The Map of the 'Verse

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ptrope, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Wow! They've actually researched and compiled a detailed (and very attractive ;)) map of the " 'Verse", as they often referred to the universe in Firefly and Serenity. Apparently, they're going to also use this model of the 'verse in the Serenity RPG. One of the things I find interesting is that they have modeled a multiple-star system, which would go a long way to explaining how there could be so many habitable planets and moons in one system; good to see that there is an actual 'Blue Sun' :D.

Shiny!:techman:

2. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Well dammit. And I just got done reorganizing EVN Firefly to use a multi-star system with completely different star names.....not to mention I put the blue star at the center.

The question is, should I go an change it now?

3. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Depends on how much you want to conform, Browncoat ... :D

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That's pretty hardcore. I kind of want a poster.

5. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

emits low whistle in admiration

That is one shiny piece of mappin'! And a poster would definitely be nice!!

6. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I love maps--especially star maps--of fictional universes.

My favorite is this one, for Homeworld.

7. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Holy Crap, Batman! What a project that must have been! Beautiful end result.

8. Neroon

Something about that project tells me it was pulled off by people who really love their work, and/or really love "Firefly". It's very striking.

And it's on my Christmas wish list. :angel:

9. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

I am takin' a likin' to a whole multi-star system, with planets 'round each star, kinda makes no real needing for extreme high falootin' FTL type veloc'ties.

10. Bishbot

Bishbot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Would that work? I'm no physicist so it seemed plausible to me, but I've asked physics students and they seemed to doubt it would be possible.

11. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

"That" what? A multiple-star system? Can't think of a good reason why not - Jupiter is not all that far removed from becoming a star, and it's been in orbit around Sol for quite some time, plus it has moons that are the size of solar planets. It's just a matter of orbits vs. gravity, basically. The Map does a great job of resolving the issues of how so many worlds could be terraformed if they were all in one system, since distance from their primary is a very touchy item when it comes to maintaining an environment, and keeping them in one system also negates the need for FTL drives and explains why, in some cases, it takes weeks rather than days to get to a world.

And it's just so very shiny! :D

12. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

That is a great map. Wow! I would have loved to have one of those about five years ago.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Would it work? Assuming all the planets and stars had the right mass and the orbits and gravity were where they needed to be, SURE!

It's just very lucky that the humans who left Earth-that-was found such a conveniently large system!

14. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

RoJoHen, I have to say that your avatar is really really freaking me out.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There are many multiple-star systems in the galaxy, some with as many as six or even eight stars, but something with that many stars in that configuration seems unlikely. Instead of one central star with the others in concentric orbits around it, you'd more likely have nested sets of pairs. For instance, Castor A and B orbit a common center of mass, but each of them is in turn a binary star, so you have an orbiting pair of orbiting pairs -- and that system in turn is being orbited by the Castor C binary pair at a much greater distance.

What would make more sense would be if you had a White Sun/Blue Sun pair and a Georgia/Kalidasa pair orbiting a common center of mass (since binary pairs tend to be of similar or identical spectral types), with a couple of red suns circling them further out. As it is, the orbital configuration and the relative positions of the stars make no sense -- and if those planetary orbits are shown to scale, they make even less sense. The gravity of the nearby stars would perturb those planets right out of their orbits. Indeed, the gravitational interaction of all those stars would probably prevent any planets from forming at all, even if there were enough material left over from their formation to make any planets out of.

Then there's the simple fact that there is no such star system known to exist within any reasonable distance of Earth. There doesn't seem to be FTL drive in the 'Verse, so the new system would have to be within maybe a hundred light-years or so, and there's no system like this within that distance.

So it's a very cool map, and a very imaginative exercise, but it's a fantasy construct.

16. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

I also love maps, and this one is beautiful. Wish they had large-sized images online. Guess you gotta buy it.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Kitty will eat your soul!

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Argh! Needs more high-res! :scream:

Guess I'll just have to buy the gorram thing. :p

19. Neroon

What are you, some kinda Alliance spy? :wtf:

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I know it's been a while since I last watched Firefly, but I don't recall noticing any of the planets having more that a single sun. I mean I'm no astrophysicist, but I would've thought that if the stars are really that close then surely at least some of the neighbouring stars would be visible from a given planet, even during that day. Unless of course they just happened to be eclipsed by the local star, gas giant, moon or was only visible from the other side of the planet during every episode where they touched down. ;)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008