Which episodes do you watch for the "B" stories

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by MHT1138, Jun 5, 2011.

1. MHT1138

MHT1138 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The one that immediately comes to mind for me is "Force of Nature" The "A" story about warp drive causing environmental damage in space is boring and kind've ludicrous, but the "B" story, with Data and Spot, I love. I will absolutely watch this episode for the "B" story

2. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While the A story is pretty strong, it's the B plot in "The Enemy" that really left an impression on me. The conclusion to that story is basically one of if not the most surprising ending in TNG.

3. MHT1138

The "B" story is good in "The Enemy" A lot of people say how much it resonates with them. I am a Geordi fan so I prefer the "A" story.

4. MHT1138

The "B" story is good in "The Enemy" A lot of people say how much it resonates with them. I am a Geordie fan so I prefer the "A" story.

Sorry I didn't mean to double post :(

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  5. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Could you do me, and probably many others a favor? Describe the B plots, please...pretty please. I remember the A plot in the episodes above but not the B plots.

I'd expect the same for the upcoming posts as well :)

6. MHT1138

The "B" story involves Data trying to train Spot. It's only 2 or 3 scenes, but they are the only reason I watch this episode.

7. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Captain Captain

The Icarus Factor: I don't dislike the Kyle Riker story, but the anniversary of Worf's Rite of Ascension is where the meat and taters are in this episode. It clearly shows how the senior crew has formed a close circle of friends within one and a half year.

8. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

I think most people like Family for Picard's story, but I watch it for Worf's, which could be considered the B story. Seeing Worf with his adoptive parents makes me laugh every time.

9. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Chain of Command. The Picard story is great, but it got old after a few viewings.
    I love the little nuances with Jellico. Ronnie Cox really nailed that part.

10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been trying to think of good "B" story episodes, and the one that comes to mind that hasn't been mentioned was "The Best of Both Worlds". Yeah the Picard/Borg story is great, but over repeated viewings, I've really liked the small touches to the Riker/Shelby story, almost to the point where I wished Shelby returned.

11. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm a big fan of Ronny Cox, & the Jellico B plot in 'Chain of Command' too. Still relish that A plot a bit more though. Warner & Stewart are just too outstanding

Let's see, Data's exploration of Poetry, in 'Schisms' is a rather enjoyable addition to what was otherwise a dark & creepy kind of episode

In The Next Phase, you can consider Geordi & Ro's dilemma the A plot, which made everyone else's reactions & the planning of the funeral the B plot, which was a more interesting aspect

Data's first command in 'Redemption' stands out, amongst what was otherwise a whole lot more of TNG's usual Klingon development

Oh, and the Picard Doppelganger B plot in 'Allegiance' was a lot of fun

And finally, this is maybe the only situation I can say this, as I'm a huge Data fan, but as much as I like Data's featured 'A' plot in Thine Own Self, I did also really enjoy Troi's B plot, about becoming a bridge commander, perhaps more, because it's one of the best things they ever did for her character. That being the case, it somewhat out shined Data's little amnestic jaunt through the dark ages

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

"Thine Own Self" is the episode that immediately comes to mind. In the course of a single B-story, Ronald D. Moore does more with the Troi character than almost anyone had done with her over the course of seven seasons.

"Birthright" might be another contender (though it might be a bit of a stretch to label this a B-story; it's more like the first part has competing A-stories). I like the Worf-story, probably more than most people, but the B-story (only in the first part) is a great character piece for Data, and the dream imagery is very cool.

13. Captain Martin

Captain Martin Lieutenant Red Shirt

Lower decks comes to mind because the B story is sort of the A story and vise-versa. In a regular episode the A story would have been about getting the cardasian back to his own territory and the B story would have been about alyssa and her friends ... but they totally turned it around backwards in this episode and that is why it is in my top 10 favorites. Very creative :)

14. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Actually, Lower Decks has five stories, the main four are the issues each of the junior officers are going though, and the fifth is what the senior staff are up to meanwhile

15. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I far prefer the 'Crusher in command' B-plot of Descent Part 2. The A-plot is all about Lore and ignores the idea of the Borg redefining themselves, and frankly, I do not like Lore. He spends all his time 'mua-ha-ha-ing' rather than doing things. At least Crusher's plot gives her an interesting and unusual story.

16. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I prefer the B story to Inner Light. I really enjoy the tension as the crew tries to keep Picard alive on the floor of the bridge.

17. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Booby Trap (not just because the title uses the word "booby") where the B-story of Geordie's holodeck relationship with Leah Brahms is so finely done, but doesn't eclipse the A-story of extracting the ship from the trap it finds itself in.