So what characters do you think have changed the most?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Charles Phipps, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

An interesting question given the Novelverse has gone on a pretty long time.

Which characters have 'evolved' in your opinion to someone entirely new.

I'd love to hear.

:borg:

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Picard is close to completing his journey.

He is married to the woman the show set up as then resisted using as his probable romantic interest and he has overcome his dislike of children via Wesley.

His priorities have changed - he has allowed himself to be conflicted in his career by his relationship with Beverly and he has become a father. He is now considering leaving Starfleet for his families sake.

I'd say that's change...

3. Charles Phipps

Good call. In a very real way, Picard realized he's not ONLY a starship Captain. He's made the transition Kirk couldn't. It also seems possible the Borg and Dominion War "ruined" being a Captain for him.

4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Other Characters that have changed a lot Benjamin Sisko and Kassidy yates certainly have in the last few typhon pact novels .Also Will Riker Riker&Deanna Troi and the struggle to have their daughter that certainly changed their characters priorities.

5. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

I don't know that they ruined being a captain so much as they helped him redefine his priorities. He's realized that his career isn't everything and that there are other things in a person's life that can be worthwhile. I agree that he's a more complete character than Kirk at this point: Kirk could never let go of the Enterprise, the biggest reason why he was never able to settle down and have a normal life. I suppose he was never meant for that sort of thing, but it would have been nice to see him finally find peace somewhere else besides a command chair.

--Sran

6. Khan Harrison

Khan Harrison Ensign

I heard an interview with David mack that he had written the perfect death for Jean Luc Picard but that it will never see the light of day. I kind of wish we will see the end of his journey. i don't want Admiral or Ambassador Picard.

7. Captain Clark Terrell

^I wouldn't mind it as long as Riker doesn't tell him to shut up.

--Sran

8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I will have to disagree there - with the loss of Spock, Treklit has an opening for a senior statesman/ambassador... Picard would be fantastic !

9. Captain Clark Terrell

I'd vote for Odo. He's older, and he's a Changeling.

--Sran

10. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Chakotay.

End of thread.

11. Charles Phipps

I always felt that was an interesting element to Star Trek 1, 2, 3, and 4. That Captain Kirk, yes, is still worthwhile a Starship Captain (and may be why Picard is able to continue operating one well into his seventies) who was "kicked upstairs" way too soon and may have been a lousy Starfleet Chief of Operations--it still was treated him as being grossly immature in places. Seeing the Peter Principle in play for Captain Kirk, of all things, is darkly humorous.

Having Picard deliberately not go that route works for me and helps further contrast the already distinct Captains.

Maybe he can throw it in one of his books using time travel or a vision of the future.

I actually think Admiral Picard would be better than in Kirk's case. Then again, I think Kirk would have been fine if Starfleet had "mobile Admirals" commanding the fleet "in the field." Sadly, Starfleet just wasn't large enough for that way back when.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, he's gone through some pretty dramatic changes in Kirsten MF Beyer's Voyager novels. And Seven has gone through some pretty big changes in those same novels too.

13. Captain Clark Terrell

Interesting you should say that, because I think that's what his position was supposed to be, in theory. The novels paint the picture of Kirk being offered something of a troubleshooter position that's within the admiralty but still allows enough action that someone like Kirk could be satisfied. In reality, the position turned out to be him flying a desk for two years while Enterprise was in drydock.

Later, he was commandant of Starfleet Academy, which he probably took because it let him work with Spock and McCoy. By the time TWOK rolled around, he was going through a sort of midlife crisis and didn't think he was capable of commanding a ship any longer, but Spock and McCoy convinced him that it was what was best for him.

As an aside, I don't think Kirk was incompetent as an admiral. Recall that Marrow called him his "best officer," which I'm sure speaks at least somewhat to his performance as a flag officer. He just didn't like it and was clearly better suited for field duty. In the end, the decision to demote him as "punishment" for disobeying orders was the right move, one that I'm sure Starfleet never regretted.

--Sran

14. REDrake

REDrake Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'd say Ezri Dax, but as she's a Dax it means she's bound to change. Anyone who read The Lives of Dax knows this.

So I'll have to settle for T'Pol. From being a royal pain to actually establishing a family with a human to vulcan transspecies convert.:cool:

15. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

This. Very much this.

16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Geordi -

He has developed from Chief Engineer of the 1701D and via many adventures has ended up, er, Chief Engineer of the 1701E...

17. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd have to go with Ezri myself. She basically got completely reinvented in the novels. I'm still not completely sold on her just suddenly "clicking" and becoming one with symbiont and being nothing like the character we saw in season 7, though from a dramatic standpoint I can understand how constraining it would be to have a main character be a less than effectual counselor with multiple issues of her own, the main of which was living in Jadzia's shadow.

18. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Kira has changed a lot - she defied the Bajoran religious leaders in "Avatar" and was excommunicated, joined Starfleet as a Captain in "Unity" and then left Starfleet to become a novice, later becoming a Vedek.

19. Khan Harrison

Khan Harrison Ensign

...and Kai... :devil:

20. Captain Clark Terrell

Depending on which timeline you believe.

--Sran