Best HBO Series

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Lapis Exilis, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What do you think?

I've actually only watched a few HBO offerings. I tried to watch Sopranos, but since I see everything on DVD, it was difficult. I'm sure it was great if you caught it once a week, but sitting down to two or three hours or even two or three nights in a row of that stuff got really depressing, really fast so I had to bail. Meanwhile, I can honestly say the writing was superb.

Then there was Deadwood, which was so wonderfully weird and brilliant - cut short in its prime. *sigh*

I could watch Rome a thousand times (and am well on my way). Troubled though its second season was, the acting, the atmosphere, the writing - fabulous!

I am now on Six Feet Under, which is delightful. Funny, poignant and odd, I understand that it, unlike so many shows, ends wonderfully (NO SPOILERS - and I mean it!)

What are the other greats from HBO and what would you consider the best of the best?

2. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would have to vote for Deadwood with Rome a close second an an honorable mention for the former HBO program Inside The NFL.

3. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

The Wire.

eta: btw, (major spoiler!)

I disagree that it ended well. Nate should have died in that cliffhanger two seasons (or whatever it was) earlier. I hated the character.

4. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Deadwood. I think just about everything about that show was excellent. Two or three more seasons were certainly warranted.

5. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't seen a whole lot of HBO series, but I love Curb Your Enthusiasm, and The Sopranos. I've seen part of Six Feet Under and The Wire, but not enough to make an informed decision.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

From the Earth to the Moon

7. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The Wire, easily.

I liked Six Feet Under, though the only perfect season is the first (though the second season comes close).

9. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Gotta be The Wire with Rome coming in a close second.

10. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

11. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Another vote for Deadwood. It really was excellent in every way: a superb cast, wonderfully written scripts with complex characters, an authentic look and feel, and it was absolutely riveting.

12. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Curb Your Enthusiasm for me. I can't get enough of it. The last season was brilliant. Currently really getting into Boardwalk Empire.

13. Shikarnov

Shikarnov Rear Admiral Premium Member

Pittsburgh, PA - (TX, CT, & RF in years past)
    Not much of an HBO fan here. Sex and the City, and Dream On are probably my two favorites. Showtime has a much better list I think.

14. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Wire, Oz, and Rome for recent years...

Dream On, Larry Sanders, and Tales from the Crypt for the 1990s.

15. Teelie

Teelie Vice Admiral Admiral

True Blood IMO. It's a very good series. I liked Deadwood, 6 Feet Under and started getting into Rome only for it to get canned a few weeks after I started watching it.

I do remember Dream On. I was very young at the time so some of it was over my head and for my age it was very raunchy and titillating. Oh and Tales From the Crypt. That was also a great series.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  16. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Seconded, since everyone else has mine covered.

17. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Dream On and Larry Sanders

18. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Wire is the best, but The Larry Sanders Show was really great and ahead of its time. Shows like "Curb" and The Office owe it a lot.

Not TV & Media, BTW?

Justin

19. SPOCKED

SPOCKED Admiral Premium Member

I don't have HBO and haven't in many years. But I do have the John Adams DVD. Awesome series!

Indeed :)

20. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Six Feet Under, Oz and The Sopranos, followed by Deadwood. I also have a soft spot for Rome, True Blood and Carnivale. I still haven't seen The Wire.

On the negative side... and there's just one show on the negative side: I hate, and I mean really hate Sex and the City.