X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by StarTrek1701, May 31, 2011.

?

How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2011.
  1. A+ (Great Movie!)

73 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. A (Entertained a lot!)

93 vote(s)
    45.4%
  3. B (Was okay, not bad)

30 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. C (Below expectations)

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. D (Very bad)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. F (Intolerable, want money back)

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the lack of marketing for this is really agravating. Did they even do action figures for it?

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ No. I believe someone mentioned in the news thread that Marvel lost the license for X-Men films. There were some kind of mini-mates or whatever those damn things are called but that was about it. I suspect this will change if future films are green lit.

3. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. KB24

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Calm down dear. It was a throwaway remark but a legitimate one in the context of you raising Singer's desire to direct an X4 as support for the contention that there will be an X4. FWIW, I'm a fan of Singer and of Returns but the point is that what he wants and what a studio wants aren't always the same thing.

I've also said before that I don't think there'll be an X4 by dint of the fact that too long has elapsed since X3, that 3 central characters died or appeared to die in that movie, that Stewart and McKellen may be too old to return (as indeed may Halle and Famke, in the bizarre world of Hollywood logic). We've had rebooted Hulk, Batman, Punisher and Spider-man within similar or shorter time spans.

If FC is successful enough to get sequels, I don't see Fox confusing fans by releasing alternate period sequels to it along with modern day X4, 5 and 6. I think that's about as realistic as the demands of those fans who want to see sequels to 24th century Star Trek alongside sequels to the JJ Abrams NuTrek. On the other hand, if FC isn't successful enough for a sequel (though I think it will be), then I think if there's another X-Men movie, it will be an out and out reboot. Given the success of Nolan's Batman movies and what will probably be a successful Spider-man reboot, there's no way Fox will do anything else.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry, but honestly at this point I think I'd rather just see them stick to the FC cast and storyline.

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Weekend estimates are in and First Class placed #15 and pulled in another $625K for a domestic total of $143.4m on 470 screens. Worldwide it's at $344m as of now.

What makes this week interesting is that it's poised to most likely leap frog Green Lantern(placing #14 on 973 screens) in the coming days if not over next weekend. Doing so on nearly half as many screens even.

8. KB24

Playing advocate for a moment, as there's been behind the scenes work on both First Class and Wolverine for some time. But if they didn't want to have both timelines going at the same time- or any two timelines going on at the same time- why would they be doing Wolverine now after First Class?

I said before I simply think its too late for X4. They should have done right by that one and done it to immediately correct The Last Stand. Ironically, today it probably would have been automatically redoing itself. It's like they are competing with themselves in addition to all the other comic book movies. If Wolverine proves a critical and financial success this time, which do you do next? They don't need to divide and conquer like they did after 3.

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the idea of doing an X4 based on the younger generation.

Page and Paquin are much bigger names now. Recast Colossus and Jubilee (Say Hammer and Hudgens receptively), and you have a nice cast to move the franchise forward.

Plus, Wolverine seems to be Jackman's Jack Sparrow.

Staggered releases would prevent any appearance of in-house competition.

10. Admiral_Young

Again "X4" discussions are ongoing at Fox and have been since "X3" concluded. We simply do not know when it will be announced or who will be directing (as stated countless times in this thread...due to the fact it keeps being brought up...my money is on Bryan Singer returning to direct the film and it will focus on the younger mutants being led by a recast Storm and Hugh Jackman reprising his role as Logan). We probably won't have to worry about this though until 2014 or even 15. It seems Fox is focused on "The Wolverine" and potential First Class sequels right now. Make no mistake though "X4" is in play still.

11. KB24

But why? Why go with X4 if everyone will be old and expensive and the last two films in that timeframe bombed? Why would you put aside something going good for First Class and potentially a good Wolverine redo to go back there?

If it couldn't have been done then and they felt the need ti single-ize, why would everyone be on board for it now? Just seems like they would be going backwards with an X4 when they have a window to go forward. Much as I love First Class, in hindsight, the Magneto Origins movie might not have been so bad either.

3 kind of ruined how I would feel about a fourth. As your sig says, would they ignore The Last Stand? ;)

12. Admiral_Young

Why go forward with "X4"? Answer: Because there is still interest and we all know Bryan Singer is very interested in directing another X-Men film. He almost directed "First Class" and if he wasn't already iron clad locked for "Jack the Giant Killer" he would have.

As mentioned before some of the plot and character stuff from "X-Men Origins: Magneto" was incorporated into the script and story for "X-Men: First Class". In fact Singer based part of his treatment from that script which is why it was cancelled...because First Class pretty much made it irrelevant.

I'm not saying "X4" is certain, all I am saying is that it's a very distinct possibility and there are tons of story lines and characters they do. It's even very possible if Singer comes aboard he will ahem ignore "The Last Stand" ;)

13. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

A) Both movies share the existing timeline

B) The Wolverine will make money. ;)

14. KB24

More news on video releases! September 9 supposedly. And of course, NOW they roll out exclusive t-shirts and 'Team Erik' versus 'Team Charles' artwork. Little late!

http://www.sneakpeek.ca/2011/07/x-men-first-class-dvd-september-9-2011.html

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=79929

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/X-Men-First-Class-Blu-ray-Release-Date-and-Cover-Art/9245

That does look like a cool cover though! The t-shirts are for pre-order at comic con only though? That stinks. I will pre order if it comes with something cool.

15. Admiral_Young

I really like those covers.

16. KB24

I know. Some of the articles say it is all limited. So I really hope these covers and the t-shirts are not only with Comic Con. Why are they promoting so heavy there after the fact? Hopefully you'll be able to choose a cover and get something at places like Movie Stop.

17. Admiral_Young

It is strange that they're unloading gear at SDCC. They had zero promotion or presence last year when they should have been. It really is a sign of how cautious Fox was with this movie in the first place.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sweet. It's coming out the same week as my birthday, so it's a perfect birthday present.

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

DVD on Sept.9, interesting that's before Thor by weeks and it opened after. Guess not long after it crosses $145m domestic they are going to pull the film?

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Damn, not even four months and it will already be out on dvd. That was quick. :eek: