got bad and the stories very bizarre...even for Thor.

This decade though both the long running Ghost Rider (36 issues) and Moon Knight (30 issues) were both good imo. I even liked the shorter lived Vengeance of MK (10issues + Shadowland 3ish-mini) but admit some thought it uneven.
    For Thor start with the JMS material when he brought Thor back after Dissasembled in 2007. The title then goes back to the old numbering for an issue #600 gala.
    Surfer hasn't really had much. He had a recent mini but it was nothing to say 'must read'.
    I've not read any of Nova but understand his part in the Annihilation War was crucial and a good character piece. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm using Comixology, and most of what they have is stuff from the past decade or so, so I'm pretty much sticking within that time frame. Unless I really love some of the stuff I read and decide I want to get some older stuff that's not digital yet. They do have few some of the characters' first few appearances, and some older stories like Age of Apocalypse, the Dark Phoenix Saga, and maybe one or two others, but other than that they don't have much from before 1998.

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

JD, do you get everything thru Comixology? Marvel.com is having a post X-Mas sale on much of what Captain Craig and I just recommended to you. 99 cents per issue! :eek:

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I saw that, but I decided to hold off for now. I have a ton of novels, and Star Wars and Buff comic trades that I wanted to get through before I buy anything more. But, I definitely will use you're list when I start buying stuff again. So thanks for the help.

15. Admiral_Young

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I find Bryan Hitch to be highly over-rated, personally. I don't get it. The Ultimates I & II don't look that good.

17. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hopefully no-one will be stupid enough to put Hitch on a monthly book.

18. Captain Craig

Read Alpha Flight #7

The art in the book is really good and finally the story has kicked up.
    They sure did showcase Heather in a red bikini quite nicely in the book. Not used to that with her character. Amped her sexy factor.
    Wolverine shows up, finally after being teased at issue 4.
    I've not been wowed by the book as hoped. Feel this arc was too padded and that may be due to having been tied up in Fear Itself for the first 4 issues. Maybe the book could've had a tighter opening arc and started to explore the characters back in the MCU. I think they mishandled AF's intro back from the dead and fully assembled.

19. Admiral_Young

Being a Canadian I find the plot of Alpha Flight absolutely stupid. Politicians and politics in the Marvel Universe don't really seem to be portrayed as being very competent. After all this is the same universe who's version of Barack appointed Norman Osborn head of National Security! :) Yeah I'm kind of glad this incarnation of AF is cancelled. Or will be soon.

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually Obama didn't make him head of SHIELD/HAMMER. That was the previous guy.

Obama just thought Osborn was alright after the stunt Osborn pulled with the Blunderbolts.