FLASH series being developed for The CW

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Because in the comics Wolverine is a 6'2" good-looking Australian song and dance man. :guffaw:

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Whether any one person thinks an actor is a good choice based on what they look like is still completely irrelevant, because they don't make TV for only one person. When they're casting an actor for a role, they don't go "Hmm, let's pick out one guy on the Internet and base our decision on what he thinks the character should look like." No -- they pick whoever they feel will be the best actor for the role in terms of talent, personality, reliability, chemistry with the rest of the cast, availability, affordability, and so forth. Appearance is certainly one consideration, but they'd be idiots to make it their overriding concern.

And really, why is anyone surprised that a new Arrow cast member doesn't resemble his comics counterpart? Katie Cassidy doesn't look a damn thing like the comics' Dinah Laurel Lance. Emily Bett Rickards bears no resemblance to the original Felicity Smoak. Manu Bennett doesn't resemble Slade Wilson aside from having a similar beard. Seth Gabel doesn't remotely resemble Count Vertigo. Michael Rowe doesn't look much like Floyd Lawton. Colton Haynes doesn't share Roy Harper's hair color. Even Stephen Amell bears only a mild resemblance to Oliver Queen. Really, to date, the only prominent characters I can think of who've looked much like their comics counterparts have been Moira, Huntress, and China White.

3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

To me its not so much his looks as what he's done so far. I don't know if being on Glee translates well to being The Flash :lol: He doesn't have to look that much like the comics version, but he should look like someone you'd accept as a legitimate superhero, this guy looks like a pretty boy from various stupid tV shows (which pretty much is the kind of actor he seems to be). Barry is usually a more serious kind of superhero. This guy looks like he'll be defeated by Mirror master because he'll be too busy adjusting his hair in MM's mirrors :rommie:

That said, he could be a surprise. Maybe they'll make him look more like an actual forensic scientist and he'll turn out to be a good actor. I hope thats the case, and I'm more than ready to give Arrow the benefit of the doubt. I just won't be super surprised if he fails at being a good Flash.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

What does an actual forensic scientist look like? I imagine they're as varied in looks as any other profession. Some might even be "pretty boys". For that matter, other than having blond hair, what does Barry Allen look like? Every artist will draw him differently. He doesn't have a specific chin, nose or ear type. Even his build will vary from artist to artist. In comics he's basically a decently built male with blond hair.

I've only seen this actor on Glee. He was good on that, but was playing a villain. He convinced me the character was a manipulative jerk who wasn't above cheating to win. Since I'd like to think he's not that way in real life I'll assume it was acting. Looks wise he reminds me of a young Kevin Bacon. Not traditional leading man looks, but attractive in an off beat way.

5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I haven't been watching Arrow, but don't these CW shows typically skew towards a very young demographic? Obviously they're going to cast him very young. They might call him Barry, but he'll probably be channeling some Wally.

I was horrified to hear that they'd cast Chris Evans as Captain America, and that turned out pretty awesome, so I'll give this guy a chance....

When does the new season start, anyway?

6. Christopher

I wouldn't say very young. They're generally aimed at teens and young adults, but I'd say Arrow skews somewhat older than the typical CW show, since only a couple of its characters are supposed to be teenagers and most of them range from their upper 20s to around 50.

October 9.

7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

^When you're 43, that's very young. :p

8. Christopher

^I'm 45, and I don't consider it very young.

9. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Dont mind the actor at all but am reserving my angst for the costume they put him in. I just cant see the speed force version being used and being old school at 48 would love to see the old costume in the ring idea brought back. Wont happen but I would like it.

10. Christopher

None of this show's costumes have been direct copies of any comics costume, so it's likely they'll invent their own look for the Flash. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they give Barry a more sedate costume for his Arrow appearances, one that fits the tone of the show, and then have him "upgrade" to something fancier in the spinoff if that gets off the ground.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Right, because actors' only ever do one type of TV shows. Nobody's ever gone from a goofy comedy to a serious drama, or from a teen series to an action series.
    :rolleyes:

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

13. kirk55555

And every one who has done that was awesome, right? ;) I'm sorry, but Glee is not a show that you should expect good actors to come from. Its not impossible, but his work to date combined with his age and how he looks he's definately not someone I have a lot of confidence in when it comes to playing Barry.

I'm not saying its not possible for him to be good, I'm saying every image I've seen of him makes him look like a stupid pretty boy and I can't imagine him being a guy who works with forensics. I want to be proven wrong, and I'll watch his arrow episodes with an open mind, but I won't be too surprised if his casting proves to suck and it ruins the chances of a flash TV show.

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Regarding his experience and roles - Apparently he's played a villian on Glee (I assume this must be the male version of "Mean Girls"?) and someone mentioned he played twins on a cop show, with different personalities. So, that's 3 very distinct roles, so, there's reason to hope he's up for the challenge acting-wise.

As far as his look, yes, he's quite the pretty boy, but, Stephen Amell has some pictures from before Arrow where he looks quite the Pretty Boy. Also, for many, his size could be a plus, I've seen many people grumble about The Flash (Or Spiderman) being portrayed by too bulky an actor, so, his smaller, toned and athletic, but, not bulky mulscular physique should be right in the wheelhouse for folks who thought John Wesley Shipp was ridiculously buffed for the part. As far as his pretty boy face, there's no reason a pretty boy face can't be taken seriously as a Forensic scientist, and NOTE: The article specifically throws in the word "Assistant", so, he's not even necessarily a fully qualified Forensics Scientist, he could be an intern, still studying.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, we all know that George Clooney guy has had a horrible career, it just totally crashed and burned after he did Roseanne and ER.:rolleyes:
    Or that Leonardo DeCaprio kid, he's had no success whatsoever.

16. kirk55555

Those are two examples. There are probably a lot more, but there are most likely just as many people who can't make the transition. I bet you this guy won't become George Cloony or DiCaprio (and I'm not really fans of them, but they are definately famous and decent at what they do). Its nothing against him, I just don't think he'll be doing too much stuff after Arrow unless he's a really good actor, which I doubt. Like i said, I'm willing to watch and hopefully be surprised.

17. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Kal Penn and John Cho have done a good job of juggling both drama and comedy in both movies and TV.

18. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe DeCaprio should credit Alan Thicke for all of his success. Also, don't forget The Facts of Life!!!

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Almost every actor has more than one type of role on there resume. I don't think I've ever come across any actor who has only done one type of in their entire career.
    Hell in just the last 3 years, Stephen Amell, the Hood himself, has been on Hung, an HBO dramedy about gigelos, New Girl, a sitcom on Fox, Private Practice, a drama about doctors and their personal live, Heartland, a family drama about a family running a horse ranch in Canda, and Arrow.

20. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

So how do you think they will develop the rogues on this show? While I know they will strike out in their own direction will it follow more closely the internally powered versions or the classic ones. Rogues I would really like to see are the Top, Cpt. Cold, Golden Glider, Boomerang, Heat Wave and Abra Kadabra. Of course Reverse Flash should be the big bad at the end of the first season.