Do your family like Star Trek?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Infern0, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My Dad was the person who got me into watching Trek, when I was about 7 years old he used to watch TNG every week religiously, and I started to watch with him, for the next decade or so we would watch whenever Trek was on, from TNG through Enterprise. It was one of few things we had in common when I was younger, as he never really "got" kids, but I learned enough about the show that it was something we could always talk about, it brought us closer together which was a great thing.

He had an accident at work one day and a bucket of hot tar fell over his arm giving him bad burns, he had to go to hospital for emergency skin grafts, they brought him round after the operation, and told him they were going to give him pain meds that would make him tired, and he refused them because "Star Trek is on in half an hour" :lol:

He misses the show, I feel sorry for him because he's not internet savvy so he hasn't got much of an outlet for his trek-love, although I bought him a Kindle and a few Trek ebooks, so hopefully he gets into that.

Anyway, do your family or any members of them like Star Trek?

2. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    No. Nor any of my friends, exes or colleagues.

Lot of Downton, Sherlock and Who fans though :)

Occasionally I'll meet a real-world fan (one is female boss of a top independent production company) and it's like finding a fellow Mason.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Family? No... I remember being sent to watch TNG weekly in the back room on a little 8 inch black and white TV because the rest of them wouldn't watch it!

Friends, sure. Heck, I've converted a number of them to at least casual fans over the years. It usually just takes getting people to get past their misconceptions about what it is about and give it a chance.

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The only person in my family who liked Trek was my now-deceased father. He took me to see Star Trek III and IV in the cinema when I was a kid, starting me off on my life-long obsession. :)

5. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Wish I'd had that :(

6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

My only family is a cat, who seems indifferent.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes they do.

They had better.

8. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Haha I have the same with my dog.

Family? No, they don't get it.
    I have converted 2 friends into watching star trek and my wife from a Voyager to an DS9 fan.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

My mother's the reason I'm a Trekkie. She sat me down to watch the UK premiere of The Next Generation and I'm sure she's regretted it ever since!:)

10. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

None of my family or friends like Star Trek. They all like Doctor Who and Star Wars but when it comes to Trek most haven't seen much beyond the odd TNG episode.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

My wife and daughter are casual fans.

12. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

My wife has absolutely no interest in Star Trek and/or Sci-Fi - and very little in movies. LOL, we both adore cats though, and have a clowder of extremely pampered pedigree felines. My "inner circle" of close friends are fellow geeks through and through though.

13. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

Yes, my family are Trek fans. My wife is not as avid a fan as I am, but likes all the crews; well not Enterprise much - but the others, and the new films too.
    My daughter is a classic-only fan, like me, and is even less a fan of the new movies than I am. She fell in love with Capt Kirk as a little girl, and never got over it. At almost 37 now, she's still thinks he's 'really cute'.
    I grew up with it, but after leaving home was never close to my brothers or parents. I didn't realize until many years later that my older brother was an avid fan too. We got to share it for only a few years before he passed away. But at least we has some time.

14. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

My dad helped get me into it as a kid. He must have started letting me watch it young, I have no idea when I saw my first episode. My grandfather is also a fan, but mostly of TOS and TNG. It took a while for me to get my mom into it, but once I started showing her DS9 she was hooked on that show.

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

My dad does; mom never got into Trek or Wars or anything like that.

I still have my copy of the Star Trek Encyclopedia with dad's Christmas note inside, probably always will, even with Memory Alpha having far surpassed it now.

16. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nope, just me. Been that way for ~40 years now.

17. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

No.

And the only friends I have who like Trek I only know online or met at conventions.

18. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

I've been a Trek fan since TOS premiered; my Mom, Dad and middle brother were casual fans. My oldest and youngest brothers and I are big fans. When my daughter was born I introduced her to TOS reruns. She turned into a big fan too. We went to the movies and she talked me into watching NG when it premiered (I believed that no one could be better than Spock and Kirk - I was wrong).

Flash forward; we continue to be big fans. My youngest brother's daughter is watching and loving Voyager right now, and my oldest brother and his wife have just finished the second go round of all the series. So yes we are fans.

19. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The same is true for me as well...

20. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

My mom liked DS9 and to a lesser extent TOS, but TNG and VOY bored her.

My grandpa liked Mr. Spock.

My grandma went with me and mom to see Star Trek V, and she liked it well enough, although she kinda rolled her eyes at the "finding God" aspect of the movie, being a very religious person herself.